Geocaching.com site update Nov 9th 2010

Hotfix is out with a few new updates:

-HTML Editor has been rolled back

-PQ instruction video is minimized and moved

-Print friendly page no longer mangles cache description

We have tracked the "unpublished" bug in emails to logs made through Groundspeak's API (basically logs sent through iPhone etc). We have to update these separately so it'll take a short time, but we'll get it done. Thanks everyone!

Since this is my first bug report, I apologize if I went through the wrong channel but it isn't obvious.

I just received email notification of a find on one of my caches. There is an error in the subject line formatting.

QUOTE>

51mantaz found Whizard Rides the Rails (Not Published) (Traditional Cache) at 11/10/2010

51mantaz found My New Hide - The best one ever! (Not Published) (Traditional Cache) at 11/10/2010

End Quote<

Obviously, you can see where the error is.

The second cache is in my watch list but not owned by me.

Notices of publication that came in at the same time appear OK.

Also, another notification from my watch list appears normal. It came in 15 minutes earlier.

Unkle F found A River Runs Through It (Traditional Cache) at 11/10/2010

Since this is my first bug report, I apologize if I went through the wrong channel but it isn't obvious.

I just received email notification of a find on one of my caches. There is an error in the subject line formatting.

<snip>

My comment above this one addresses this. We're working on a fix. Thanks!

<snip>

My comment above this one addresses this. We're working on a fix. Thanks!

That fix has been rolled out. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

I'm not sure how a different color or font makes a log any more unreadable than bold, underline, italicized, or strikeout......or any combination of the aforementioned fonts.

Try yellow text on a white background. Compare that to bold black text. You really don't see a difference in readability?

It seems that you are only encouraging plain old "tftc" (note the lack of capitalization) logs like texters seem to prefer these days instead of wordy logs. How about a little thought in that area?
What does font selection have to do with what words you type?

I'm getting a 500 error when I try to upload an image to a logged cache. I've encountered the error in Firefox 3.6.12 and in Safari Version 5.0.2 (6533.18.5). The process works until I click the Upload button. At that point, the browser goes to http://www.geocaching.com/error/500.htm.

Thanks.

Yup! That's what I got also! I've tried so many times to upload pics with no luck. Even after I downsized them. Yes, VERY frustrating!

Edited by Six-legged Duo

I'm not sure how a different color or font makes a log any more unreadable than bold, underline, italicized, or strikeout......or any combination of the aforementioned fonts.

Try yellow text on a white background. Compare that to bold black text. You really don't see a difference in readability?

The fact that you can make good choices or bad choices, doesn't mean you shouldn't have a choice at all.

Sure there is a difference when you use yellow. There are lots of other colors to use that can make it more interesting. Even TFTC is more interesting in color. Concerning fonts ... Arial certainly is know as the fun font.

Edited by two bison

There is an other layout problem. This is on the privat profile page.

The right side is on top of the middel part (see screenshot)

I think, I found the problem. I have found a cache with a very long name without spaces. Because of that, there can be no linefeed?!

It is the "Sonntagsmorgensfrühnebelbeobachtungscache" ...

screenshot2.png

are there any plans for removing the HTML from logs downloaded through GPX, even if/when the HTML editor makes a comeback? i can see a lot of potential havoc caused by this.

+1

It looks kinda funny in GSAK..

I think that's probably for GSAK to fix. GSAK currently - and quite rightly - converts BB code in the offline log on-the-fly to HTML (and BB smileys are converted to local images). My guess is that when the HTML editor becomes permanent then GSAK will be enhanced to support the resulting HTML in the logs (and will hopefully continue to convert smileys to local images).

I wouldn't want to see the HTML removed at source because that would mean that GPX files wouldn't be a complete representation of the logs. A smiley can make all the difference in how one interprets the log :laughing:.

I think that's probably for GSAK to fix. GSAK currently - and quite rightly - converts BB code in the offline log on-the-fly to HTML (and BB smileys are converted to local images). My guess is that when the HTML editor becomes permanent then GSAK will be enhanced to support the resulting HTML in the logs (and will hopefully continue to convert smileys to local images).

GSAK is not the only application that uses GPX files. the biggest issue will be all the paperless GPSrs. luckily the oregons seem to parse/process/strip HTML from the logs, so at least they're readable, even though there's a few leftover characters (from HTML entities) and a lot of blank lines (as all of <br>s, <p>s and regular linefeeds are turned into line breaks). i'm sure a lot of other GPSrs won't be so lucky though.

GSAK is not the only application that uses GPX files.

Indeed - I wasn't suggesting that it is. There are so many consumers of Groundspeak GPX files that the days are long gone when Groundspeak could make a change and not expect to cause significant problems for downstream applications. I suspect that one of these patrnerships may be the reason for the rapid removal of the HTML editor. Hopefully discussions with those responsible for the applications will ensure that a delayed reintroduction goes smoothly.

Just some bugs I have noticed. Sorry if they have been said before, but I am just not going to take the time to read every post before I tell them.

When writing a log for a find and such at website with adding a hyper-link or URL, and if you edit the log it creates really really weird spacing and adds line breaks that you don't ask for/write in. As well when viewing photos from the log and the nice photo pop-up happens, the text is not aligned properly and appears half in and half out of the white space around the photo.

sorry if these were said before.

I don't know if this is intentional or desirable but the new log editor is permitting blank logs - the previous version didn't. E.g. http://coord.info/GC1WP9F

I've been seeing a few of those for a while on my caches. They were showing up before the update so I doubt it's related. I've also seen them for caches that are on my watchlist.

It's very sad as a cache owner when you receive a log like that. Really? I went to a lot of work and you have nothing to say? But, I figure it's like the ALRs. I can't force you to say anything at all.

Edited by Jenischmeni

I don't know if this is intentional or desirable but the new log editor is permitting blank logs - the previous version didn't. E.g. http://coord.info/GC1WP9F

I've been seeing a few of those for a while on my caches. They were showing up before the update so I doubt it's related. I've also seen them for caches that are on my watchlist.

It's very sad as a cache owner when you receive a log like that. Really? I went to a lot of work and you have nothing to say? But, I figure it's like the ALRs. I can't force you to say anything at all.

Fortunately, I've not seen one of those, but if I did, I think I would be inclined to delete it thinking that the submit button was clicked by mistake. If its a genuine log, they will certainly say something next time :laughing:

Fortunately, I've not seen one of those, but if I did, I think I would be inclined to delete it thinking that the submit button was clicked by mistake. If its a genuine log, they will certainly say something next time :laughing:

Domo!!!

Unfortunately, I have got many "No Text" logs starting after this update.

Interestingly, they all come for the same cacher.

Weird...

Here's one of many.

http://coord.info/GL4PZ09A

Seems like they are all sent from a 'mobile device'.

Edited by Dr.MORO

We upgraded to .NET Framework version 4.0 in the last release and Seamonkey is no longer supported, even though it was in version 3.5 (I am not sure about Konquerer).

That is not to say we can't do anything about it. We'll take a look and try to get it sorted for you.

Please look into it. :laughing: I'm using a browser that's not even two months old, based on the same engine as FireFox, and suddenly it is not supported! I like to see who's found caches since me. Can't do that. Can't see who's moved trackables recently. I can't see my gallery (no link on the "other" profile page either).

I tried this with the newest Firfox on Linux today and no it doesn't work (neither with Firefox nor Konqueror nor Epiphany). It would be nice if Linux Users where able to use your website in a normal manner too. Or should we all move to opencaching? We really don't like to get locked out, because we choose to not use windows

We upgraded to .NET Framework version 4.0 in the last release and Seamonkey is no longer supported, even though it was in version 3.5 (I am not sure about Konquerer).

That is not to say we can't do anything about it. We'll take a look and try to get it sorted for you.

Please look into it. :laughing: I'm using a browser that's not even two months old, based on the same engine as FireFox, and suddenly it is not supported! I like to see who's found caches since me. Can't do that. Can't see who's moved trackables recently. I can't see my gallery (no link on the "other" profile page either).

I tried this with the newest Firfox on Linux today and no it doesn't work (neither with Firefox nor Konqueror nor Epiphany). It would be nice if Linux Users where able to use your website in a normal manner too. Or should we all move to opencaching? We really don't like to get locked out, because we choose to not use windows

not sure where you guys are getting that from. using iceweasel (which is really firefox) 3.5.15 on debian here and it's working just fine.

not sure where you guys are getting that from. using iceweasel (which is really firefox) 3.5.15 on debian here and it's working just fine.

Trust me, it's still not working.

OpinioNate said it was due to them moving to .NET 4.0. .NET 4.0 looks for certain browsers. SeaMonkey and Konquerer are not among the built-in choices. It looks for Firefox, not Gecko. The Firefox developers insist that Gecko is Gecko.

I downloaded Firefox, unpacked it and run it. It didn't work. In the meantime I got it working by setting the browser identification to Firefox instead of Iceweasel (I'm working on Debian too). Otherwise the javascript function '__doPostBack()' was missing in the page. Maybe the same solution would work for seamonkey too.

IMHO these things should be configured on the server side and not on the client.

I downloaded Firefox, unpacked it and run it. It didn't work. In the meantime I got it working by setting the browser identification to Firefox instead of Iceweasel (I'm working on Debian too).

interesting, my browser identifies itself as "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.15) Gecko/20101028 Iceweasel/3.5.15 (like Firefox/3.5.15)", and i never changed anything. not consciously anyway, maybe some addon changed the ID at some point. but that explains why those tabs never worked on the LG smartphone we have, while the rest of the site works fine. i agree, checking for user-agent IDs is a bad thing.

Hi!

-HTML Editor has been rolled back

-PQ instruction video is minimized and moved

-Print friendly page no longer mangles cache description

We have tracked the "unpublished" bug in emails to logs made through Groundspeak's API (basically logs sent through iPhone etc). We have to update these separately so it'll take a short time, but we'll get it done. Thanks everyone!

Nice news but no help for me ;-)

Right now I can't use the maps view for pocket queries. It starts showing the map and then I only get "Requesting geocaches..." in a neverending loop regardless what OS or browser I am using.

I tested XP SP3 with IE6 and the newest Firefox and on my other system I used Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with IE8. None of them is working.

Thanks for having a look onto it.

Bye,

Christian

The magellan communicator no longer works :laughing: Tried it on two different PC's. Is this a problem with the site update? because everything was fine before the maintenance. It just says "Checking Magellan Communicator" and never does anything, the download and check device butttons are grayed out. Please help!

Myself, and my buddy who both have magellan explorist GC on seperate computers in seperate houses both used the "send to GPS" before the update and it worked, but after the site update the "send to gps" button does not work.

Right now I can't use the maps view for pocket queries. It starts showing the map and then I only get "Requesting geocaches..." in a neverending loop regardless what OS or browser I am using.

I tested XP SP3 with IE6 and the newest Firefox and on my other system I used Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with IE8. None of them is working.

Bye,

Christian

I am having the same error, using Firefox 3.6.12 and Chrome 7.0.517.44

Here is the error that my browsers are getting.

POST http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx/MapAction
500 Internal Server Error

Response:
  {"Message":"There was an error processing the request.","StackTrace":"","ExceptionType":""}

The PQ Map does work for some of my PQs: Bookmarks, Date Only, Queries center at home coords, restricting type (Virtual and Webcam/Wherigo), My Finds style query (Caches I Own in MI, OH, IN)

Also any PQs limited to 500 caches are working.

Edited by allenite

Hi again!

Hi!

Nice news but no help for me ;-)

Bye,

Christian

I did some more tests now and it seems to be an issue with the number of results I'm asking for. I do have some queries with 1000 caches to be shown and these all seem to not work. But the ones giving me way lower numbers are working. So I played a little bit with different numbers and at least for me ~750 is working while even higher numbers result in the above described issue!

Bye,

Christian

In the meantime I got it working by setting the browser identification to Firefox instead of Iceweasel (I'm working on Debian too). Otherwise the javascript function '__doPostBack()' was missing in the page. Maybe the same solution would work for seamonkey too.

Thanks for the information. I tried installing the User Agent Switcher extension, but that doesn't work for me, because my profile is on a network. I'll try to find some other way to spoof the User-Agent. I don't want to install a browser just for geocaching.com.

Edited by msrubble

I skimmed these postings and saw nothing on this. Did anything in this update have any bearing on the "GPX file" button on the cache page? When clicked it no longer offers the option of opening with GSAK but takes me directly to a "save file" dialog.

Edited by Indotguy

I skimmed these postings and saw nothing on this. Did anything in this update have any bearing on the "GPX file" button on the cache page? When clicked it no longer offers the option of opening with GSAK but takes me directly to a "save file" dialog.

It's always done that for me. What operating system are you using?

java script:__doPostBack calls have stopped working in SeaMonkey (version 2.0.4 running under Windows XP SP3.) For example, on a user's profile page, clicking a tab does nothing. And I can only see the first page of any cache search result because clicking "Next->" has no effect.

This was working fine last weekend.

More importantly, what browser?

java script:__doPostBack calls have stopped working in SeaMonkey (version 2.0.4 running under Windows XP SP3.) For example, on a user's profile page, clicking a tab does nothing. And I can only see the first page of any cache search result because clicking "Next->" has no effect.

This was working fine last weekend.

It pays to read the whole thread. This has already been explained on this page.

I don't know if this is something that has happened with this udate (I use the route-function very seldom), but.. there's a weird behaviour of the route used for the query on the map preview page now.

See this image:

20101112_google_map_fail.jpg

In the image to the right is the route used for the PQ.

In the big picture is the resulting PQ - showing caches found along the route just fine, but.. the route itself suddenly cuts off and heads south along the way.

Now, since the PQ does seem to find caches along the actualy route, this is not a *critical* error.. just very odd.

I'm using Google Chrome, if it's any help

We're rolling back the HTML filtering on the cache details until we can test it more. Please don't modify your cache descriptions because they will return to normal shortly. Thanks.

Is there any hope that this html/bbcode issue will be fixed on trackable pages?? Mine are still showing up with tons of line breaks that I can't get rid of in editing. I can make them look right in editing mode, but when they are saved, all the <br> codes are inserted again.

Also, small issue, but we used to be able to get the little signal emoticons in comments by typing B) and the little face would show up. Now all of my thousands of logs with this in it just have the words :) and not the picture. If I add [:)] then the picture shows up, but it has brackets around it. All of the previous thousands of logs look stupid now.

I don't know if this is something that has happened with this udate (I use the route-function very seldom), but.. there's a weird behaviour of the route used for the query on the map preview page now.

I saw this strange behavior already at the end of October.

Me too, middle of October. Using the latest Firefox.

XP and Firefox

This morning I sent an email throught the website to another cacher which said:

I have added your 700th milestone to the cache write-up of AL's Story.

The copy of the email that I received stated:

I have added your &00th milestone to the cache write-up of AL's Story.

Notice the 7 has been replaced with an ampersand.

This morning I sent an email throught the website to another cacher which said:

I have added your 700th milestone to the cache write-up of AL's Story.

The copy of the email that I received stated:

I have added your &00th milestone to the cache write-up of AL's Story.

Notice the 7 has been replaced with an ampersand.

i just tested that and can't confirm. you didn't maybe just accidentally had shift pressed while typing that 7 by any chance, did you?

Hi, I am a relatively new geocacher (loving it :( ) and since the update am now having problems with "send to GPS" button. I use a Dakota 10, has been fine previously, but now I get the "500 error" message when I do "send to GPS". Just been having a panic as needed to download caches for tomorrow, but after some head scratching (YES I am new to this lol) realised that I could click on GPX file, save it to desktop then copy it over to the Dakota.

However it would be lovely to have the Send to GPS button working again tomorrow.....can you help please? :D

( I am in the UK - on GMT if that is necessary to know) oh, and I did read through all the pages on this thread, though did not understand quite a lot of it....sorry if the answer is already here :unsure:

Many many thanks

SqueakyBeans

XP and Firefox

So am I the only person in the Geocaching community who was seeing the 'open with GSAK' option when the GPX file button was clicked? This seems a bit mysterious... :unsure: