First to Find Reward Ideas?

Was just hoping to get some ideas on creative first to find rewards...

Obviously, there is the Signal F2F Coin, as well as other geocoins.

I've also seen lotto scratch offs.

And I thought about doing a "Make your own" kit with a Bison tube, hook, RiR logsheet or even a Soda Preform Tube - Official Geocache sticker, and RiR logsheet.

Thought maybe even a 2 dollar Bill or small gift card to the local sporting good store.

Point is, that sometimes coins and such can get expensive when you are considering putting out several caches, so maybe you guys have some creative ideas!

Lets hear them!

Speaking only for myself... I think "FTF prizes" are a bit tacky. For one thing, all most people want when they first find the cache is an empty log. Second, it feels (to me) like a bit of a bribe to get people to look for your cache. I honestly can't think of a single local cacher with more than a couple of hides out there that puts anything in for the FTF. It seems to be more of a newbie hider thing.

Again, that is ONLY my opinion, and there will be plenty of dissenting ones, I'm sure.

That said, if you really feel you want to, I think your "Make your own" kit is a good idea.

I have only hidden one and what I did was put lots of things in it that went along with the name of the cache. So when it was originally hidden it had lots of new items that people might want to collect. Some of those items were traded out as it should be and some were just taken without even signing the log book. I mostly did it just to get people to see a great spot anyway so it didn't tick me off as much as it could have.

I think the best thing to do is simply put the best things in the original cache as you can afford and those that get there first will get the best choices.

This could just be me, but I've never seen a very well established cacher leave FTF prizes in their caches, and it seems to be a newbie cache placer thing. That probably ends when they come to the realization that it's the same 4 or 5 people trying to be FTF on all the local caches. :)

The "naming rights" idea is pretty cool, I might even try that myself sometime! Other than that, I've seen lots of people giving away unactivated TB's or Geocoins. And graphically talented people making FTF certificates. Small denomination gift cards to fast food places I've seen quite a bit too.

I am working on a cache where the FTF prize is two tickets to my upcomming wedding. Yes, my (soon to) be wife is ok with this.

First, congratulations.

Second, you have tickets for your wedding? It's a wedding, not a basketball game. I'm tempted to visit your area and go for the FTF just so I can show up with face-paint and an air horn.

Personally I love the inactive geocoin idea. I have come in contact with some online logs which stated they had done this. Would be a really nice FTF.

I have seen another cache in which the CO left enough money for 1 gallon of gas, at the time the cache was placed.

I placed a cache back in September that included a roman type coin, made of metal. It was a necklace piece which I found at a craft store. I thought it fit the cache I was planning on making. I was going for a "lost scrolls of Alexander" theme. The actual log book is a scroll I crafted from wood, and rolls up. Its been a tough find so far.

In another cache I created, with a steampunk feel to it, I had crafted several items, and left the first to find up to the cacher. For the record, the FTF taken was an arrowhead I had crafted from a penny. I had fastened it to a shaft, and then wrapped the base to stablize and tighten it. It was only about 3 inches long, but turned out nice.

In my opinion, I don't feel that leaving a first to find is a bad thing, considering the founder, when he started this whole thing, left a "cache" of items. My family and I have been caching for a while now, and just recently decided to split off into seperate caching names. (anyone else did this?) Its been really fun to go back and re-cache some of the previous caches.

Some other ideas for FTF:

Small wooden figurine (I have been doing some wood carving and such as of late, severe hobby issues...)

Stone figurine or coin (if you have the means to aquire or craft one)

Seasonal item depending on when the cache is placed.

An item a cacher might use while caching (several options here)

place a dog tag on the cache stating who the original FTF was.

Just a few ideas. Leaving things isn't lame. The game started on that basis, and it keeps it interesting. I appreciate a good cache with items. That is however, just my opinion. :) Hope this helps.

I am working on a cache where the FTF prize is two tickets to my upcomming wedding. Yes, my (soon to) be wife is ok with this.

First, congratulations.

Second, you have tickets for your wedding? It's a wedding, not a basketball game. I'm tempted to visit your area and go for the FTF just so I can show up with face-paint and an air horn.

I guess ticket was a poor choice of words, more like an invitation.

People with kids like to find stuff. My daughter rarely wants to take anything but she spends a lot of time inspecting the items. We might stay at a cache a long time if it has interesting items. I appreciate the effort of the CO.

On the other had the only thing I'm interested in when I'm alone is a small log I can write a couple lines in.

I've always included FTF prizes in all but my micro caches, which are few. I guess that makes me a newbie. :)

Typically my FTF prizes are BFL's, small binoculars or brand new cell phones. I never spend more than $5-15 on a FTF prize. Very occasionally I mix it up and offer a 10th-to-find prize instead. :)

The comment that it's always the same few people who achieve FTF is a good point and has made me think. I have a new small series of caches I'm working on and perhaps I'll limit the FTF prize to those with less than 200 finds.

Thought maybe even a 2 dollar Bill or small gift card to the local sporting good store.

Point is, that sometimes coins and such can get expensive when you are considering putting out several caches, so maybe you guys have some creative ideas!

A local cacher (retiredprof) has 958 hides. Of course some are earth caches or event caches but he generally includes a $2 bill in his traditional caches as a FTF prize. Yes, it can get expensive! I've also seen a number of caches which state there is a "recycled retiredprof $2 bill" for the FTF as some of us have re-used the bills we found.

I've found unactivated geocoins, $2 bills ( :laughing: ) and even a few $5 bills and a $5 Starbucks card as FTF prizes. Some folks have included FTF buttons or certificates. Most folks don't include anything for the FTF.

I used to zoom out the door to try for the FTF all the time but it was never for the FTF prize. I was just into seeing that empty log book and being the first one to find the cache. Of course I sometimes ended up being the one to discover the coordinates were horribly off but that's part of the FTF game.

In Denmark it's traditional to place a First Finder Certificate in new caches. Some are very creative and some are just a handwritten note with "Congratulations - you were first to find GCxxxxx cache name" or something like that. Most FFCs we have seen has been been made on a computer, printed and laminated. It's nice to have something extra to remember a first find by.

Also many hiders put the name of the FTF on the cache page afterwards.

I really like the naming of the cache idea and we might try it out someday.

\Mette

Was just hoping to get some ideas on creative first to find rewards...

Obviously, there is the Signal F2F Coin, as well as other geocoins.

I've also seen lotto scratch offs.

And I thought about doing a "Make your own" kit with a Bison tube, hook, RiR logsheet or even a Soda Preform Tube - Official Geocache sticker, and RiR logsheet.

Lets hear them!

I like the idea of the lottery scratcher. In my state, you can buy them for a buck, and you just might make a FTF a very happy person. Or, if saving money is the option, then leave nothing. As has been said, just finding a blank log sheet is the reward. We have a very active group of FTFer's in my area. On the few times that I have beaten them, I am amused.

I have, so far, only found 1$ as a FTF prize.

"Very occasionally I mix it up and offer a 10th-to-find prize instead."

In my first hide, I put a 'consolation prize" of $1 for the SECOND to find, since I've had the STF experience so many times and wanted to make it a nice surprise instead of a disappointment. I bet with 10th-to-find you get a LOT of people watching your cache....

"Very occasionally I mix it up and offer a 10th-to-find prize instead."

In my first hide, I put a 'consolation prize" of $1 for the SECOND to find, since I've had the STF experience so many times and wanted to make it a nice surprise instead of a disappointment. I bet with 10th-to-find you get a LOT of people watching your cache....

For my first cache, and before I ever got first or second to find I put in a $5 US bill for FTF and a Canadian $5 bill for second to find (...waves to narcissa).

I think I put a certificate in one or two other hides after that but haven't done anything extra for FTF since.

I think FTF prizes are a good idea. I'm sure that nobody feels "obligated" to include them in their hides, so if they're doing it, it's just to add that extra bit of fun to the FTF. Inexpensive, unique items are definitely the way to go.

It always makes me smile when people get all serious about "It's the thrill of the hunt that really matters". It is, and that's the whole idea. However, I love digging through caches full of stuff! I'm like a kid when it comes to a well stocked cache. I'm just as excited about digging through all the crap in an ammo can as I am about finding it in the first place. I'm guessing that the people who are leaving FTF prizes are often of this same mindset :laughing:

Speaking only for myself... I think "FTF prizes" are a bit tacky. For one thing, all most people want when they first find the cache is an empty log. Second, it feels (to me) like a bit of a bribe to get people to look for your cache. I honestly can't think of a single local cacher with more than a couple of hides out there that puts anything in for the FTF. It seems to be more of a newbie hider thing.

Again, that is ONLY my opinion, and there will be plenty of dissenting ones, I'm sure.

That said, if you really feel you want to, I think your "Make your own" kit is a good idea.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughing::):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wish, there's a local geocacher with about 80 hides last time I checked, he hides about 1 every two days. He puts in $50's most of the time. $100's when generous, and $20's when feeling poor.

Edited by Coldgears