Reaching Tools

Driddy

I am looking for suggestions on how to retrieve a hide-a-key from the underside of a bridge. The container is resting on a steel I-beam over a shallow creek and I am several feet too short to reach it. It would not be practical to carry a small ladder to the creek and building up a mound of rocks seems like a lot of work and not very friendly to the environment.

I was thinking of attaching a plastic dust pan to the end of a stick with duct tape and then pushing the container onto the pan with a stick. Replacing the cache would be done in a similar manner.

I would be quite interested in hearing alternative solutions.

Thanks!

I am looking for suggestions on how to retrieve a hide-a-key from the underside of a bridge. The container is resting on a steel I-beam over a shallow creek and I am several feet too short to reach it.

Could you possibly have a friend boost you up there?

Is it a good idea to have a cache under this bridge?

I am assuming that this cache is already there, and was not placed there by Geo Peeps.

I did not place this cache; it has been in existence for many years. I generally go caching with my 9-yr-old. I think I would kill her if she gave me a boost. I suppose I could try giving her a boost.

9YO on shoulders is probably a good method for this one, assuming that you don't have access to a trained monkey.

We've had good luck with one of those extendable magnetic pick up tools.. they reach out a good 3' or so and if the box is magnetic at all, it'll work pretty well. Otherwise your idea should work fine too.

What you need is a toddler, some duct tape and 25' of rope.

:laughing::rolleyes: is the rope so you can try again if you miss the first time?

I did not place this cache; it has been in existence for many years. I generally go caching with my 9-yr-old. I think I would kill her if she gave me a boost. I suppose I could try giving her a boost.

9YO on shoulders is probably a good method for this one, assuming that you don't have access to a trained monkey.

And if you have both, well then you're the luckiest cacher in the world.

You can make a really good 'grabber' using an old caliper style bicycle brake... the pincer can go on one end of a pole, and the cable led to a hand activator lever on the other end by the grip... easy to mount different 'claws' on the caliper to suit the need. With just a little creativity, you can make the caliper face different ways to be more effective... for example a pivotal anchor point at the claw end... Cheap as well, I have many in my parts box... and it is virtually unlimited in length (actually friction will limit that). The pole can be a mop handle, or it can be one of those fancy extendable poles... I'm working on a mounting fixture for the end of my hiking pole.

I already have a mirror for that as well, sometimes with a light. Darn pole is even useful for WALKING with...

not to mention moving brush aside gently to see in... or distracting critters.

Good luck!

Doug 7rxc

What do you attach to the end of the pole?

I don't know about niraD, but once, in a pinch, I attached a flyswatter to mine, bent at a 90 degree angle, and dragged the cache down. To return it, I stuck the cache to the flyswatter using duct tape, and the magnet pulled it off the tape at the location where I returned it.

Edited by Chrysalides
I've been known to use an extension pole designed for painters to retrieve elevated caches. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush-R056-S...DZO/ref=sr_1_10

The one I used had a dandelion tool on the end. The ideal tool depends on the cache though. If the cache is held in place magnetically, then anything steel should work for retrieving the cache, if you can get it to stick to the tool.

I've been known to use an extension pole designed for painters to retrieve elevated caches. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush-R056-S...DZO/ref=sr_1_10

I'd use something like my suggestion in post 12... adaptable on the fly if you have extra claws... and they are very strong... had one on a pole like that for retrieving/ placing bicycles on a wall display... of course a plain old mop handle works too... just like having a x foot long arm and hand.

Good luck.

Doug 7rxc

I would go to a medical supply store they have all kinds of devices that are used by mobility challenged people and those in a wheel chair.....Also a side note I thought caches were not allowed to be placed on bridges.

The other option is to get your knee replaced and get one that way. :P (My MIL has one and she's REALLY good with it, but she's in a wheelchair due to a recent knee replacement and a stroke when she was 6.)

I do recommend this course of action, though. The medical supply store, I mean, not the knee replacement unless you actually need it. In fact, I've seen reachers at Walgreen's that are really nice; thought about getting one for MIL, actually.

Lots of "good" ideas there - but you have to replace the cache too! Hope the suggested methods or tools will work to do that! If all else fails, find a very tall geocacher to get it down for you, or someone brave enough to crawl out on the bridge if the container can be reached from the top of the bridge?

I'm sure you'll be able to write an interesting log when you do get this cache!