zip code search not working properly

eagleyes

Just to be clear - from what screen and what field are you typing in a zip code??

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx

here is the screen - I type in the zip in both the address and the zip lines- and the caches that come up are not for that zip but another city 20 miles away-

Those are separate search fields enirely and do not work together. Either you type in an address (including xcity and state) OR you type in a zip code.

The Address (even if just a city and state) tends to work the best. Either way, it appears that Google is providing the backend data.

"Those are separate search fields enirely and do not work together. Either you type in an address (including xcity and state) OR you type in a zip code." to starbrand- yes I know they are separate - if I type in either on separate occsions- first the address and that puts me 20 miles into another town and then I go back and just do the zip and it puts me 20 miles into the same town- I can only get caches to show up if I put in the city and state I want to see- doesn't work with the zip in either line on 2 separate occasions-

This appears to be a Google issue. Eagleyes (a local cacher) emailed me with the zipcode for Ely, MN (55731) If you search Google for 55731, you will get results in text for Ely, MN 55731, but the map puts you twenty miles or so to the west of Ely.

I have heard that Google is good at fixing reported map issues. Has anybody here reported issues to them in the past?

I gave up on searching by zip code a long time ago, when I put mine in and it centered six miles north (in a different zip code!) If I used Google Maps to find a route from (my town) to anywhere, it would start me off in a condo complex three miles north of town (in a different town and zip code.) Just tried the zip code search, and it puts me in the condo complex.

Google may be willing to correct errors... But there product is so flawed that it is an embarassment. I am astonished that anyone would market a product with so many errors!