Make this Trackable collectible?

Geobuzzbee

I need to redo my field testing but this is it as I understand.

If you plan on releasing it into the wild set them as Not a Collectible.

If you plan on keeping them for yourself mark it as collectible. You can share them with others like at an event but it will set a limitation that other people can only Discover it or post a Note. No Grabbing away.

If you want to log your coin/bug through caches/events you'll need to keep them in your Drop inventory.

If you want them out of your Drop inventory, click the below link to move them into your Profile collection.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/inventory.aspx

People can still Discover them but if you want to log them through caches you'll have to move them back out.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/collection.aspx

Edit for clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I was confused by this too. "Make collectible" means it can be moved into a collection (not just yours). It adds the option "Move to collection" to the Action menu. TBs in collections cannot be grabbed, just discovered & noted.

Owner keeping a TB (achievement coin, car TB sticker) - if you don't want people to be able to grab the bug, put it in your own collection. At events people can discover it, but can't grab it. The down side is that you cannot dip it into caches to track mileage.

Releasing a TB and marking it collectible - the only reason I can think of to do this is for some achievement. Mainly a FTF coin. Whoever finds the bug can put it in their own collection as a reward.

So, if you don't want someone to permanently own a TB that you release, do not mark it as collectible.

So, if you don't want someone to permanently own a TB that you release, do not mark it as collectible.

If marking it "Collectible" means it's "permanently owned" by someone else, simply mark it Not Collectible and now it's yours again. B)

By default, TB Owners "don't want someone to permanently own a TB that they release". That's why the TB has "Don't Keep Me" imprinted. It is not an issue with the "Collectible" setting. People keeping the TBs use any and every excuse they have invented to "permanently keep" Trackables (usually by not logging anything, certainly not making the paper trail to their Collection). It has nothing to do with any optional selections for tidying a TB list. But the whole "Collectible" thing did add a massive new layer of confusion. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

when i edit my trackable do i check this box? and what dos it mean? any1 know

The "Collectible" option is a special feature for people who need it, mainly those with large collections of activated Geocoins who need a way to manage the lists. Even so, it should be marked "Collectible" only for the short time while the Trackable is being transferred to a "collection", a virtual place to organize a list of coins (usually coins that are stored at home in a binder and shown at Events). Once in the collection, and at all other times, it should be marked "Not Collectible". This is because while marked Collectible, the TB can be moved to any cacher's "Collection" (which simply removes it from Inventories to keep lists organized), and people love to checkmark all those option boxes to see what happens (present company excluded of course! :anicute:). At best, you'd have some extra work getting it back into a cache afterward -- assuming a cacher honestly believed you were offering it into anyone's collection with no acknowledgement that they do so, and that they properly logged the action.

If you don't know what the Collectible checkbox is for, you can leave it unchecked. If you've already selected "Make this Trackable collectible", select "Not Collectible" instead.

The term "Collectible" and the way it was implemented was terrible for TBs. It introduced another invented excuse for people with sticky fingers and a low moral compass to steal TBs.

Edited by kunarion
If you plan on releasing it into the wild set them as Not a Collectible.

That's the option that most TBs need. If you will place it in a cache to travel, and you feel the need to checkmark some checkboxes, mark it Not Collectible and don't touch that setting again. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

New to all this and it is so much fun, had a quick question kind of related to this topic.

What settings should I be using for my trackable if this is what I would like to do with it.

I would like to have a trackable attached to my geocaching buddy Wilbury who is a sock monkey and travels around with me, I would like to be able to log that he visited caches and also allow others to log that they have met him/discovered the trackable, but I do not want to allow anyone else to grab possession of the trackable as it will always remain with me not get dropped off in any cache or anything like that.

Thanks

Edited by WilburyTravels

New to all this and it is so much fun, had a quick question kind of related to this topic.

What settings should I be using for my trackable if this is what I would like to do with it.

I would like to have a trackable attached to my geocaching buddy Wilbury who is a sock monkey and travels around with me, I would like to be able to log that he visited caches and also allow others to log that they have met him/discovered the trackable, but I do not want to allow anyone else to grab possession of the trackable as it will always remain with me not get dropped off in any cache or anything like that.

Thanks

For the most flexibility to do what you wish, don't change the default settings. Select "Not Collectible" if you already have changed it to "Collectible". The "Collectible" feature is for the convenience of the owner who needs it. In your case, it can stay at the defaults. If someone makes odd logs, contact Groundspeak or ask in the Forum, if it's a situation you can't handle.

Thanks

For the most flexibility to do what you wish, don't change the default settings. Select "Not Collectible" if you already have changed it to "Collectible". The "Collectible" feature is for the convenience of the owner who needs it. In your case, it can stay at the defaults. If someone makes odd logs, contact Groundspeak or ask in the Forum, if it's a situation you can't handle.

Thanks for the info, I shall do that :)

Hi Everyone. I'm also a newbie, but have been gripped by the Geocaching bug! I have made my dog a trackable. Obviously I don't want to squeeze him into any caches (it would be a tough ask) but similarly don't want him to become someone else's collectible. I have checked "Not Collectible in the setup - is this right?

TIA for your help.

S&S

I don't believe so. If you're keeping it (and you are... :) ), and just take it to events, or spotted on the trail, then I think it is collectible.

But, most folks I know have "not collectible" on pretty-much everything.

This is one of the most confusing things the site's dreamed up.

Edited by cerberus1