Missing Bugs

PDOP's

Well I for one have been trying to track down Southbound who unfortunately somehow made his way north rather than south. I have checked the logs and emailed the last cachers who mentioned in the logs taking a "bug". Not sure if the bug they were talking about was indeed the TB-SB. They were first timers and it seems perhaps they were not sure of what it was etc. Although it had all the paperwork with it. Still looking and wondering. icon_confused.gif

I have had the unfortunate experience of losing a bug. After arriving home I discovered that somewhere between the cache and the car I dropped it. As I had planned to take with me to Scotland the next day, I could not get back a search for two weeks. I e-mailed the owner and apologized. He left the bug at the site, hoping that would be found. I did post a note warning others looking for the bug shown at this site it was not there. I finally e-mailed to owner a suggested that he move the bug to the graveyard, which he did.

quote:
Originally posted by PDOP's:

This has to be getting worse as time passes. I used to have the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29352 on my watch list but the number of MIA's reported was just to depressing. icon_frown.gif

I have to agree with you, the travel bug graveyard is a little depressing. I've lost two bugs, one because a cache was plundered, the other because someone took the bug and never logged their visit on the website. I had the cache owner check the log in the cache, so I was able to get a possible identity, but they never responded back (a sure sign they took it imo). A couple of others have been in cachers hands for awhile, but I've been sending them gentle emails and they'll probably be dropped into caches soon. Cross fingers here. icon_rolleyes.gif

2 out of 12 isn't too bad, actually 10 as one is at the starting line for the Cannonball run and the other is still sitting here on my desk. icon_biggrin.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

Geez, I just lost one of mine to a NEWBIE! I was worried when I saw when they logged it, that it was their first T.B. We'll not only was it their first, it appears to be their last, as they have not been out caching, or replied to email requests for a status. Hell, I'd pay to have it sent back to me if I thought that would get it back out there. Sorry SAP!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I have a bug "When Pigs Fly #1" which bears a tag specifically stating its destination. It went MIA for several weeks, then suddenly showed up in a cache (placed by someone OTHER than the one who took it without logging it), and now the log for that cache SAYS that someone else has taken it now -- but once again, it hasn't been logged.

At this point, I'll assume that too many people just don't understand HOW to log the taking/leaving of a bug. icon_confused.gif

Violas ROCK! icon_biggrin.gif

There are 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who understand binary, and those who don't. [icon_wink.gif]

quote:
posted by WascoZooKeeper:

Violas ROCK! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes they do. My son plays the viola. Daughter plays the violin.

quote:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who understand binary, and those who don't. [icon_wink.gif]

This is great! icon_smile.gif I love it. icon_smile.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

My hobby? Tromping through the underbrush looking for Tupperware containers.

I plan on sending my first TB out as soon as tags are back in stock... My first cache find was a TB that I went out of my way to make sure I sent on it's way as soon as possible. Since then finding TBs is the best part of the game for me... It is a bit sad that the caches that I have visited that state they contain a TB only to get there and find no bug and no log of it leaving icon_mad.gif I sit back and wonder what will come of my bug as it heads out into the world.

I know it seems to be getting worse. I have good luck putting lots of contact information on Travel Bugs. Includeing a mailing address that it can be mailed too (with attached mailer), phone number, and email address. I have received two travel bugs via mail with people who never intended to go geocaching again.

I think the key here is keeping the TB's small.

Doug

I had considered one of my bugs MIA when several months ago they had been grabbed by a cacher with only two cache finds and one bug and dropped out of sight immediatly after finding my bug. Several emails imquiring on their plans with the bug went unanswered and I finally gave up and wrote it off.

Just a few days ago though, the bug reappeared in a cache placed by this person. Hopefully the coords are accurate and it'll get a first finder quickly who'll grab the bug and get it moving again.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by degomi:

... I have good luck putting lots of contact information on Travel Bugs. Includeing a mailing address that it can be mailed too (with attached mailer), phone number, and email address. I have received two travel bugs via mail with people who never intended to go geocaching again.

Doug

Smart idea. I'll try this with my next (and last) bug.

My DogGone travel bug disappeared from the cache I released him into. After sitting there for over a month, someone snatched him and did not log it, at least 2 weeks ago.

Such is life.............

I did release a geocoin with instructions that the finder could keep it. (That is what I bought them for). So, I guess that one is not "missing", just gone.

I have another t release....

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Yesterday I went in search of two bugs at two different caches; I'm collecting a few for a trip to Seattle. Well the bugs were not at any of the caches. icon_mad.gif It seems to me that Newbies take them and do not know how to log them. I have tried to e-mail a few of them to show them the ropes about TBs. icon_confused.gif There should be a test you have to take and pass before being able to get a logon for GEOcaching. This test would insure that everyone knows how to Cache and what to do with TBs. Just my 2 cents.

quote:
Originally posted by Chazman007:

Yesterday I went in search of two bugs at two different caches; I'm collecting a few for a trip to Seattle. Well the bugs were not at any of the caches. icon_mad.gif It seems to me that Newbies take them and do not know how to log them. I have tried to e-mail a few of them to show them the ropes about TBs. icon_confused.gif There should be a test you have to take and pass before being able to get a logon for GEOcaching. This test would insure that everyone knows how to Cache and what to do with TBs. Just my 2 cents.

My wife and I are "newbies" or Neocachers. We decided that for a while we would only seek and log, and would not take or leave anything at any site until we developed a more thorough feel for the protocols and etiquette involved as well as the types of items which people place into caches. We had to violate that decision at our first cache as the logbook was full and we therefore left our little pocket notebook for others to use. We had intended to use it as our own geocaching record volume but felt it was more important to leave the cache logbook functional. We were very pleased to find several travel bugs in the fourth cache we visited. However, we had not studied up on the protocol of TBs at that point so we would not have taken them even had the cache not had a "take a TB, leave a TB" theme. After studying more this weekend and reading some of the forums today, I feel we're ready to take the next steps.

In defense of "newbies", however, I must say that there is quite a bit involved with doing some of this stuff and it's not at all obvious sometimes how to proceed with certain tasks.

Also, sometimes things are subject to misreading (what isn't) and can lead one astray. I ran into that while trying to log find of a travelbug but leaving it in the cache. I had to delete my log a couple of times to get things the way I wanted to.

On a slightly different, but related topic, can users edit travel bug logs like they can edit logs pertaining to caches? The only choices I saw were to delete the log or something else (post it?) which I can't remember at the moment. There definitely was no "edit" option shown in any obvious location.

I'm not casting aspersions at anyone here, this activity has developed in so many different ways that there is just a lot to learn when you first get involved and it's hard to present it all concisely on the web site. I'm sure everything anyone wants to know is here somewhere, it's just going to take a while to get through it all.

How many sites must a team visit before they aren't newbies any more? icon_smile.gif

MiTuCats

MiTuCats,

Because you are being *smart* and learning how travel bugs work BEFORE grabbing them, you've already moved past newbie status. Good job, and if you have more questions, we'll be happy to help. It is the folks who don't bother to learn, and just botch the bug grabs and drops (or don't log them at all), that wears on the nerves of bug owners and bug movers.

And to answer your question, no, you cannot edit a bug log once you enter it. That's been brought up, and Jeremy said many months ago that bug page design updates took a back seat to other parts of the website. Understandable. Perhaps in the thorough overhaul of the site that he's working on right now, this will be addressed.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

quote:
How many sites must a team visit before they aren't newbies any more? icon_smile.gif

I have to agree with Leprecahuns. You've shown that you're not a newbie with your first cache find, seeing a need, and helping out the cache. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think most newbies would've done that the first time out. I don't think I would have done that the first time out. I was more surprised that I found the cache in the first place, thinking at the time, "is this some elaborate joke that someone is playing on me, and are they going to jump out of the bushes yelling GOTCHA! when I get close to where the cache is suppossedly hiding?"

If more people could follow your example, we'd have less bugs lost.

On another note, I finally decided to ressurect one of my lost travel bugs. I found something else that fit the theme of the bug and am ready to send it on its way in place of the original bug which got trashed along with the cache that it was in at the time.

So I guess, I really only have one bug that's totally lost now.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Here's a bit of good news to help keep your hopes alive...

I have a T-bug that was picked up on Sunday, June 02, 2002. He finally got placed back into a cache on Saturday, March 15, 2003! this was after MUCH email pestering on my part. I think the guy just got tired of hearing from me. I'm a bit of a pit-bull when I get me shorts in a knot.

So there's always hope!

Later,

B.

Check out www.warrenmurphy.com for new releases and "The Assassin's Handbook". It's back after 20 years!!

It is nice to see TBs that were seemingly missing to be recovered - sometimes the delay has a reason, believe it or not:

- One of TBs on my watch list was staying way too long in hands of the last finder: last week the owner grabbed it (the finder had a knee injury and was not able to place it, so he mailed it back to the owner).

- Just now I have heard about my own TB, picked up a month ago: the finder's GPS broke, but she got a new one and will be moving the TB soon. Life is beautiful!

icon_biggrin.gif Hurray, my travel bug Moonhead has just shown up in a cache. He was first placed just before Christmas and went missing from the cache within a few days. He was never logged, so I finally retrieved him. I did get a note this morning that he is on his way again. I have been unsuccessful in getting any response from the captors of two of my other bugs icon_mad.gif

We love looking for travel bugs and find it to be one of the best parts of geocaching. We decided to put a few of our own travel bugs out there. One of them went missing for a few days because the geocache was taken away, but was found by a fellow geocacher a few days later. Our other bug was traveling along quite well and then vanished from a cache. No log in the cache log book or web page, just gone! Quite a bummer! We had another bug ready to go, but since our other 2 bugs have not had much luck, we feel that we are going to hold off on putting anymore bugs out.

After reading all these "horror stories", I'm a little concerned about a travel bug I spotted near us yesterday named "Briana's Birthday Bracelet". It's a 7 year old girl's charm bracelet which she was given for her birthday and decided to turn it into a travel bug and have it travel for a year gaining stories, pictures and hopefully charms. She hopes to have it come back to her cache for her next birthday in December. It's a great idea. icon_smile.gif Several Michigan geocachers whose names I already recognize as leading lights have been involved in handling it so far.

Can you imagine the effect on this little girl if her TB goes missing in action? icon_frown.gif

Let's all keep an eye out for it and try to help it along. MiTuCats will be going after it shortly if it is still in the cache where it is currently located when we get the time to make the trip. We'll take it to Kansas, Iowa and Wisconsin with us, then bring it back to Michigan (with appropriate charm additions along the way) and put it in a fairly remote cache so that hopefully more experienced Geocachers will find it.

I wonder if the overall life of TBs could be affected if they're placed in readily accessible caches in high traffic areas where they might be stumbled on by neophytes and non-geocachers. Somewhere, I read a suggestion by someone that TBs should only be placed into caches where you would feel comfortable leaving one of your own TBs. We're planning to try to follow that advice.

MiTuCats

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need .... roads" --Dr. Emmett L. Brown

Originally posted by MiTuCats:

Somewhere, I read a suggestion by someone that TBs should only be placed into caches where you would feel comfortable leaving one of your own TBs. We're planning to try to follow that advice.

We agree with this and we do this too. If we feel that the TB won't be safe in a cache that we planned to place it in, we won't place it in that cache. We'd feel awful if we placed a TB in a cache where it got plundered, stolen, etc. We think it's great that you guys (MiTuCats) are taking the time to make sure the little girls braclet is ok. We've seen that TB on the TB page, and it's quite cute.

We also forgot to mention in our last post that we took everyones advice before we sent out our bugs, and attached laminated cards with their goals, what they are, please don't take them if you aren't going to place them etc, to them, but they still ended up MIA. :-(

quote:
Originally posted by The Pointy Ear Dog Gang:

We also forgot to mention in our last post that we took everyones advice before we sent out our bugs, and attached laminated cards with their goals, what they are, please don't take them if you aren't going to place them etc, to them, but they still ended up MIA. :-(

That's worrisome, as that is exactly what we did with our "Grandma Bean" TB. The best half of our team will be rather upset if something happens to our TB. However, we only attached the laminated cards to the tags, nothing else. Perhaps the lack of anything desirable attached to the tag will keep it safe.

We do hope we can be helpful with Briana's TB, but once we are done with it (assuming we can get it before someone else does), it will be back in the hands of someone else, I just hope Briana isn't disappointed if it goes astray. If it doesn't have a goal card, ownership info and explanation when we get it, I'll make one for it before we leave it somewhere. Maybe that will help. It would be theoretically possible to just keep it all year, checking it into and out of caches as we find them, but that would deprive others of the opportunity to add to its history, and ultimately deprive Briana of the ability to have been helped in her goals by many different people. Since that is partly what this is all about, we will resist that temptation and send the bracelet back into the geocaching realm when we have completed our vacation.

Gee, I just ordered 4 tags and was planning on releasing them all from 4 caches at my neighboring Westwood Hills Park. Kind of a race to see which one gets the farthest fastest. Reading this I find out that I should attach the names and travel goals of each one, and I should put my address on it? Not sure if I want my address on it, or even how to put a self-mailer on it.

Deer laugh when they hear my name!

http://www.geocities.com/ihunts

Originally posted by Huntnlady:

Not sure if I want my address on it, or even how to put a self-mailer on it.

We've seen some geocachers put their e-mail addresses on the laminated cards they attach to the TBs. That way, the finder can contact the TB owners if needed. We noticed this after we sent out our TBs, and we wish we had done this with our TB Rosie the Guide Dog Puppy in Training (the MIA TB). She had all the other info on her card except our e-mail address. If we decide to put anymore TBs out again, we plan to put our e-mail addresses on the cards.

quote:
Originally posted by The Pointy Ear Dog Gang:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

Not sure if I want my address on it, or even how to put a self-mailer on it.

We've seen ... e-mail addresses on the laminated cards they attach to the TBs. That way, the finder can contact the TB owners if needed. ....had all the other info on her card except our e-mail address. If we decide to put anymore TBs out again, we plan to put our e-mail addresses on the cards.

I had read suggestions about putting e-mail addresses on the cards, but decided against it for similar reasons that Huntnlady didn't want to put her physical address on it. I asked people to contact us through geocaching.com, since that provides a means for them to do so without putting my e-mail address out in the world for anyone who wants to pass it on to spammers. I recently had to change my e-mail account because spammers had started using MY address as THEIR return address, making it look like I was sending spam. I was getting 15-20 "can't deliver your message" reports from various postmasters around the world, all telling me that 20-30 people didn't receive my important message about curing baldness or other worthless topics. From that experience, I've learned to be a little more circumspect about my address. If I was going to put a direct contact e-mail address on it, I would get a "throwaway account" and put that on rather than my normal home e-mail address.

The only thing is, I don't know if a non-member can e-mail me through geocaching.com, so if someone who is just a member of the general public finds the TB, they may not be able to contact me. I'd rather risk that situation, however than have my e-mail address floating around the world again.

In case you haven't found these on other threads, here are a couple of very nice label formats that you can use.

http://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/asp/travelbugsheet1a.asp courtesy of Gimpy

And

http://www.eckeguides.com/geocaching_stuff/Travel_Bug_Front_and_Back.doc courtesy of Rocket Man.

Both of these came from the thread "Labelling travel bugs".

It remains to be seen whether these will prevent MIA incidents, but they sure can't hurt. It should help people who unexpectedly run across a TB to know whether or not they can be of assistance with the goals.

The second one is a word document that prints out on business card size stock. I just printed it on my normal color printer, cut it out and laminated it. I actually created two copies, one "as is" with the TB name and owner's name entered, then altered the front side of the second to reflect the TB goals and left the back the same. The back side is full of information on where to get more info on TBs, how to log them, etc.

For pictures of what I did, see http://img.Groundspeak.com/track/36122_200.jpg

and http://img.Groundspeak.com/track/36122_300.jpg

These will show how I printed the goals on the second card as well as the alteration of the standard form to include our TB name and owner's name. We decided not to put any "cute" hitchhiker on the TB, hoping that it would make it less attractive to anyone not interested in helping with the goals.

I am currently holding on to a TB. We went looking for another today, but the cache had been emptied of the two bugs that are supposed to be there. (Red Mill Cache)

We read through the cache log book, and it was clear when and who dropped them off, but nothing about who or when they were taken.

I would hope that these are just taken by mistake, and not intentionally kidnapped.

Just a suggestion, maybe Goundspeak could print something on the back of the tag stating that this should be logged seperate from logging the cache itself.

I don't know, maybe if the tag stated how to log the bugs, maybe more would survive.

my family and I got our first travel bug tags, have set our goals, and are looking forward to releasing them.

Unfortunately, our area seems to be a black hole for travel bugs. We set out to retrieve a specific bug, and its not there. We try to contact the previous visitors, but it is someone who doesn't log the site or the book.

I'm excited about releasing my bug, but worried it too will disappear.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

I apparently have lost one TB out of 4 released.

Some newbie picked up my Dirk the DeadBeat Dad TB (Who had some very interesting adventures before going MIA). According to the guy's profile he hasn't logged a cache since (I think he has only four or five caches found).

My guess is that he lost interest in the sport and never bothered to pass along the TB.

Never give up on a TB though. I had one turn up missing for six months (it was taken from a cache but never logged). Then one day it turned up 8,000 miles away in the South Pacific with no explanation from the placer as to when he picked it up or where.

My Caged Fury TB turned up missing for almost as long and recently popped back up.

I think the problem with TB's is that a lot of people simply don't understand how they work or realize that action is required on their part. They simply pick up a TB and hold on to them until they get around to dropping them in another cache. (failing to log the TB's travels).

I've also noticed (and I've been guilty of this myself) that a lot of folks hold on to a TB because they are expecting to take a big trip soon and want to take the TB with them.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by Mike&Laura:

We read through the cache log book, and it was clear when and who dropped them off, but nothing about who or when they were taken.

This seems to be a common occurence. Again I think some people just don't get how TB's work and don't pay attention or read the small print on the tags. i.e. they pick up a TB in one cache and drop them in another without actually logging the TB's movement.

I've found several bugs in caches which shouldn't have been there according to the system. I usually go back to the last bug's location and post a note that I found it somewhere else -- drop it and pick it up again and then drop it and pick it up in the cache where I found it.

At least this reflects the proper mileage and so forth for the TB.

Unfortunately, I'm sure some TB's are intentionally hijacked or stolen.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

I've also noticed (and I've been guilty of this myself) that a lot of folks hold on to a TB because they are expecting to take a big trip soon and want to take the TB with them.

We've done this as well, but we've e-mailed the owners in advance to explain what we had in mind, where we were going and what we planned to do with the TB. In both cases, the owners were pleased with the plans and gave us approval. In the first case, the plans changed a bit just this week. We're leaving today on the trip, so it's a good thing they kept in touch and let us know about their change in intent. They now have the "receiving" cache ready to go and want us to drop the TB somewhere along our route closer to their home rather than bringing it back to our area before turning it out into the wild again.

The other thing we've done with both of these TBs is to take them along on our weekend caching expeditions and made sure we took photos, logged them into and out of the caches we visited, etc. That way, the owner knows what's happening and that we do indeed still have the TB and are giving it some activity. In the case of our own TB, we would rather have this kind of activity than simply know that someone picked it up and is holding it.

When I started this poll I had one of my three bugs that had gone MIA. Afterwards I found out that another had also gone missing. At that point I was ready to swear off the whole idea of travel bugs.

I'm happy to report that the two MIAs turned up and with the help of fellow cachers are both back travelling. So scratch one of the votes for''two'' from the poll and if you've got a MIA don't give up all hope icon_razz.gif

PDOP's GPS Pages

I just began GCing last Friday with my cousins "GeoGecko Xtreme Team" and logged 9 caches over the weekend. Only problem was that 4 out of 4 TBs were AWOL! Seems that we may have a "bug exterminator" out there and that troubles me greatly. Does anyone else see this occuring in their area? I am going to GC this afternoon to grab a TB left yesterday. I hope these missing TBs were just accidental...takes the fun out of searching for them. icon_frown.gif

Da Irish, there was a thread not too long ago about someone in your area called "Pigman" that was taking them, but if I recall correctly it was mentioned that he was releasing them back out or will be or something. It appears to be a problem in your area definitely.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Thanks for the reply. My cousin who turned me on to GC is from upstate NY and hasn't had one TB missing yet...comes to NC to get me hooked on the game and we find none. Oh, well I still can say I am addicted already to GC and will be relentless in my pursuit of the "catch and release" program for TBs.

We have only released 1 TB and it has gone MIA. We have tried emailing the person that took it numerous times, but he or she will not respond, log it, or turn it loose. The sad part is that I did it for my 6 year old niece in Alaska to watch. Why do people do this? They gain nothing from it. We'll try again, but we are very disappointed geocachers.

Katscache - Connecticut

My solution is: Place Travel Bugs in "Subscription Caches" only. I think your going to have better luck getting someone who paid the $30/year for membership,to pay attention to the procedures for retrieving and placing the TB.

I currently have (2) TBs in the 'wild' right now and both are being held captive. One by a "nubee" and the other by a "seasoned" member. So, go figure....I think they both have good intentions but are taking a break from GC'ing for a bit. I myself am guilty of that right now, trying to get some things done on my house during the good weather and long days.

I will not be 'releasing' any more TBs into caches other than "Members Only"....in fact I do have a bug named "Members Only" who's goal is to travel to as many states as possible, visiting "Members Only".

I know that this might sound 'cruel' to the "non-members", but that's the way I feel about it. I'm tired of emailing people to get them to properly "log" the TB. It should not be such a big problem, maybe geocaching.com can make that part easier.....if that happens, then I will consider putting TB's back into the "public" caches.

JayBee

I have just a few bugs being held captive. One person stated they hid a cache out of state and dropped the bug in it, but there is no mention of that cache in their profile. also a newbee picked up my bug in new york and stated they would drop it in a cache in long island, that was back in march and they haven't cached since even though I emailed them and thay said they would drop it soon did I also mention they have only done 2 caches and ours is the 1st bug they grabbed. They haven't even been on the website since the beginning of june. Now what should I say in my email too them? Lets see I also have a bug Mia from a plundered cache. What is the problem with bugs. If you cant play the game right then don't play it. Sorry I'm just a little angry!!