Garmin Nuvi 1450

bratbasset

Does anyone know if you can get the cache names to show up on the Garmin Nuvi 1450? I copy over the gpx file to the Nuvi and it shows the cache names in my favorites but does not display them on the map screen. I know that when I copied gpx files to my old Nuvi 255 the cache names showed up on the map, really a nice feature. Any help is appreciated.

Does anyone know if you can get the cache names to show up on the Garmin Nuvi 1450? I copy over the gpx file to the Nuvi and it shows the cache names in my favorites but does not display them on the map screen. I know that when I copied gpx files to my old Nuvi 255 the cache names showed up on the map, really a nice feature. Any help is appreciated.

I am having the same problem! Seems to me you could copy a gpx file and be done!

I am having the same problem! Seems to me you could copy a gpx file and be done!

No, the problem is that how Groundspeak defines a GPX with geocaches should look like is different from what Garmin thinks their "favorites" GPX file should look like. The Nuvi 500 and 550 is meant for geocaching, so supports Groundspeak extensions. The other Nuvis do not. What gets recognized is the coordinates and the GC # (not the cache name) and no details.

I'm not sure why favorites entries does not show up on the 1450. Might be one of the settings.

Bought a new Garmin 1450LM this week. Loaded up a GPX file and found the symbols on the map to be small black squares. Checked in editing and they were loaded as a treasure chest symbol. Hmmm. Changed the symbol in the editing function to several others with the same results.

Contacted Garmin and was connected with a computer software guy by mistake ... best thing that every happened. He understood the problem and verified that Garmin knew about it and was working on a fix. Couldn't say when it would be fixed, but promised to send me an e-mail when it was.

So, if you have a 1xxx series Nuvi and you can change the POI sympols, you might think twice about upgrading the firmware in your unit until Garmin fixes the problem. Version 5.2 is the newest and has the problem ... version 4.9 doesn't have the problem. Don't know about 5.0 and 5.1 ... sorry.

I just updated my Nuvi 1300 and now have the problem of all geocaches appearing as small black dots rather than the symbols I used to get. I use GSAK and export .GPX file which has always worked for me until the software upgrade. Has anyone found a fix?

My 1450 seems to be fine now that they got a update. I am running 5.40

Edited by Mobcacher

Hi Mobcacher, I have not been using a macro, I have been exporting gpx file from GSAK and copying it to my Nuvi1300 and up until sugrading the software I always got geocache symbols on the Nivi map, I now only get black dots. If I go into the GC waypoint on the Nuvi and edit the waypoint, the symbol shows as correct IE a treasurechest, I can change it to something else but the map does not change. From this it seems the problem is the firmware upgrade on the Nuvi but I cant find a way back to the previous version

Nevryan

When you just export a gpx file your caches show up in your adressbook ? I load mine as a poi file...

1. Export cache.gpx file to a folder

2. Have a icon cache.bmp with the same name in that

3. Then run garmin poi loader program and point it to that folder with your files

See if that works i think the icon has to be 24x24 max I can emal you the one I use

Hi Mobcacher, thanks for the info, I will give that a go. The 2 gpx files of closest to home unfound caches (and child waypoints) arrived in my e-mail in box as a zip file (from pq generator) the good thing for me was that droppingthe zip file into GSAK and then exporting gpx file gave me a file I could copy to my Nuvi and each cache type got a different icon suggested parking even got a P. When I edit the waypoints transferred to the Nuvi after the software upgrade they all have the correct symbols I want the Nuvi just does not display them. Does the POI loader allow different icons for different cache types?

Hi Mobcacher, thanks for the info, I will give that a go. The 2 gpx files of closest to home unfound caches (and child waypoints) arrived in my e-mail in box as a zip file (from pq generator) the good thing for me was that droppingthe zip file into GSAK and then exporting gpx file gave me a file I could copy to my Nuvi and each cache type got a different icon suggested parking even got a P. When I edit the waypoints transferred to the Nuvi after the software upgrade they all have the correct symbols I want the Nuvi just does not display them. Does the POI loader allow different icons for different cache types?

It will but you will have to use a macro I will send you a link .

Here is the one i use

Nuvi GSAK MACRO

Well, I screwed up while updating the maps ... must of hit the wrong button 'cuz the firmware updated to version 5.4 and the favorite icons are back to little black squares. I can't believe a company as big as Garmin would have a problem like this and not fix it. I've known about it for four months ... wonder how long they have known about it.

First Garmin I've owned ... maybe the last.

Cheers,

Tom

Well, I screwed up while updating the maps ... must of hit the wrong button 'cuz the firmware updated to version 5.4 and the favorite icons are back to little black squares. I can't believe a company as big as Garmin would have a problem like this and not fix it. I've known about it for four months ... wonder how long they have known about it.

First Garmin I've owned ... maybe the last.

Cheers,

Tom