Travel bug not released yet

Circus Maximus

I picked up a travel bug and this what the TB page looks like. As you can see the TB is on the moved but says not released yet and does not show as a TB found on my status page. Sent owner an E-mail to ask that they name the TB and release it. How can TB travel without being released?

Released: Not released yet by Nomad4

Use TB234A to reference this Travel Bug.

Recently spotted: In the hands of Circus Maximus.

IMPORTANT: If you're new to this, first read how to use a Travel Bug.

Current GOAL: There is no particular goal for this item. Feel free to place it in a geocache or pass it on to a friend and see where it goes!.

About this item:

Recent sightings: log your own

Sunday, June 02, 2002

Circus Maximus retrieved it from Fern Valley by GisGeek (& family):

Found it and will place it at next cache.

[delete this log] [upload images]

Saturday, June 01, 2002

Nomad4 placed it in Fern Valley by GisGeek (& family)

If it wasn't released, how did the owner (or anyone else) place it in a cache? Wouldn't the action of placing it in the cache release the bug?

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

quote:
Originally posted by brettd:

The act of placing a travel bug in a cache does set the bug in the field. It does not, however, activate the bug. The owner has to specify that the bug is in the cache before the cache page will display it.

wait, now we're getting the terms mixed up. Activating and releasing bugs are two seperate things (aren't they?) Maybe I'm just confused as it's been a while since I released a bug, but I thought activating it was when you enter the activation code that comes on the TB envelope. That however doesn't release the bug. I thought releasing it was when it's first placed into a cache. Someone please clear this up for me.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Just a hunch, or maybe a wild guess or something, but is it possible that whether a travel bug is "released" or not is determined by the date in the "date released" box or whatever it's called?

I'm pretty sure that Quarter Pounder was listed as having been released on some date in the future, even before we placed it in a cache (we knew which day we would be releasing it, so we put it on the page ahead of time.) Conversely, PPPP is still sitting on a shelf in my den, but was "released" 4 days ago.

warm.gif

When the bug page says "Released: Wednesday, November 14, 2001" or whatever, that is actually the date the owner activated the bug. It does NOT necessarily correspond with the first date a bug was placed in a cache, as bugs can travel person to person without being placed in a cache.

Aquaman was activated by me on November 14. I mailed it to Eraseek, and two days later (Nov 16) he "grabbed" it. It was never in a cache until he placed it on Nov 18.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

When the bug page says "Released: Wednesday, November 14, 2001" or whatever, that is actually the date the owner activated the bug.

I'm not so sure. There's a field on the bug's page that contains that date, and you set it to whatever you want. But I don't see any way to set it to "not released" other than maybe to clear that box when you create the bug for the first time. If the bug were never activated, though, it wouldn't belong to anyone. In fact, it would ask you to enter the activation code when you enter its number from the travel bug page.

warm.gif