Muggle leaves in a hury

BHGHOST

While on a cache hunt we had found the container in a pile of deadwood, as we were trading items our pack broke and all our goodies fell on the ground. While picking up things a guy walked past us, shortley after he returned and stood across the path. Bent down picking up the goodies, worried about the cache, I reached up to my wife and said " Hon pass me the toilet paper " well off the guy went we never saw him again in the park. Could have probabley handled this in a different way, but it was cold, we had been out all day, tired, needless to say, it worked the guy ran off, to get out of the area. :laughing::rolleyes:

Edited by BHGHOST

Have a very difficult time with the "stealth" thing...more than once...we've had people slow down...and some (in cars) actually drive past a little and then stop...and FOLLOW us!!!

We TRY to be stealthy...but, just don't really get it. how DO you get some of these caches in high muggle areas!!! We've abandoned many due to this!

Have a very difficult time with the "stealth" thing...more than once...we've had people slow down...and some (in cars) actually drive past a little and then stop...and FOLLOW us!!!

We TRY to be stealthy...but, just don't really get it. how DO you get some of these caches in high muggle areas!!! We've abandoned many due to this!

One of the biggest things is to act you are exactly where you are supposed to be doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. It's when you start looking like you are trying to be "stealthy" that people get suspicious.

I probably could say that, if ii new what a muggle was. Like a muggle in harry potter? or like mugger or cache :) ?

muggle=non-geocacher, someone who doesn't know the game

wow that was quick, am i a muggle? only done caching at a camp, (but i have read the sight head to toe)

This is one of the reason some of us don't care for the term. I personally use the term non-cacher. You have been caching, you know about caching, you are a cacher. You might not be in a position to do it much now but that doesn't change your desire. Don't let a label scare you from the game.

Most of the caches I do are in highly trafficked areas in New York. Usually if it gets heavy with other people i'll just stop and look around. People don't really pay attention to someone looking around them in a large crowd. If there are only a few people out and my presence is a little more obvious, I'll try to make it look like I'm waiting on someone, i'll worriedly look around my in every direction, check my phone, check my watch, etc. When they're gone I get back to it.

I'm rarely stealthy, I always act like I belong there--like I'm a surveyor or I work for the city. Even if you've got kids around you can always act like you're showing them something about the structure/area you're looking in. Though if approached, I'd totally come clean about what I was doing. Honesty is the best policy, but silent muggles can think you're official and belong there.

That's too funny...great share. For me it depends on how many muggles, if it's a large group we act all stealthy or move on. If it is only one and they look reasonable enough I actually explain to them what we are doing.

I have then had them ask me for the website as it sounds like fun.....I also find I am explaining our hobby more and more to friends and family as our 4 year old announces she likes Treasure hunting and starts telling them we are the blue dot and the treasure is the green and she gets toys out of the box in a tree....lol

My kids have recently decided stealth is stupid. They call out "Did you find the geocache yet?" or "are you geocaching, too?", just to be annoying. Oh well. I try not to take them to high traffic places or non-parks anymore. Most "muggles" in the parks that we go to are families and probably would not steal caches anyway.

My kids have recently decided stealth is stupid. They call out "Did you find the geocache yet?" or "are you geocaching, too?", just to be annoying. Oh well. I try not to take them to high traffic places or non-parks anymore. Most "muggles" in the parks that we go to are families and probably would not steal caches anyway.

Caching with your own pack of muggles lol

I try to be stealthy, I have knelt down to tie my shoe countless times. Once I even "fell" in front of some people so I could look underneath a bench(I found it!)

I once was looking around a Handicap Parking sign, and the old lady across the street came over and asked me what I was doing. I simply explained I work for a surveyor who has a contract with a group supporting disabled Americans, and that I am marking the location of every Handicap spot in the area. Completely off the top of my head, and she went for it hook line and sinker.

My wife is not to stealthy, she figures that I can just explain it to them and we will be fine. This is the case so far, but I am worried.

I love going at night to me being stealthy is half the fun of the game. Best self cammo strategy i ever did was sprawl spread eagle belly down on the side of the road to blend in as a car passed. Was hilarious and an adrenaline rush. Of course me and my friends are a lot different then a day of caching with your family. But still you gota use tactics when ur walknig around o nthe side of the road at 4 am :lol:

That reminds me of one of the first five caches I found. #4 I think. It was a lamp post cache in a Wal-Mart parking in a town I somewhat frequent. There's only one entrance to the store and we were on the other side of the parking lot from it.

My mother (who had come along with me that day--which is why I was at Wal-Mart that particular time) and I were parked beside it and I was signing the log.

Several cars made it a point to drive by. Clearly to see what we were doing due to us being well out of the way of a typical path the cars should have taken to leave the parking lot :laughing:

Edited by DarthJustice