Almost a very expensive cache find

Har_D

Today, I was on my way to the grocery store and decided to try for a cache that required a fair amount of bushwhacking along with a couple fences to hop and a considerable hill. It took me a while to find the cache. My coords were off and I kept circling the wrong tree. I finally found it, signed the log, and made my way back to the car. After I had done my grocery shopping and went through the check out I suddenly realized I couldn't find my envelope full of cash that had been budgeted for groceries. It had been in my back pocket but it wasn't there now. Uh Oh! After paying with the dreaded debit card and packing up my groceries I headed back to the cache. I bushwhacked my way back to the cache and sure enough, I found not just the cache again but also my "cash" right were I had knelt down to sign the log. lucky me! otherwise whoever found this cach next would have got some pretty good swag!

I was caching once while at work as a paramedic (no worries - no patients were harmed during our activities!). Actually, I was PLACING a cache when I evidently dropped my $50 stethoscope out of my cargo pants pocket!

I only realized I'd lost that instrument at the end of my shift, at 6AM the next morning! I searched my ambulance, the Emergency Department, several other locations, and thought I had maybe not even brought it to work. I went home, spent 2 days turning the house upside down searching for this item that had been a CHRISTMAS GIFT from my brother several years prior!

When the cache was finally published, I still had not made the connection between it and my missing "set of ears". A friend of mine was the FTF and he called to ask if I was missing my stethoscope.

We met up the following afternoon and I had my "ole friend" back in my posession!

JodyC_GoHogs

Bryant, Arkansas

Two years ago I found a cache after a 2km hike in the woods. When I got back to the train station and opened my backpack to drink some water, I noticed my tripod was missing (the tripod was longer than the backpack and sticking out). I tracked my steps back all the way to the cache, but didn't found the tripod. The last place where I used it was another 4 km away, but it was already dusk, I had no flashlight and the last train was leaving in 30 minutes - I had no time to track back to the other cache. I looked around where I was standing, and found the tripod about 15 meters away. A branch pulled it out while I was going around GZ, trying to locate the cache.

Finding a tripod in a black cover, on the dark ground, in the dark, which I had no idea where I dropped - that was a feat.

I think this would qualify as the alomst most expensive find.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/110410_A_t...State_Park.html

This article did come to mind when I was searching for my cash envelope. I was relieved to know that I wasnt so stupid to haul around that much cash or leave my whole pack behind. The old phrase, "She would lose her head if it wasn't screwed on" must really apply to this gal!

Left my keys (house, cars, office,etc) on top of a cache once as I had taken them out of my pocket to get a pen to sign the log. No idea why I didn't pick them up when I replaced the cache in its hiding spot. I had biked to the cache so I didn't notice they were missing until the next morning as we were packing to go on a trip. Looked all over (I had no idea they were at the cache, completely forgot I had taken them out) but finally gave up as the cab arrived to take us to the airport. Fretted about where they could be all during that vacation. Got home and got an email from the next cacher to log that cache. She had found the keys, looked at the log and thought they might be mine and had taken them to her local police station for safekeeping. One of my warmest and fuzziest experiences in geocaching :mad:

One time when I was on call, I was looking around in the woods for a cache. I went to check my cell phone and found it was missing. To make things worse, it was starting to get dark and the battery on the phone was low. After about 10 minutes of retracing my steps, looking around, worrying, and wondering what I would do if I had an emergency call, I found it lying on the ground.

I was geocaching in the woods in the snow one year, and the friend I was hiking with was behind me.

Soon he came up with my hiking staff in hand and gave me hell for being so careless as to drop a 50.00 hiking staff while I was taking off my gloves.

After we got to the next cache I was still putting on my pack as he walked off. I got up to go and realized his GPRr that he had recently paid 600.00 for was lying on the snow as he trudged off. I picked it up and didnt' say a word and waited. Sure enough, before long he starts suddenly patting down all of his pockets urgently. I started laughing.

"You looking for this?" I had a good laugh over it. He was just embarrassed.

The tale of the “Cell phone Cache”

On December 10 we went caching around our community and “Where the Sidewalk Ends” was on our list. We first headed out into the woods behind a local gas station to look for our first cache of the day and had no luck. We then headed to “Where the Sidewalk ends”, and after some searching struck pay dirt. We were feeling good. We tried our local Blooms to try and find our third cache, and then headed home. The next morning we had an early rise (we’re crafters and had a show.) I went to retrieve my cell phone but it was .nowhere to be found. So I called it. It rang and rang but not a sound in the house or in the car. It wasn’t here. We did the craft shows and called it a couple of time thinking someone may have found it and would answer. No luck. Finished the show, headed home and went out to search by retracing our steps. We started at “the Sidewalk Ends” first, called it and could here a very faint ring. It had dropped out of my coat pocket (along with my pen that I never realized was missing) and was lying under the leaves in a ditch that I had been looking at the day before, and it was none worst for the experience. I think this “Cell Phone Cache” was my best fine of that day.

Twice I almost lost my GPS. On my first ever cache hunt I dropped my eTrex on the ground near the cache. However, I didn't realize this until I had bushwahcked about 1/2 mile back to the trail. So I went back into the woods, and since I had no GPS, promptly got lost. An hour later I finally got to the cache site by a stroke of luck and recovered the lost GPS.

The second time our Oregon 400t was left in the rental car before the flight home. We completely forgot until we were 1500 miles away unpacking the suitcase and noticing missing GPS. Luckily the rental company called the next day saying they had found it and shipped it back.

We've been caching since 2005 and actually only log about a third of our finds. Some of the things we've found... Skis poles and boots, brand new with tags- it was spring too. A new vacuum cleaner in the woods. Why?? My son who was a teenager at the time found a loaded gun lying next to our first cache while we were doing maintenance. We called my husband to come and disarm it and turned it in to the police. We've found goggles, countless pairs of sunglasses, fishing poles and our favorite.. a unopened case of cold beer with cups. No one was around, no boats on the pond, no one on the trail, and it was early Sunday morning. The beer was literally right on the trail on a bench. A Saturday night party in the woods canceled?? We helped ourselves to some beer for later and left a thank you note. :rolleyes: Sewmama