Geocaching.com site update Nov 9th 2010

However it would be lovely to have the Send to GPS button working again tomorrow.....can you help please?

Some unintended changes slipped out with a fix we pushed out this morning, breaking the Send to GPS dialog. This has now been fixed. Our apologies!

Wow, quick answer!! Just checked and yep its now working perfectly again, thank you so much from cold and wet Wiltshire!!!! :unsure:

I skimmed these postings and saw nothing on this. Did anything in this update have any bearing on the "GPX file" button on the cache page? When clicked it no longer offers the option of opening with GSAK but takes me directly to a "save file" dialog.

It's always done that for me. What operating system are you using?

XP and Firefox

So am I the only person in the Geocaching community who was seeing the 'open with GSAK' option when the GPX file button was clicked? This seems a bit mysterious... :unsure:

I use IE, so it's probably a browser setting then. Has Firefox been updated lately?

I skimmed these postings and saw nothing on this. Did anything in this update have any bearing on the "GPX file" button on the cache page? When clicked it no longer offers the option of opening with GSAK but takes me directly to a "save file" dialog.

XP and Firefox

So am I the only person in the Geocaching community who was seeing the 'open with GSAK' option when the GPX file button was clicked? This seems a bit mysterious... :unsure:

I use IE, so it's probably a browser setting then. Has Firefox been updated lately?

The most obvious answer is that the file association for GSAK has been set to open GSAK when downloading a .gpx file.

Edited by jholly

XP and Firefox

The most obvious answer is that the file association for GSAK has been set to open GSAK when downloading a .gpx file.

Problem solved, thanks. The Firefox Application action for GPX data files had switched to "save file" instead of "Use GSAK".

Edited by Indotguy

We're rolling back the HTML filtering on the cache details until we can test it more. Please don't modify your cache descriptions because they will return to normal shortly. Thanks.

I don't understand most of the techie talk (wish I did), but I have found the the "decrypt" button doesn't seem to decrypt comments in the logs any more. Is anybody else having this problem? It decrypts hints, but not logs.

Don't know if this is an html issue or what??

Thanks.

A note about HTML comments in cache descriptions: Allowing this is a security risk.

I might have missed it but it looks like there wasn't any more feedback to that (admittedly very funny) statement..?

Regarding the questions for a test/staging server - I'm all for it. As far as I know reviewers have access to such a system; why not give users access as well? Or make a beta.geocaching.com site and I'm sure a lot of users would be more than happy to check it out and report issues instantly instead of first more or less breaking it for everyone and then hot-fixing issues later on. And maybe you could even go for rolling upgrades where the site doesn't have to be taken down completely; we aren't in 1998 anymore..

By the way, the recent upgrade introduced some interesting HTML syntax; for example the DNF images:

img src='http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_sad.gif' title='Didn't find it'

- the apostrophe of the "didn't" breaking the title tag.

Anyone having problems with announces, finds and the watchlist that isn't functioning anymore? At least a few people in the Netherlands are having the same problem. No more e-mails .. probably with a delay?

We've missed a few notifications from a public bookmark we have, no email notifications at all. It's under our logging account, "momof6furrballs". Watchlist seems to be working though... at least I think it is. Although I can't tell if there were some missed without going through each one.

Edited by DadOf6Furrballs

Anyone having problems with announces, finds and the watchlist that isn't functioning anymore? At least a few people in the Netherlands are having the same problem. No more e-mails .. probably with a delay?

We've missed a few notifications from a public bookmark we have, no email notifications at all. It's under our logging account, "momof6furrballs". Watchlist seems to be working though... at least I think it is. Although I can't tell if there were some missed without going through each one.

I had a series of caches published last night and almost immediately had an E mail notification that a note had been placed on one of them. Since then there have been finds on each one but I have not yet had an E mail notification for any of them.

I stand myself corrected. NOTHING came through on my watchlist from yesterday. :unsure:

Am still having issues doing a search by zip code here in Wisconsin. I receive the caches from a completely different zip code. When I search the 54153 zip, I get the 54101 zip caches. Other WI cachers have noticed similar results...others have not. What gives???

I had a weird glitch this afternnoon. I found and logged a cache yesterday. Today, I put that same cache on my watchlist. I came home from an event this afternoon, and in my inbox was a watchlist email that I found that cache.

side effect from the notifications being messed up since yesterday.

I had a weird glitch this afternnoon. I found and logged a cache yesterday. Today, I put that same cache on my watchlist. I came home from an event this afternoon, and in my inbox was a watchlist email that I found that cache.

side effect from the notifications being messed up since yesterday.

That's what I suspected.

Hi,

since the update, the maps site is broken in regards, that after some time, suddenly all found caches are shown as unfound.

It's quite easy to reproduce:

- Go to the maps site with your home coordinates as start point

- Hide all found and your own caches by selecting the check boxes

- zoom out 2-3 levels, move around

- click on the "hand" in the left top circle ("back to last result")

Now all caches are shown as unfound. There are quite some more ways to get this effect, but this is the most reliable way to reproduce.

Hi,

since the update, the maps site is broken in regards, that after some time, suddenly all found caches are shown as unfound.

Now all caches are shown as unfound. There are quite some more ways to get this effect, but this is the most reliable way to reproduce.

Are you using firefox and AVG Antivirus-Software? I had the same (an other problems), but when i disable the "AVG Safe Search" Plugin all problems are gone.

Hi,

i followed your instructions and i can't replicate the problem you're having

Hi,

I saw this as well.. The foound-but-marked-as-unfound-caches were even slightly offset on the map compared to their real location. I closed the window and re-opened it and haven't seen it since though..

"GPX file on published cache pages works for me. It is not working on my unpublished cache listings though, I think this problem already existed before this update. This feature is useful for betatesting, or if you want to see how your listing looks on a paperless caching device.

"send to GPS" works on unpublished cache pages. :mad:

Also, small issue, but we used to be able to get the little signal emoticons in comments by typing :mad: and the little face would show up. Now all of my thousands of logs with this in it just have the words :angry: and not the picture. If I add [:P] then the picture shows up, but it has brackets around it. All of the previous thousands of logs look stupid now.

Yes, all the logs containing only colon signal smilies don't show the associated images on cache and log pages.

On http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx signal smilies are shown properly.

If squared brackets are used anywhere in a log, the signal smilies with colon are also shown properly on log and cache pages.

Hi,

I have the problem mentioned above. I especially see it when I have been on the site for a long time. I am at work and what I will do is go to an area where I may want to cache. and I will start looke at all the caches around. then i might move to another area and all of a sudden it showing me all caches as not found.

This is even though I am logged on at the top of the page.

alb

Hi,

I have the problem mentioned above. I especially see it when I have been on the site for a long time. I am at work and what I will do is go to an area where I may want to cache. I will start look at all the caches around then i might move to another area and all of a sudden it showing me all caches as not found even though I know there are some that I have found in the area.

This is even though I am logged on at the top of the page.

I am using FireFox 3.6.12

alb

Edited by ToonAl

This has happened to me, too. I think somehow the map "forgets" that I'm logged in.

I tend to uncheck the "Automatically refresh map" checkbox and manually click "Refresh Map Now" when I'm done moving. When this bug happens, the icons "dither" around on the map each time I click "refresh", presumably because the software thinks I'm an unregistered user. Usually holding down SHIFT and clicking page refresh fixes things.

I also still have the Groundspeak HQ souvenir I got from the bug with the Android app. If one of the people who "don't care" about souvenirs (but can't stop posting about how little they care) sees it, I'm afraid I'll get lynched. ;)

And there are many logs around here that are still broken - people who use custom fonts in their logs have lost the [ /font] tag. Here's an example.

I was having some similar issues (the hints wouldn't decrypt... I don't know about the logs), and the Google maps weren't working. I cleared my Firefox cache, and things returned to normal. You might give that a try...

I don't understand most of the techie talk (wish I did), but I have found the the "decrypt" button doesn't seem to decrypt comments in the logs any more. Is anybody else having this problem? It decrypts hints, but not logs.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Not sure if it was intentional or not, but you now need to open the log in it's own window, (View log), where you will see a Decrypt button.

Edited by Don_J

I am getting a similar problem which has been mentioned twice above, with an extra bit!

The part that's been mentioned is that on the maps I no longer see the special icons for my own caches and those which I have found. The additional part is that the checkboxes which allow me to hide my caches and finds no longer do anything.

Firefox 3.6.8 running under MacOS 10.6.4

+2 on the map issue. This time I got a screenshot.

I've had the map-window open for a long time. Just changed it to sat-view and moved the view around a few times when I noticed that my finds and my own caches no longer were marked as such.

F5 solved it (for now).

See attached screenshots:

I'm logged in, but caches are shown displaced and marked as 'not found'

01_no_caches_marked_t.jpg

F5 resolves it..

02_F5_does_it_t.jpg

I am on windows 7, 64 bit using Google Chrome.

I have an idea though. One 'sub'-session regarding the map is timing out, even though we're still logged in, making the module that refreshes the map think we're not logged in after long time of inactivity?

This seems true for what I've seen.. it has only happened when I haven't done anything on gc.com at all for a while and happened to have the map-window open.

EDIT: click on the images for a slightly larger view..

Edited by renelm

I have an idea though. One 'sub'-session regarding the map is timing out, even though we're still logged in, making the module that refreshes the map think we're not logged in after long time of inactivity?

This seems true for what I've seen.. it has only happened when I haven't done anything on gc.com at all for a while and happened to have the map-window open.

Today I had the problem, too. I clicked a cache (a mysterie). It was an easy mysterie, I solved in 5 Minutes. After going back to the map, the above mentioned problem occurs.

.. aaand I just reproduced it. Next time I'll time how long it takes for the map to 'forget' that I am logged in.

I found another issue. I write logs in slovenian and english. And there is a problem with special slovenian letter Č. The other two (Ž and Š) works fine, however Č gets convertet to C. When you post a log all letters are fine, but when you refresh it or open it for 2nd time letters are converted.

This is not cool since črka means letter and crka means die :angry:

Today I had the problem, too. I clicked a cache (a mysterie). It was an easy mysterie, I solved in 5 Minutes. After going back to the map, the above mentioned problem occurs.

I am getting the same problen. :angry:

XP & FF 3.0.10

I don't know if this is related to this update. If it isn't, please refer me to the correct to place this.

I just noticed tonight, that when clicking through several pictures uploaded to one log, when using the back and forth-arrows, the 2nd picture have their proportions broken.

I asked on the danish forum if anyone else had seem this or if it was just me, and others have seen it too..

As a 'bonus', when hovering over a link to an image for a log, the title/alt-text shows a _lot_ of rubbish.

See the attached images:

'Garbage' in the title/alt-tag

01_garbage_in_title_text.jpg

First picture is ok. I hover over the 'forward'-button the image:

02_first_picture_is_ok.jpg

2nd picture is shown with distorted proportions:

03_2nd_picture_is_distorted.jpg

2nd picture again, as it looks when clicking on it directly:

04_what_2nd_picture_looks_like_on_direct_click.jpg

The cache in this example is: http://coord.info/GC2E8ZE

EDIT: Forgot to add, that I am (still) using Google Chrome on Windows 7. I can't say for the other users.

I just tested in IE though, and there it seems to work just fine - still garbage in the title/alt-tag though..

Edited by renelm
EDIT: Forgot to add, that I am (still) using Google Chrome on Windows 7. I can't say for the other users.

I just tested in IE though, and there it seems to work just fine - still garbage in the title/alt-tag though..

I'm one of the other users renelm are referring to. I use Safari on OS/X.

Hi,

Ok, by further testing it looks like a "Timeout" problem.

Most reliable way for me to reproduce:

Go to the map, wait 2 hours, press the "Refresh the map now" Button on the right.

Some problems with cookies and their liftetime?

Thorsten

Hi,

I'm having this problem also with both Firefox and Chrome. It's happened many times. Really all you have to do is wait for an as yet undetermined period of time (although it's probably less than 30 minutes) and when you move the map again it will refresh will all caches appearing as if none have been found.