Geocaching article I wrote and intro

Catpie

Hi, cachers! This is my first post; I've been reading the forums here since I started geocaching, which was only a few weeks ago. I was addicted from the first day; by the second day, I had downloaded the iPhone app and purchased a premium membership. Something about geocaching really hit the right spot for me. Now I annoy my friends and coworkers by talking about it ALL the time. :)

The editor of our local news blog was interested in caching and asked me to write an article about it, so I thought I'd share it by way of introduction. Here it is. Hope that link works.

Anyway, it's great to virtually "meet" everyone and finally post here. I'm looking forward to many years of geocaching ahead (especially once this weather gets better!).

Edited by Catpie

I just hope the Tupperware corp lawyers don't come down on you for abusing their trademark!

Hah - thanks, GeoGeeBee...I hope so too. I should have written that as "Tupperware® Food Storage Containers" I guess. I work for a large, litigious corporation so I should know better. :)

Before I began geocaching, I had never heard of Lock & Lock, but I had heard of Tupperware many times.

It is a similar problem as Kleenex brand, which is often used to refer to other brands of facial tissues. "Please pass me a Kleenex." "Store brand facial tissue okay?" "No!"

You might just write "locking plastic container, similar to Tupperware."

It was probably a Lock & Lock® container.

Hmm...do you think I should ask them to correct that in the article? I wonder if it's ok if "tupperware" is generic enough to make sense to a lay audience.

I wouldn't worry about it; I think most people know what "tupperware" is, and I think it is descriptive enough to get the point across.

I found your article very interesting and informative, in addition to being very well-written. Great pictures, too.

Hmm...do you think I should ask them to correct that in the article? I wonder if it's ok if "tupperware" is generic enough to make sense to a lay audience.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was mostly kidding about the trademark issue, although I've heard of Xerox and Kleenex sending letters to people who didn't capitalize them in articles.

Your article is very good, you should be proud of it! Don't stress over my (admittedly strange) sense of humor.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was mostly kidding about the trademark issue, although I've heard of Xerox and Kleenex sending letters to people who didn't capitalize them in articles.

Your article is very good, you should be proud of it! Don't stress over my (admittedly strange) sense of humor.

So that leads me to wonder (and I hope you'll forgive this newbie question) are "bison tubes" a brand? Or is that just a term for that type of container? All the instances I can find seem to show them as limited to just geocaching. Were they invented for some other use?