Wikicoin

manu luq

Hi All!,

A few months ago I started my geocoins collection :sad:

I like to have a certain order in my collection, so patiently I'm looking for my geocoins data (still too few), I'm doing my own catalog.

Would be very interesting to have an official catalog of all geocoins that exist, and all possible data on each of them: short story, year, country, finishing, photos, quantities manufactured, which factory, designer, developer , etc ...

I suppose some day someone (better teamwork ) will get to work, and then we can enter the name of the geocoin, and with a click to know all about it!

Meanwhile, the search is laborious and results are sometimes incomplete, but also is part of the fantastic hobby of geocaching.

I don't know if this topic has already been addressed here, but if not, if someone likes the idea and wants to implement it, among all would be quick and easy, something like making a database together, open (writeable) and online, public acces.

May be called “wikicoin”, the biggest and best database geocoins... :grin:

I think the second phase would be to agree on what data should be put in the catalog.

This catalog may be positive for all designers, collectors, promoters, sponsors, manufacturers, vendors, ...

PD: Apologize for the language, my accent is not very good :anibad:

Greetings,

Manuel

While it's not a wiki, it *is* intended to be a community effort once I get past my current technical difficulties with editing...

Take a look at http://geotrackable.info

The data that is currently in there today is based around the current contents of my collection (well, and NepoKama's collection too) though I'm working on making it editable to the community, along with things like 'data confirmed by manufacturer/designer' so that you can have some idea of how accurate the data is.

Unfortunately, as we've entered fall, I've not had as much time to spend on it as I'd like, so the community editing is currently a bit behind where I wanted to be by now.

While it's not a wiki, it *is* intended to be a community effort once I get past my current technical difficulties with editing...

The data that is currently in there today is based around the current contents of my collection (well, and NepoKama's collection too) though I'm working on making it editable to the community, along with things like 'data confirmed by manufacturer/designer' so that you can have some idea of how accurate the data is.

Unfortunately, as we've entered fall, I've not had as much time to spend on it as I'd like, so the community editing is currently a bit behind where I wanted to be by now.

Very good your database, congratulations and thanks :)

I have not much time for everything I like, so I have to choose, and I think the wikicoin have to make other, perhaps someone will do in the near future, ...I hope :)

Regards!

Nice job!!! Would love to see the contributions of the coiners that have been around years.

Manuel-Wow! What a great job you are doing on this. I'm very impressed! I know this is an overwhelming job, but it appears that you have managed to get this catalog nicely organized. I'd help if I could, but I haven't got a clue how to do these things! :):)

BTW, I have often thought there should be a reference catalog, too. I'm glad you have taken the initiative to start one.

I do have a personal coin you could add to the list. I'm sure there are many others in the forums that could provide you with information on their personal coins, if you are interested. Besides, now that you have posted here, I'm sure you will get a lot of information to add to your catalog. :)

Manuel-Wow! What a great job you are doing on this. I'm very impressed! I know this is an overwhelming job, but it appears that you have managed to get this catalog nicely organized. I'd help if I could, but I haven't got a clue how to do these things! ;):laughing:

BTW, I have often thought there should be a reference catalog, too. I'm glad you have taken the initiative to start one.

I do have a personal coin you could add to the list. I'm sure there are many others in the forums that could provide you with information on their personal coins, if you are interested. Besides, now that you have posted here, I'm sure you will get a lot of information to add to your catalog. :)

Thanks, but the work -very good job- was made Mekler, not me :rolleyes:

Manuel-Wow! What a great job you are doing on this. I'm very impressed! I know this is an overwhelming job, but it appears that you have managed to get this catalog nicely organized. I'd help if I could, but I haven't got a clue how to do these things! :rolleyes::laughing:

I do have a personal coin you could add to the list. I'm sure there are many others in the forums that could provide you with information on their personal coins, if you are interested. Besides, now that you have posted here, I'm sure you will get a lot of information to add to your catalog. ;)

Oh, yes! As an owner/artist of a personal coin, feel free to drop me an email through my profile with the details, and I'll get it in the database. I'll also mark it artist-confirmed.

yes i like your idea.. one of the coins in your cat. is mine.... Eye of the Tribal Flower.. there are actually 9 different coins (editions) plz visit my website in my sig line for more info and a description for you cat. :laughing: contact me if you need... also there is another coin i am artist of and you will find that on my site too. feel free to use the info that you want from my site. :)

So, it's taken a lot longer than I had originally hoped, but I have a solution for editing the catalog on geotrackable.info now working.

And as such, I now need a small cast of volunteers to poke at it and give me feedback. :) I'd like to keep the count to 2 or 3 to begin with, while we work through the initial growing pains.

-Mike

I've always been interested in geocoins, but decided not to start to collect them, because of financial reason.

Instead I thought about collecting coin information and pictures - it's free in the internet. Searching for resources I found a lot of started collections, databases, blogs and trading sites. None of them seemed to be really organized.

The catalog by Mekle made the best impression to me, but there was no news for a long time. A good idea was the trackablewiki by Forthferalz, but not very many people participate there (anymore).

So I decided to create an own catalogue with the goal to collect information in an easy way, to be as accurate as possible and to be fun browsing through the information.

After installing a mediawiki on my local machine I found out that using templates and categories might be a good way to put things into a good structure, but editing is painful because of all the links that have to be maintained.

To just offer a list of coins and pictures like the coingallery - (I'd like to know where those 9000+ pictures went, btw) - doesn't help finding anything, especially when people don't know the name of a coin - or people like to now what coins there a that show flowers, animals, or other special interest. Last week a cacher told me that she'd like to collect coins with butterflies... so how do you find out what coins there are?

To make things short: I'd like to show you my results that I achieved as a non-professional programmer. The data was collected moving along the icon numbering at geocaching.com. The status quo is at icon 403, with over 450 different coins that exist in over 900 different materials. To have an orienteering: those last coins were published in Spring 2006. So there is way more out there... (current icon >5600 in July 2012). It can't be achieved by one person alone.

In the last couple weeks I thought about how to get people to participate in collecting information. Now Mekle came out with an update about his catalog and kind of the same question. That made me hesitate about my postig and I contacted Mekle to tell him about my effords. The last couple days I put some work into getting things to run on a public webspace so I can show it to him, because I don't want to make anyone feel bad and I don't want to produce any bad feelings either. While (still) waiting for a reply about my solution I continued working on it a bit and like to introduce the slightly more improved version to everyone here and now.

My wish would be to have one working catalog in the end that matches the goals mentioned above and that is free, because that way everybody cares enough, and there is a chance to get it almost complete on a current level. I very likely won't be able to program and/or maintain a user edited database myself. But I like to get some feedback (via my Groundspeak's profile page or here in this thread.) about my solution that you can find by visiting http://www.nepomukhausen.de/Coins/index.php - here you see the categories that I chose.

Maybe some of my ideas are good enough to make it into that catalog about to come.

Some usage hints:

-> Use the links in the Tag-section to see how it is possible to find related coins.

-> There is no full-text search available.

-> Use the prev/next - links at the top to browse quickly through layouts or series'.

-> Some Layout and Edition names of coins and probably most of the Series' names are (more or less) slighty adapted to be as unique as possible.

-> To see, how it might look with some (ten) images start here (and click the next-Link a couple times): http://www.nepomukhausen.de/Coins/index.php?object=Layout&id=345 - since I don't own any picture I'm reducing this impression to only a couple.

-> More techical: Clicking the icons gets you to a page that shows all editions that are listed with this icon, but it's a dead end for now, because I didn't connect coin layouts with icons, because there are some coins out there, that have different icons depending on the material (e.g. Compass Rose 2006, Caching America,...). Originally there was an Edition display page, but it doesn't have really more information that the Layout page unless you put different images or more specific information in....

-> In the Additional Information section you find quotes from the internet including the source where and the date when it was found.

That's enough for now - thank you for reading, exploring and giving feedback!

PS: I tried my best about the language - I'm not a native English speaker.

Edited by JoergWausW

Thank you for your feedback!

Right now I'm emailing with Mekle about what to do if we can mix both concept to a better one, that would be great.

It shouldn't be that people are requested to contribute the same for several websites.

More feedback on both concepts is still welcome.