Gmail, Outlook & AVG Free 2011

Gr8Scot

I imagine that many others involved in Geocaching use this combination of software and may have noticed the following since they upgraded to AVG Free 2011.

1. Freezing of Outlook while downloading Gmail

2. Email sent in plain text (such as topic subscription notifications from this forum) suddenly appearing in tiny font that has been changed to html

These problems have been caused by the upgrade to AVG Free 2011 and are acknowledged as such on their forum. Until a fix is provided, the following work-around from their forum seems to fix the problem:

Open AVG user interface

Double click E-Mail Scanner

Click "Tools/Advanced settings"

Click "E-Mail Scanner" in LHS window

Untick the block for "Scan inside archives" (This is causing Outlook to freeze)

Click "Certification" under "E-Mail Scanner" in LHS window

Untick "Certify incoming e-mail" (This removes the "No virus found in this message" message that's causing the tiny font)

The above seems to fix the problem but still scans new mail for viruses (even though you don't get the message at the bottom of the e-mail).

Please use the above at your own risk.

I imagine that many others involved in Geocaching use this combination of software and may have noticed the following since they upgraded to AVG Free 2011.

1. Freezing of Outlook while downloading Gmail

2. Email sent in plain text (such as topic subscription notifications from this forum) suddenly appearing in tiny font that has been changed to html......

Actually there is a bigger problem with AVG 2011 (v10) in that, on some systems it causes mail to not be sent in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 (all mail, not just gmail). This may also affect other email clients. The main reason for this is a routine that emulates the email being opened. A visible indicator of this is that emails in the outbox are niether bold nor italic.

There is a registry fix for this, but I feel its potentially a symptom of a series of issues. I'm advising clients to stay with v9, which is still fully supported by AVG, until an updated version is released.

Actually there is a bigger problem with AVG 2011 (v10) in that, on some systems it causes mail to not be sent in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 (all mail, not just gmail). This may also affect other email clients. ..........

Interesting. I have the same problem with Outlook 2003 running Norton Internet Security. To overcome it I have to disable "e-mail Antivirus Scan" otherwise ALL outgoing e-mails get blocked.

Edited by cincol

Actually there is a bigger problem with AVG 2011 (v10) in that, on some systems it causes mail to not be sent in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 (all mail, not just gmail). This may also affect other email clients. ..........

Interesting. I have the same problem with Outlook 2003 running Norton Internet Security. To overcome it I have to disable "e-mail Antivirus Scan" otherwise ALL outgoing e-mails get blocked.

I have a strong dislike for Norton's :laughing:

That said, check the account > more settings > Outgoing Server and make sure that Norton has not placed something here. On some configurations, Norton's will try to intercept outgoing mail and route it through its own SMTP "for scanning purposes", but in general this often fails and no mail is sent or, as is often the case with 3G connections, outgoing mail MUST be sent through the providers smtp server.

Any suggestions on the best/better AV programs to run? I need to get a new copy for the coming year.

I have found BitDefender's Total Internet Security to do the job for me. Should never have changed to Norton and will be going back to BitDefender soon once Norton has run out. It also allows you to run 3 machines on 1 license.

Edited by cincol