MOVE IT!!!

JaKaching

The cachers who don't play by the rules probably don't participate in this forum but I need to vent! Why do people have two or more Travel Bugs in their possession for months at a time?

If someone isn't actively visiting caches then they should NOT be taking the bugs. Maybe we need to start putting cameras out with trip-wires next to the caches and posting the pics of the naughty geocachers who don't play nice!

LOL!!

I feel better - Right!

I am one of those who currently is holding more than 1 travel bug. One of them I am planning on adding to a cache that I will be creating the next time I get home. The other I am still holding because I am waiting until I travel in the right direction before I add it to a cache. Not all of us are holding them just for the sake of having them in our possession.

I plan to do just that this very weekend. Next week I'm driving to Colorado and the week after that, I'm headed to California by plane. I thought I'd give some local bugs a good hike far from home.

As for your assumed "rules", ummm, there aren't any. We have some guidelines about things like food, booze, cigarettes, etc., but where is it written that "thou shalt only have one travel bug in thy possession" or "thou shalt stick to the cache theme"? I don't remember seeing them. If I did, I would probably ignore them anyway.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

At times there are circumstances...

if the cache is wet, if the cache is not getting decent traffic or if the cache is not in route for the bug, I can understand some delay.

I agree! What is a little while in the hands of someone if it is going to spend a lot longer in a cache...

quote:
I can understand some delay.
There's a difference between "some delay" and the original poster's "months at a time". It all comes down to what's reasonable. If a bug is going to stay in one place for months at a time then I (for one) would rather it spent those months in a cache (where it has at least some chance of being picked up) than on some cacher's mantlepiece (where it's got no chance of moving until said cacher gets out again)...

I've no problem with a cacher moving several bugs at a time if they can make a good (developing) story out of it, including log notes in the bug pages..

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I would assume that a bug could be placed in a cache, for storage, and then retrieved for placement in another cache if it is still unmoved. That way the bug has a chance of moving along. icon_confused.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I would assume that a bug could be placed in a cache, for storage, and then retrieved for placement in another cache if it is still unmoved. That way the bug has a chance of moving along. icon_confused.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I had a traveler longer than expected once. It wasn't a TB. It was the traveling Blau Fuzz Lezzard from the Lacamas Lake trail cacheLacamas Lake. I picked it up with the intent of placing it in the next cache I visisted. The next 2 caches I visited were not found. It was a couple weeks later before I got a chance to go caching again. This time I had good luck and found a cache. I placed it in the High Power CacheHigh Power.

I am one who has had a bug for a while. But here is my excuse:

1. The bug wants to "move south".

2. I meant to drop it on a trip to AZ, but didn't find any caches. (Lack of planning)

3. Proceeded to take trips to Oregon and Ohio, but ALAS, these are not south.

4. e-mailed owner, but no response.

When I make it to a cache south of where I found it, I'll drop it. But, I feel by e-mailing the owner, I'm exempt. I offered several solutions, but they haven't responded.

But, I do feel very guilty. But if the goal is not printed on a card with the bug, how am I supposed to know until I pick it up and check the page...

Would it be rude to just ignore the goal to get it moving?

/Alienpuppy

Sometimes the size of the travel bug is also a factor. I have one now that I'd planned to move along last weekend, but it was too large to fit in the cache I'd hoped to place it in. I would have had to remove several large items in order to leave the bug.

I'll be doing some maintenance (including upgrading the size of the container) on one of my caches tomorrow, so I will probably drop off the bug there. icon_smile.gif

~Zhanna

Sometimes the size of the travel bug is also a factor. I have one now that I'd planned to move along last weekend, but it was too large to fit in the cache I'd hoped to place it in. I would have had to remove several large items in order to leave the bug.

I'll be doing some maintenance (including upgrading the size of the container) on one of my caches tomorrow, so I will probably drop off the bug there. icon_smile.gif

~Zhanna

I only take bugs for the sake of moving them and it really depends on where they want to go but I have moved as many as three at a time but I try to bring back the same amount if it is applicable. I'd say a month should be a limit on holding them. If your travel plans are that unreliable then put the thing where someone else can get it , photo it or whatever while you had it, and if no one gets it, go back and take another stab at it. I did this out of guilt with the Mrs. Ghotti bug and then went and added 1400 miles to it.

Just an idea. You can call it Zappers proposal #1 (yes I started a Zapper's List of proposals)

[This message was edited by The Bug Zapper on August 05, 2002 at 07:03 PM.]

Hey man! I feel the same way- I have had a TB in posssesion for a three week period once but that is just because I knew I could take it where it wanted to go, in an acceptable amount of time. I feel if you cannot move the bug quickly you should leave it for maybe someone else that travels more to take.

Have a GREAT day!

D'OH!

SIMPSON

Picked up a Tbug last week on our second find (woohoo!). He's headed back east to my own home state, so I felt a personal obligation...

We planned a trip some miles east in general direction Tbug wanted to go. But today's trip yielded no finds for this GPSless team, so alas! he must return to abide with us for another week until we can venture again. (I think we're feeding him too well - he seems to be putting on quite a bit of weight).

Perhaps travelers should post in advance if they'll be in the area of a Tbug and willing to help on its journey. Even though I'm new to this, it was immediately clear to me that the Tbug's owner didn't invest in the tag so I could hold on to it for weeks or months at a time. Stuff happens - we couldn't send him on the next leg of his trip as soon as we would have liked; but we have every intention of doing so at the next opportunity. It may take two or three weeks before we manage to move him further east; if we still don't succeed, we'll put him back in the cache we found him in. (NOTE: we did contact the holder of the other Tbug who's supposed to be meeting our guest... it hasn't moved yet either).

Had anyone planned to pick the bug up and take him further, they should have posted a note to both the bug's page and the cache to let others watching the bug (or the cache) know they were planning to move it on. Had we seen such a post, we never would have taken it.

Perhaps you could email cachers who have located the cache or placed caches in the general area to see if they can contact who has the bug? I dunno.

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me

[This message was edited by MyBoys&Me on August 05, 2002 at 06:54 PM.]

Picked up a Tbug last week on our second find (woohoo!). He's headed back east to my own home state, so I felt a personal obligation...

We planned a trip some miles east in general direction Tbug wanted to go. But today's trip yielded no finds for this GPSless team, so alas! he must return to abide with us for another week until we can venture again. (I think we're feeding him too well - he seems to be putting on quite a bit of weight).

Perhaps travelers should post in advance if they'll be in the area of a Tbug and willing to help on its journey. Even though I'm new to this, it was immediately clear to me that the Tbug's owner didn't invest in the tag so I could hold on to it for weeks or months at a time. Stuff happens - we couldn't send him on the next leg of his trip as soon as we would have liked; but we have every intention of doing so at the next opportunity. It may take two or three weeks before we manage to move him further east; if we still don't succeed, we'll put him back in the cache we found him in. (NOTE: we did contact the holder of the other Tbug who's supposed to be meeting our guest... it hasn't moved yet either).

Had anyone planned to pick the bug up and take him further, they should have posted a note to both the bug's page and the cache to let others watching the bug (or the cache) know they were planning to move it on. Had we seen such a post, we never would have taken it.

Perhaps you could email cachers who have located the cache or placed caches in the general area to see if they can contact who has the bug? I dunno.

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me

[This message was edited by MyBoys&Me on August 05, 2002 at 06:54 PM.]

quote:
but it was too large to fit in the cache I'd hoped to place it in. I would have had to remove several large items in order to leave the bug.
My solution to that was to drop the bug at the cache and then grab it again, adding something to the bug's story along the way. At least that way the bug was collecting stories, and it _had_ visited the cache in question, if only briefly.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I personally do not think it's very courteous to grab a travel bug unless you have something in mind to do with it that is going to happen within the next couple of weeks, perhaps. Otherwise -- let someone else get it!

One thing I do try to do it pass a bug on to someone who is going to a farther away cache, if I'm not going to be able to move it myself. They can log it as "grabbed it".

Someone has had one of my bugs (Spangle) since the middle of June and failed to log it at all. That really pisses me off. I am going to visit the cache it was taken from (and is still shown as being) and see what's going on. What a lot of trouble for nothing... Someone could have logged it and saved all this hassle. Or perhaps, being a bear beanie baby, he has been stolen...

Becky

I recently picked up a travel bug without knowing the tasking it had while visiting Ottawa. I later found out that it was heading west when I was heading back to Halifax, therefore I figured it should be returned to the same cache "Ottawa Airport #1". I normally check the tasking before heading out, but not this time. I believe we should keep to the tasking at hand and try to move the travel bug in the direction desired, unless it has no specific task but to travel to as many caches as possible. This is my thought anyway...