Puzzle caches

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the game of geocaching, However i'm finding great enjoyment in all aspects so far. I particularly like the challenge of the puzzle caches specifically the ciphers and the caches you have to figure the cords out before heading out into the field.

So I was wondering. What are the GCs of some of the tougher puzzles you guys and gals have seen our there? I like to maybe get some ideas for a few tough puzzle caches

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the game of geocaching, However i'm finding great enjoyment in all aspects so far. I particularly like the challenge of the puzzle caches specifically the ciphers and the caches you have to figure the cords out before heading out into the field.

So I was wondering. What are the GCs of some of the tougher puzzles you guys and gals have seen our there? I like to maybe get some ideas for a few tough puzzle caches

Some of the best out there are the Dastardly Manhattan Puzzle Caches

Also, there is a series called PMC (Puzzle Master's Challenge). There are four of them. PMC, PMC2, PMCX (high terrain, as well as hard puzzles), PMCLite (easier puzzles).

Here is the final for the first of the series that came out. Notice the GC code is GCZZZZ.

I'm no good at puzzles + we don't have many around here (Only Team KFWB GPS caches which require a lot of work and travel, which I don't want to do :) ).

The hardest puzzle cache I did (even though it didn't involve an actual puzzle) was a projection cache. You were supposed to project a line from the posted coordinates, and on that bearing was a tree with a tag number on it and a cache below.

Difficulty 1

Took 4 tries! I looked and looked, any tree I could find I checked. Turned out the cache was below a tree about 5 meters from the posted coords! :)

I usually just stick to the caches where you have to research answers, not try to figure out some weird riddle. B)

This cache took a lot of running, and even swimming because we were doing it as part of a race.

I love the puzzles also

Sometimes they make me think longer/harder than I really need to

One I just solved, havent found yet, was a story giving directions like left and we took five steps and we hit a dead end

There was some italics to help seperate different numbers/directions and I spent probably an hour on it trying to figure it out and then I read the hint and it hit me what to use to crack it

Speaking of cracking - here are a couple Cipher Puzzles that took a buddy and myself a while to crack

GC2GKEE - Cracker Box

GC2GYPY - Cracker Box #2

Those were fun to figure out!

We also have a Puzzle Event coming up in January - if time permits, I would like to go and check it out

Racettes

Although I haven't made the 700 mile trip to find the physical container the most difficult puzzle cache that I've solved is The Key to the Cryptonomicon. I spent over a month working on it before I obtained the final solution. I didn't work on it every day but I'd put in an hour or so on it most days during that time. Not only does it require solving numerous ciphers but it's all full of red herrings, some of them extremely elaborate. This is not a puzzle that you're going to solve on a Friday afternoon.

I've looked at a bunch of the caches in the Puzzle Masters Challenge series (only the first series) and quite a few of them appear to be quite difficult but as I haven't actually solved any to completion I can't really compare them to Cryptonomicon.

The hardest one I have seen is GC26A9P Fishing Hole

Only one find since June.

I've had no luck at all with the series ending at GCXXX2 PMC2 Final - Spy Stories

Still not solved, published in March

The hardest that I have logged is GC2FQNT Tales from the Crypt. I solved it a few weeks ago but took 3 attempts to make the grab, this afternoon. I had been saving it as my 100th find. Now I can go start looking for other caches again (I reached 99 and my first fail on this one on Oct 31).