Manhattan Magellan

mblatch

This is old news to everyone I know by this point, but I figured I would post it in case anyone was interested in hearing about the experience. Back on October 3, I set out on an ambitious (interpret as insane) journey to completely circumnavigate Manhattan on foot in a single day. On most of my caching trips into NYC, I genearally do not take a taxi or use the subway. I rather enjoy walking around the various neighborhoods and through the parks to take in the local environments. On many of these trips, I have walked well in excess of 10 miles, and one time I thought to myself, you know, why don't I just walk around the whole darned island. And so I did. :-)

I began the day at 7:15 am in Battery Park at the southern tip of the island. My route took me north along the East River, through Harlem and Washington Heights to the Harlem River Canal, west across Inwood Hill Park, and finally south along the Hudson River bike path. 13 hours 6 minutes, approximately 35 miles, and 12 caches later, I arrived back at Battery Park. It was definitely an adventure that I won't soon forget ... experiencing the various sights and sounds of the city and seeing how they changed as I made my way from the Financial District, past Chinatown, through the streets of Harlem and Washington Heights, and down the West Side. Of course, there were plenty of caches along the way to keep me entertained as well as provide mental progress points and give me goals to shoot for. I was even able to find the oldest active cache on the island. :-)

Afterwards, my good friend GerIRL was kind enough to put together a Google Earth .kml file that documents in great detail the entire trip. The file contains not only the GPS track and caches that I visited, but also all of the tweets and text messages (with replies) that were sent throughout the day and links to some of the photos that I took. Seeing as he put so much effort into creating the electronic journal for me, I thought that I would post it in the forums for all to enjoy.

Mblatch's Manhattan Magellan Map

I hope you have as much fun in virtually retracing my steps as I did in actually walking it.

Marc :laughing:

(mblatch)

Edited by mblatch

Map link has been edited courtesy of GerIRL. :laughing:

To answer the question about walking on the highway and in the water ... on the east side of the island, you have to walk underneath the elevated FDR Expressway. Needless to say, the satellite reception isn't the greatest there. This is why it looks like I am drunk, walking in wavy lines down the middle of the highway and occasionally jumping into the East River for a swim. haha

Edited by mblatch
Secondly, why hasn't addisonBR posted?

I have to work sometime! :rolleyes:

Addisonbr probably hasn't posted because there is a similar thread in the MetroGC forum. He's probably tired of seeing it. haha :laughing:

As far as being tired goes - I was plenty tired after joining you for a mere 4 miles of your quest. I can't imagine how you must have felt after 35...

Congrats Marc. I heard you were going to do this. Most impressive. Funny, a week after you did it, a hiking group that I'm a member of posted the same circumnavigation.

I'm on a kayaking mailing list and reports of a circumnavigation of Manhattan by kayak are frequently mentioned. I've seen track logs from a couple of people that have done it. For a trip such as this, without any current, 3mph is considered to be about the average speed. However, with the tidal currents, especially in the Hell's Gate narrows and Harlem River section, the timing has to be right or you'll be fighting a losing battle with the current. Hit it right though and you can really fly through parts of the trip on the 31 mile trip (according to a few trip logs I've read). Even then, one can expect to spend about 10 hours on the water. Manhattan Kayak Co. even runs an "Around Manhattan" tour, but won't allow people to do it unless they've been on one of the other tours and demonstrated that they''re up for it. I can't imagine a circumnavigation by foot.