I'm new, can someone explain the purpose of this cache to me?

I've just been reading about the different caches in my area and came across this one.

GC1QBJ6

I have no clue what the point is.

Is it that the cache owner goes around collecting TB's and putting them in his cache in order to make more people want to come and find it? I know I am new and maybe just misunderstanding but it seems kind of unfair, especially to those who own the TB's.

Looks like no one can find the cache.

My other question is, if I were to find this or whomever finds it next, do they just rescue one TB and leave the rest?

Sorry if this is a lame question, I am just confused by this one...

I've just been reading about the different caches in my area and came across this one.

GC1QBJ6

I have no clue what the point is.

Is it that the cache owner goes around collecting TB's and putting them in his cache in order to make more people want to come and find it? I know I am new and maybe just misunderstanding but it seems kind of unfair, especially to those who own the TB's.

Looks like no one can find the cache.

My other question is, if I were to find this or whomever finds it next, do they just rescue one TB and leave the rest?

Sorry if this is a lame question, I am just confused by this one...

Looks like a Travel Bug Hotel that is a three leg multi, first two legs micros. All the recent DNF'ers seem to be new cachers. Plenty of logs from last Spring and earlier calling it an easy find. One observation, a multi should not be listed as a micro, and should be listed as a regular, the size of the final container (an ammo box, in this case).

Looks like a Travel Bug Hotel (a large cache usually intended for the trade and storage of TB's and coins). But due to the difficulty and being a multi it has turned into a prison (no recent finders and all the TB's are thus trapped) plus the owner is adding more TB's (to entice finders?) but not removing TB's on request of the owenrs.

If I found it I would resue all the TB's because they have been there for awhile and the cache owner is not helping.

I haven't done that one, so I can only guess, based upon what I've read. This is what's known as a TB Hotel. Generally these are hidden near major roadways so travelers will have a handy place to drop off travel bugs and geocoins. Those folks who are local to the cache, and are planning a trip out of town could also stop by and pick up a bug or two to take with them.

A few things confused me initially:

A TB Hotel is generally large enough to hold a few TBs. This one is listed as a micro. I see in the owner's note that there is an ammo can involved, but as it is a multicache, you'd have to find a couple micros first, then the ammo can. Perhaps the owner made it a multi for TB security? They thought that a multi was less likely to get muggled than a traditional?

The utter lack of text on the cache page threw me as well.

I glanced at a few other caches owned by the same person, and didn't find any other blank cache pages.

The clue tells me that there is a combination lock on the ammo can.

Good luck!

Seems to me that the CO is just using it as an easy drop-off point for other TBs they pick up. It's not a horrible idea. I know from going to events that an awful lot of TBs can be dropped at an event and they might not all get picked up. This is one way of re-distributing them without too much work on the part of the person who ends up holding them. It's not really all that different from a "TB Hotel" except its more of a launch point.

Thanks guys! Still not sure if I will attempt it since I always have three kids in tow. Maybe though.

I guess I understand the TB Hotel thing but it doesn't seem kosher for the owner to keep collecting and adding them to it, but I guess it's ok if you all say so.

So if I were to find it I should rescue the ones who's owners want to get them on the move again?

I don't want to piss off the cache owner, looks like he or they may live nearby...

Awe what a newbie I am...lol

Thanks guys! Still not sure if I will attempt it since I always have three kids in tow. Maybe though.

I guess I understand the TB Hotel thing but it doesn't seem kosher for the owner to keep collecting and adding them to it, but I guess it's ok if you all say so.

So if I were to find it I should rescue the ones who's owners want to get them on the move again?

I don't want to piss off the cache owner, looks like he or they may live nearby...

As per rules of the game, TB's are NOT the property of the cache, nor the holder. Rescue as many as you feel you can move on.

As per rules of the game, TB's are NOT the property of the cache, nor the holder. Rescue as many as you feel you can move on.

Take as many as you can assist. If the cache owner wants to complain, send them here.

When it comes to travellers and trackables, the "take one, leave one" malarkey defines a prison. Ignore such directives if you see them in the cache write-up.

Travellers and trackables are not governed by the same rules as trading items.

Travellers and trackables are intended by their owners to move. If you can do that for them, then do it. Even a short distance moved is better than leaving it or them behind because you don't have another to replace it.

Cache owners have no providence over travellers and trackables placed in their caches, and therefore have no right to post or try to enforce any rules about them.

Please...take as many as you can, and move them, spread them out to other caches, getting them travelling, as per the wishes of the traveller's owners.

Edited by Pup Patrol

While I think the CO should check on DNF's a little more frequently when they are holding a lot of TB's, I don't understand the difficulty issue and calling it a prison. It's only a 3.5/2. If I was CO I would have checked on it by now and posted a note. Normally newbie DNF's and months between finds don't worry me. Anything over a 2/2 gets lonely for periods of time. In this case the CO is using it for above average SWAG and should check on it accordingly. If I found the cache in good shape, I would just take 1 TB and leave the rest for future finders. If I found the cache broken, or exposed or wayyyyy off coords, I would probably take them all and redistribute.

The clue tells me that there is a combination lock on the ammo can.

In the cache owner's note of August 6, he says: "The first two parts are small (micos) and the third is a nice new Ammo box chained to a tree. Here's a hint, find Red Silence and cross the street and go towards the canal. Good luck from there !!"

Red Silence? I thought that was some sort of "local thing". Ah, but no, it's another cache:

GC1NV2Y Red Silence

Reading the logs for that cache, one finds a DNF posted, with a photo, on October 12, 2009. The next day, another cacher posts a note saying "Not every cache is in the woods. I suspect you found the final to the multi-stage GC1QBJ6 Travel Bugs/Coins Take a Break! Red Silence is easier than that and definitely closer to where the coordinates take you!"

:)

Geez, this is usually the kind of research I do for caches I intend to hunt. Maybe a long road trip should be my next step? :laughing:

Maybe I'm dense, but aren't TB Hotels supposed to be quick and easy caches where one can move travel bugs along on their journey? Why on earth would you make one a three-stage multi with 3.5 star difficulty?

I agree. They should be a quick place to stop off - especially if you are in an area you don't know well doing some caching - and pick up some TBs to move on either while you are there or, if you are away from home, to take back with you.

I can't see the point of having a TB Hotel that is time consuming to get to. An offset multi would be fine.

But then I may be a little biased as one of our TBs has been sitting in a hotel prison for months because to find the hotel prison you have to first find 3 or 4 other caches.

And even for those who have perhaps been there before, it is not a quick stop off to revisit to grab a few TBs when you are running short.

:laughing:

For a good TB Hotel (frequent visits) I don't mind the leave one, take one (trade even) approach....<snip>

After all the badgering about restrictions and explaining travel bugs are not trade items, you try to muddy the waters. :laughing:

I think the key caveat there is a good tb hotel that gets lots of visits. Cleaning out all the bugs would leave nothing for the next person. I think that one would not want to take more bugs than you can quickly distribute, nor would one want to leave very few in the can and make the find less enjoyable for the next person. A one-to-one ratio would maintain that. But it could as easily be take 2 leave 0 or anything. It would be a personal choice made at the time the finder opens the container. I don't think there is really an entirely right or wrong answer.

For a good TB Hotel (frequent visits) I don't mind the leave one, take one (trade even) approach....<snip>

After all the badgering about restrictions and explaining travel bugs are not trade items, you try to muddy the waters. :laughing:

I think the key caveat there is a good tb hotel that gets lots of visits. Cleaning out all the bugs would leave nothing for the next person.

But this thread is about a TB hotel that hasn't had a find logged in six months, and has a bunch of DNF's. I say, clean that sucker out -- if you can find it!

Assuming the cache is in good shape, the lack of finds is more of an indictment on the PNG mentallity of the majority of cachers nowdays, than a problem with putting TB's in the cache. Especially with the terrain only being a 2. I have no problem with the cache, it is actually probably a real good way for newbies to get that much coveted first TB. I think most new cachers are dying to get a TB. I know I was and every cacher I know was. Most TB hotels are just robbed quickly. Not being a PNG may deter a few of those robbers. I do however have an issue with Cache owners not maintaing their caches. Especially if they are using it in this way and actively contributing to it.

Did nobody notice the cache owner's recent note?

Ok guys, it's not that hard ! Remember it's a three part cache. The first two parts are small (micos) and the third is a nice new Ammo box chained to a tree. Here's a hint, find Red Silence and cross the street and go towards the canal. Good luck from there !! I really want to get those travel bugs moving !!

(Bolding is mine) Doesn't sound to me as though the intent is a TB Prison, at least.

Yeah, I saw it, but over 3 months isn't that recent. I think that when you make a TB holding cache, you should be more active in your maint. Also, they didn't confirm it was there. Its been over 6 months since the owner dropped a TB in there. They may have checked on it at the time of their over 3 month old recent note, but I wouldn't be sure. Like I said earlier, I like the idea of a non-png tb hotel, the CO should just maintain it more often.

Did nobody notice the cache owner's recent note?

Ok guys, it's not that hard ! Remember it's a three part cache. The first two parts are small (micos) and the third is a nice new Ammo box chained to a tree. Here's a hint, find Red Silence and cross the street and go towards the canal. Good luck from there !! I really want to get those travel bugs moving !!

(Bolding is mine) Doesn't sound to me as though the intent is a TB Prison, at least.

You're right in that it doesn't sound like he intends it to be a prison but is he pulling out the TB's that have sat there for months and placing them in new caches himself? Or is he just dumping more and more bugs into the cache?

It's cool to have a secure cache for TB's/coins but if they're not moving timely, the cache owner should be retrieving them and setting them free again.

I don't think it's the CO's responsibility to move them. Also, once you find the cache, its easy for any cacher to drop back by to grab TBs if your are going on a trip somewhere that will help certain TBs in their mission. Why should the CO move them. If they provide a perfectly good cache, in a secure spot and maintain it, that ends their responsibility.

I don't think it's the CO's responsibility to move them. Also, once you find the cache, its easy for any cacher to drop back by to grab TBs if your are going on a trip somewhere that will help certain TBs in their mission. Why should the CO move them. If they provide a perfectly good cache, in a secure spot and maintain it, that ends their responsibility.

So, it's not the owners responsibility to move them but setting up a cache that leaves the TB in limbo isn't an issue. Nice.

Looks to me like the owner went out and collected bugs to place in their Take a Break! cache.

It's not a hotel that is designed to assist bugs. it's a hole that traps travelers and that is exactly what the cache owner intended.

edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

So, it's not the owners responsibility to move them but setting up a cache that leaves the TB in limbo isn't an issue. Nice.

Looks to me like the owner went out and collected bugs to place in their Take a Break! cache.

It's not a hotel that is designed to assist bugs. it's a hole that traps travelers and that is exactly what the cache owner intended.

It's only a hole if cachers are too delicate (I chose that word over several others that I would rather use) to go and get them. It is a big bad 2 terrain. Ewww scary!!!!!

Edited by M 5

Do you make a reasonable attempt to assist a traveler towards its goal?

It's not about me, but yes I always do. I just recently "rescued" a TB from an Island cache that rarely gets visited. Now that's a prison. If you research a little better. This particular cache is just across from the Red Silence cache a little SE of the starting coords, in a small urban woods thats only about 400' X 100'. I just don't see it being a prison at all. There are/have been some real prisons, that even call themselves that. I think they are kind of funny, but I also think that when someone rescues them (I would actually like to do that someday) is just fine too. I do many remote and lonely caches, and those are the only TB's I take. I just don't think this one is a prison, but if it was, that would be fine too. Someone would just have to walk the few hundred feet and get them.

Edited by M 5

It's not about me, but yes I always do. I just recently "rescued" a TB from an Island cache that rarely gets visited. Now that's a prison. If you research a little better. This particular cache is just across from the Red Silence cache a little SE of the starting coords, in a small urban woods thats only about 400' X 100'. I just don't see it being a prison at all. There are/have been some real prisons, that even call themselves that. I think they are kind of funny, but I also think that when someone rescues them (I would actually like to do that someday) is just fine too. I do many remote and lonely caches, and those are the only TB's I take. I just don't think this one is a prison, but if it was, that would be fine too. Someone would just have to walk the few hundred feet and get them.

Thank you, and do I mean it. I have gone 'round' with cache owners who are placing caches with the sole intent of collecting bugs.

Tell me that I am wrong on this one.

Edited.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thank you, and do I mean it. I have gone 'round' with cache owners who are placing caches with the sole intent of collecting bugs.

Tell me that I am wrong on this one.

Edited.

Like the TB detention facility on Camp Beuhring in Kuwait. My poor geocoin has been sitting there for a year. Last find of the cache was in February.

If the CO deletes your log you just contact Gorundspeak and it will be reinstated.

I have a better solution (worked for me in Phoenix a couple of years ago) for log deletion for taking too many bugs. I went back, took them all and relogged saying that I had to go back since it was still in my PQ but since my PQ is set to not return caches I have found then as long as he left my log I wouldn't be back.