Three Epic Fails out of Three tries

Fire0725

Couldn't find it. This is my third fail in a row. I'm 0/3. 3 attempts at 3 different caches all

In different areas and couldn't find a single one! I thought this would be fun for the kids and I. But it's NOT because we can't find them! Thought it was the gps on iPhone so brought tom-tom and still nothing. I think they are all buried under leaves and stuff and I'm not up to battling branches and leaves with two small kids and a big puppy. I'm glad you're all having fun but I just feel like this is

A very silly waste of time!! Yes, I'm bitter!! What are we doing wrong? The iPhone says we are literally ON TOP of All three caches but we see and find nothing every time! Pls help before I just give up!

Frustrated!

Thanks

Couldn't find it. This is my third fail in a row. I'm 0/3. 3 attempts at 3 different caches all

In different areas and couldn't find a single one! I thought this would be fun for the kids and I. But it's NOT because we can't find them! Thought it was the gps on iPhone so brought tom-tom and still nothing. I think they are all buried under leaves and stuff and I'm not up to battling branches and leaves with two small kids and a big puppy. I'm glad you're all having fun but I just feel like this is

A very silly waste of time!! Yes, I'm bitter!! What are we doing wrong? The iPhone says we are literally ON TOP of All three caches but we see and find nothing every time! Pls help before I just give up!

Frustrated!

Thanks

Can you give us a little more information such as:

* The difficulty/terrain ratings?

* What kind of hide was it, in the woods? Any clues from the description/hint/title?

* What size is the cache?

* Do the logs show if others are finding the Cache?

tomtoms are not really good units for geocaching as they insist on staying on the road. the only way to use them is by comparing raw coordinates, which is very cumbersome.

iphones are theoretically usable, but have a reputation for bad accuracy. version 4 phones supposedly aren't too bad, but older models can be kilometers off at times.

other than that, the usual hints for beginners apply: prefer larger caches, avoid micros. prefer caches with low difficulty, avoid anothing with 2.5 or over. don't expect your GPS (whatever it may be) to get you to the exact location, it will only ever get you so close.

Edited by dfx

Also...

"The iPhone says we are literally ON TOP of All three caches "

Don't necessarily believe it!

A handheld recreational GPS will typically get you to within 30ft of the cache - I can't comment on the accuracy of your iPhone - You may be virtually "on top of it" but be prepared to search within a 30ft radius. Once you get to what appears to be the right location stop staring at the iPhone and start thinking, "Now, where would I hide something around here?"

MrsB :anibad:

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

These are supposed to be easy, quick finds, with little or no difficulty (1/1 ratings, at worst, 1/2 ratings). Everyone else seems to be finding these with ease -- so I'm feeling very stupid right now.

The first one, was a micro, and could only be hidden along the side of a parking lot (about 2.5 feet wide). I think along the side the grassy edge of that lot, that meets a wooden / rock retaining wall of sorts. There are trees there too -- poked around a LOT in, under, on the trees, nothing. In rocks, under rocks. nothing. In grass -- even stuck my hand in a hold the size of my fist between the edge of the wall and the grass / rocks... nothing.

The second was off a ravine path. Apparently overlooking a pond. We couldn't see a view of the pond in question - so we think the gps was way wrong. Thats a forrested area, currently covered in leaves and muck... and was supposed to be a camo'd peanut butter jar. We never even saw anything remotely close to it. We stomped through mud, trudged over rocks, hills, branches... reeds... nothing.

The third one was in a park... we even checked google maps using the coordinates and street view to get a visual of what we were looking for. It shows the item is in the trees (probably IN the trees, or under the now fallen leaves). I believe this was a micro. I went around and around, using BOTH the tom tom and iphone this time, but couldn't find anything. I again had the kids, and the giant puppy with me. Maddening. I got scraped by branches, muddied up the kids again... and STILL found nothing!!

I appreciate the suggestions -- I really do!! We're going out in sunshine, afternoons... we're actually hunting... not just glancing around... and STILL we are unable to find them!!

I think I'm going to plant some caches around this town in BIG, NEON PINK boxes... designed for us... the noobies!! :anibad:

The first one, was a micro, and could only be hidden along the side of a parking lot (about 2.5 feet wide).

if you're from north america: was there a lamp post around? some of those metal skirts lift up, you know...

also, some caches (especially micros) are attached magnetically. a guardrail is a common place to put them.

The third one was in a park... we even checked google maps using the coordinates and street view to get a visual of what we were looking for. It shows the item is in the trees (probably IN the trees, or under the now fallen leaves). I believe this was a micro.

were the trees evergreens? micros in evergreens can even give experienced cachers headaches. don't trust the streetview to tell you where to look, but the regular aerial view can give you some good clues.

I think I'm going to plant some caches around this town in BIG, NEON PINK boxes... designed for us... the noobies!! :grin:

the problem is that those won't stick around for very long :anibad:

all caches are hidden somehow, but usually not just under some fallen leaves, as those are seasonal and can get blown away. look for something that seems out of place, pieces of bark, a pile of sticks, a rock - things that couldn't have gotten there by themselves.

don't use the tomtom, it will mislead you more than help you. if you use the iphone (which one?), try to learn its limitation and (in)accuracies.

Edited by dfx

Neither of the devices you are using will help you much. Use the Tom Tom to find a place to park, then leave it be.

Using an iphone, you're going to have to use a wider search radius than someone with a handheld.

Find some easy ammo boxes - they are hard to miss even from a distance. Micros and other small ones can be missed even when you ARE right on top of them. There's one micro I hunted on a few occasions and turned up empty every time. It's now halfway across the country, but if I find myself in the area again, I'm going to hunt it again because it's something of my nemesis.

a few of my recent cache outings have had low success rates because the locals have allowed unmaintained caches to persist in that condition for years.

Well -- nothing looked out of place in two of the locations.

in the immediate area of the first location there is a sign post on the side of the road a few feet away from where I was hunting... there is a black bag tied to that sign post. Its been there for months, but not as long as the cache was hidden, so I think its not related?

I'm stumped. LOL. I might have another go at these three when I haven't got the kids and the giant 50lb puppy with me. LOL... they are distractions in themselves.

I think i'd be so much more enthusiastic if I could just find ONE!

I realize the neon pink one wouldn't last -- it would end up muggled -- but still..... I was reading through the thread about camo'd caches... and was shocked to see the effort people put into hiding these things!! From carving out logs, to fake acorns, and fake electical outlets, fake rocks, a submersible submarine for which one has to find the remote control first!! Oye!!

Some of you guys seem very hardcore!!

I hope for success soon! I road trip often with the kids, and this could be a great game to play along any route!

Don't feel bad, my first find I think I found by mistake with the clue. My perfectly good GPS sure didn't get me there! Then second one I was so far off, had a nice walk though in a pretty area. Then I was on the totally wrong side of the street for my next one, a 6 lane road! Finally I found out that I had the GPS set incorrectly. Then I went to an event in my area and the lighbulb came on. So my suggestion is try to find some locals to hook up with. We are a friendly lot. Give us a little idea of where you are and we can find you local events and or forums to find someone to help!

It sounds like you could use a mentor to help you get started. I don't think I've ever met a cacher that wouldn't lend a hand to a newbie.

There are geocaching groups all over the world and usually one within fairly easy reach of someone new.

If you give us a general idea of where you're located one of us can probably head you in the direction of a lcoal to you group. You can then either approach some of the members through email or attend an event and meet some of them.

Hey,

You all sure seem like a friendly bunch!! :)

I think I definitely need a mentor to show me the ropes --

I'm in Whitby, Ontario.

Think what I might do is post a note to the forum asking for people who've planted caches in my area to lend me a hand -- they're the experts! :)

I'm not giving up yet - you've all convinced me out of a bad mood following three epic fails -- and have been soo friendly!! I'm sure there is a cache out there somewhere that doesn't take a NASA engineer to locate (LOL!). :D

If it makes you feel better, we're relatively new too. In fact (shh... don't tell on me!) several of our first finds (and DNFs) were based on printouts with clues, and large blown-up Google maps.

I now have a handheld GPS (testing it out before the return expires), and my husband's got a Droid phone with GPS. Success rate has gone up ... but that's also due to getting used to looking the way local geocachers do. My kids (poor guinea pigs) now think we should just look under every lamp skirt we pass, just in case. :)

A few times, we'd not find things, only to come back and find the owner had (in between my printing and the search!) disabled the thing temporarily, or a well-meaning newbie had confiscated a micro because of an upcoming event in the area where he was afraid it would get muggled (not realized some visitors might actually be seeking it that day!). So sometimes it's NOT you or your equipment.

My GPS, maps, and compass have all been wonky at times, even when I really WAS standing at precisely ground zero ... get within fifteen feet or so and you're doing good, and then it's clues and eyes and detective work from there.

Definitely go for bigger ones if you can, preferably with very recent find dates (a string of them is best!). Try a few without the kids. Get a friend with a different GPS to go along at the same time, and compare notes. See if there's a meetup in your area where you can tag along and get some tips and experience (helped me out!). You might also see about searching for letterbox hybrids, as those tend to have more actual clues to help you out (or can be cross-listed on the letterboxer websites, and will have more clues there). That might be a way to get started.

Lots of luck! It really does get fun once you start finding them, and the Did Not Finds become some really funny stories.

Take a deep breath. Educate yourself using the knowledge books, Hide and Seek page, and Geocaching 101 tutorials. Many people jump in head first and have no clue what to look for or where to look. I read everything and still found nothing the first 3 times I looked. Went to a regular used the clues provided and had success. That success helped me find lots of caches that day.

Even now approaching 2 years and 1500 found I still have days where I cannot find 1.5 difficulty caches. Coordinates are only as accurate as the person who took them. If they took them once for 5 seconds on a cloudy day with their Iphone they can be 50 feet off. I found my first 470 with my Garmin nuvi. Make sure your TomTom is in off road mode, and once you get withing 50 feet use your eyes. Poke around. Also ask the cache owner for a clue. If a new cacher asked me for help I would gladly give it to them, even going out of my eye to go caching with them.

2 kids and a dog is a daunting task. Kids like quick finds, and not all finds will be quick. As they mature they will grow to appreciate the challenge. You will too. If you found every cache in 5 minutes you'd get bored quick.

You can post the GC code here and you'll probably get some tips. I would check that sign post look in the ground or right under the sign.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

These are supposed to be easy, quick finds, with little or no difficulty (1/1 ratings, at worst, 1/2 ratings). Everyone else seems to be finding these with ease -- so I'm feeling very stupid right now.

...snip...

The second was off a ravine path. Apparently overlooking a pond. We couldn't see a view of the pond in question - so we think the gps was way wrong. Thats a forrested area, currently covered in leaves and muck... and was supposed to be a camo'd peanut butter jar. We never even saw anything remotely close to it. We stomped through mud, trudged over rocks, hills, branches... reeds... nothing.

Was this one GC1DPQJ Hazelwood?

When you get stuck on a cache and are determined to find it, go back home and pore (pour?) over the old logs. There aren't many clues in the logs for this one but there's:

• "and followed the geotrail right to it" - If there is long grass around a cache previous cachers will leave a trail.
  • 'Found cache at 267 deg. mag. and 5 metres from listed' - this cacher's GPS disagreed with the owners and he found it 5 metres away - this gives you an idea of the search radius you need to look in.

Another thing to look at is the satelite view on the geocaching maps view from the cache's page. If the cache owner's positioning is correct (and sometimes that's a big if) the satellite view is pretty reliable.

I know people are stating that the iphone is not very accurate. But I would like to ask which version. Currently I have an iphone 4 and other than a couple of really well hidden caches I have been on top of the cache maybe within 5 to 10 feet of the cache. There is definitely some searching that needs to happen after that though.

You may also want to head out on your own without the kids and the dog as a distraction to get one or two under you belt so you have a better idea of what you are looking for.

Good luck and don't give up.

Keep with it, it is worth it in the end.

I had real trouble finding my first cache. I went back to it 3 times. I was sure I had looked everywhere. In the end, after an extra hint from the CO it turned out I literally HAD been standing on top of it on the 3 occasions I had gone to look for it.

I only have 6 finds up to now, but its getting easier each time to find.

Hey,

You all sure seem like a friendly bunch!! :)

I think I definitely need a mentor to show me the ropes --

I'm in Whitby, Ontario.

Think what I might do is post a note to the forum asking for people who've planted caches in my area to lend me a hand -- they're the experts! :)

I'm not giving up yet - you've all convinced me out of a bad mood following three epic fails -- and have been soo friendly!! I'm sure there is a cache out there somewhere that doesn't take a NASA engineer to locate (LOL!). :D

I looked in your area and didn't see any events nearby. But there is a Canadian forum here on Groundspeak,

and here is a post with the local groups

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2800938

I had the same problem. I had three no finds before my first find. If the hide is under trees, the accuracy of your GPSr will go down. My first find was at the edge of a field, so I was within five feet of the cache.

Use the cache size as a guide, and then think of where you would hide something that size from a casual observer.

The first find is worth the misses. Keep trying.

Frustrated!

Thanks

I felt the same way and now I am up to the dizzy high number of 16 :) !!!!

There are a few in my town which I (we) have been back to time and time again and I will find the little blighters yet :)

Don't give up, I thought the same, what am I doing wrong, but once you find your first cache there will be no stopping you :( I was jumping up and down at my first find. look also for clues in the logs online that other geocachers have written when they have found a cache, that can help as someone told me to do that. You can sometimes find a little clue here and there by reading the logs online.

Don't give up, I know how you feel :D oh and they all seem to be micro here in the town so that was difficult but we now know what to look for as some are very very sneaky lol

Edited by ayrbrain

Well we returned to one we failed to find yesterday (a micro in a park). And.... Another epic fail!! I MUST be in the right spot though as there just isn't anywhere else it could be, short of burried! Perhaps a local read of my frustration and places a hint? I found a pepsi can in the spot I was digging around in which most definatley was not there yesterday! Lol. I thought THAT was the cache and picked it up but it wasn't. It really was a half full pepsi can. Lol.

Couldn't spend more time searching as the dog was attached to my hip on lead, eating branches, and my kids (toddlers) were intent on eating the berries they found growing on the trees, which I am pretty sure are NOT edible!!

Have to try some other time.

Well we returned to one we failed to find yesterday (a micro in a park). And.... Another epic fail!! I MUST be in the right spot though as there just isn't anywhere else it could be, short of burried! Perhaps a local read of my frustration and places a hint? I found a pepsi can in the spot I was digging around in which most definatley was not there yesterday! Lol. I thought THAT was the cache and picked it up but it wasn't. It really was a half full pepsi can. Lol.

Couldn't spend more time searching as the dog was attached to my hip on lead, eating branches, and my kids (toddlers) were intent on eating the berries they found growing on the trees, which I am pretty sure are NOT edible!!

Have to try some other time.

A micro in the park. Nothing like setting the bar high for your first find. Could it be a micro like this one?

Nanogeocache.jpg

Yeah they get pretty small.

Limit yourself to nothing smaller than a small and difficulty no more than 1.5. And if you give us some GC numbers we can make suggestions on what to look for.

You have been given very good advice and I can't add much except, Don't become discouraged,

You have to look around inside a 30' circle at a minimum, and many things will add to that circle, CO original coord errors, tree cover, biuldings, especially metal towers and bridges, I could go on but I hope you get the idea.

And go for larger hides until you have found a few, you will have a better idea of what to look for.

Good luck, have fun.

Try not to use the cache you're looking for to scratch around for the cache you're looking for.

OMG! That ^^ is a micro cache?!? That's insane!! Lol!! I thought I might be looking for a film canister or a pill bottle but something like that ^^ would never even occur to me!! Worse, there are wet leaves and muck everywhere which I'm sure are making it hard to find!!

And if it is one of those, they are magnetic. But again, give us some GC numbers, suggestions can be made.

Ah, parking lot. Are there concrete bumpers in the parking spaces? Did you check the rebar "holding" the bumpers in place for one that might be loose and have a bison tube on the end? Really, start with something other than micros to get some finds and build a little confidence. Micros can be a challenge even for experienced cachers.

You've already been advised to stick to small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. As you've discovered, micro micro.gif size caches can be smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos").

It may also help to stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak.

Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Good advice from all. As has been suggested several times, please post the GC numbers of the caches you're looking for. The number we're talking about can be found in the upper right hand corner of the cache page. That will give others more information about what it is you seek.

GPS receivers vary from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer. I've had reliable units spit out bad coordinates for no discernible reason. Some times, too, the listed coordinates can be off. I've found caches that were 100 feet (30 meters) away from the posted coordinates.

Tossing my 2 cents into the fray about iPhones: We have a local who is hiding caches using his iPhone and the coords have been excellent. No idea about what generation it is, though.

OMG! That ^^ is a micro cache?!? That's insane!! Lol!! I thought I might be looking for a film canister or a pill bottle but something like that ^^ would never even occur to me!! Worse, there are wet leaves and muck everywhere which I'm sure are making it hard to find!!
Not all (or even most) micros are like that one, but that one would indeed be classified as a micro, although they are generally referred to as a "nano" or a "blinky".

My advice... use the Tom-Tom for driving. And stay away from micros for the time-being. Try for some regulars first, then some smalls, and finally micros. Most cachers seem to prefer the regulars (and the places they tend to be hidden in) anyway.

This was our first experiance with a LPC (light pole cache) they SUCK! lol

I had the same problem when I first started.

The reason it was 0.5 miles from you, is that these things are 0.5 miles from everywhere! They are really easy to make, and easy to hide. Light poles are available everywhere. I have at least ten of these things around my town.

Problem is, if you have seen one, you have seen them all.

Now that you know about the light pole trick, you will be sure to check every light pole near the cache coordinates. Some clever hides are within a few feet of the light poles, but are not in them, just to throw you a curveball.

One I found recently was a magnetic nano, stuck inside the base of a lamp post, but up inside it where you cannot see.

Hi Fire0725,

Don't give up... I am very new to this and I know what you mean...

The first micro cache I found I could not believe someone thought this up.

There are a lot of cleaver people out there hiding caches ...

When my GPS beeps at ground zero, I start looking in a 15ft 360 degree circle.

I have a cache really close to my house that everybody finds but me..

But I have found some that few have found.. Start with the bigger caches and

work your way down.. I hope this helps.

Keep searching !!!!!

Hi Fire0725,

I'm new to this too! Just started in August. I have yet to find a micro. The first time I went out my friend and I had a few micros on our list, and we didn't find a single one. I've now only been looking for the larger ones. Sometimes there's a micro right near a larger one I'm looking for, and I'll give the micro a try, but no luck.

If there were a lot of leaves, etc, around ... it can be worth posting a DNF on the cache page ... if it really has gone missing, the owner will at least have a chance to respond. Sometimes that happens. We went caching in a neighboring town because of a relative's wedding ... picked three that were supposed to be easy and right near the main road ... and three for three not found. One was in a park, a regular size, and presumably had been muggled, given the amount of trash in the vicinity. One was on a "Welcome to X" sign and, judging by the past logs, is magnetic and falls off and gets lost regularly. Had we known, we might have dug through the leaves ... or not ... as it was a micro. The third, I forget what happened, but it was a similar story. We had the right spot ... just no luck that day.

We letterbox as well as geocache, and after seeking a clue to one box, the hider told me about a geocache in the same area. Never would have found either if I hadn't asked ... but found both on the next try, due to the extra hint. And one in my area, regular size, keeps getting rehidden too hard ... when I couldn't find it a couple times in a row (and had a buddy giving me a hard time about it), some previous finders went to check on it and even THEY couldn't find it ... turns out someone shoved it a little too far up the hollow tree ... it was there all along ... turned a difficulty 1 into at least a 3! So you never know ... it's worth logging the ones you've not found, especially if you've looked more than once, so you can get a hint or the cache owner can be aware of problems.

Post some codes and see if folks can steer you towards some specific ideas!

Fire027 - everyone has offered you excellent advice. Please don't get discouraged. I think I DNF'd the first 17 that I looked for. (Yes SEVENTEEN!) This was all due to the fact that I didn't have anyone who could show me what to do or what to look for.

I tried looking at your profile, but you didn't have a location listed. So..I would offer this advice: Find an event near you and go. Once you're there, you can find people who will happily go with you to a cache site or two and show you the ins & outs of cache finding.

On the front page of www.geocaching.com is the event section. It's kind of hard to find, but it's in the center towards the bottom. You'll have to click the link that says "show all events" and then look at the calendar. Check out dates that have your state listed and find an event close to your home.

Besides being frustrated, you're missing out on one of the most amazing parts of Geocaching - meeting new friends :laughing:

P.S. If you need help, feel free to contact me. But don't give up!

There is a lot of good advice here. I would add one thing, especially for caches larger than micros. Look for things that aren't quite right for the area they are in. Example: A lawn timber in a brush pile is fairly normal. A lawn timber in a brush pile in the middle of a state forest, not so much. Or: A broken cement block in a hole in the foundation of a destroyed house is fairly normal, unless the house had a field-stone foundation. Sometimes the things you will see are really subtle, often you won't be able to say just what exactly catches your attention other than a sense of "wrongness". Don't give up, when you get it figured out it's a lot of fun. And a really good excuse to get out from in front of the TV :unsure:

I got the following from the Glossary of Terms on the Resources page of Geocaching.com.

WGS84

The most current geodetic datum used for GPS is the World Geodetic System of 1984 (WGS84). The significance of WGS84 comes about because GPS receivers rely on WGS84.

Geocaching uses the WGS84 datum by default. We also use the format HDDD MM.MM, which is a standard for GPS receivers (like the eTrex).

HDD means Hemisphere and degrees. MM.MM are minutes in decimal format. If you have any questions, you can either visit the forums or contact us directly.

It is critical that the format be correct, otherwise geocachers will be unable to find your cache!

In summary make sure you are using the WGS84 datum setting on you GPS Receiver as well as using the decimal format for your coordinates. You will be way off if your settings are not correct. I would also advise that you get the Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching. This is an excellant resource.

My suggestions:

Avoid microcaches at first.

Do a couple of them without dog and kiddos to get used to it. Trying to divide your attention makes you miss things.

Look up. Look down. Look behind signs. Look amongst the leaves in the trees (that was a good one....) as was already said, look for the out of place.

Trust your instincts. If you are in one location, and your mind says "That rock pile 30 feet away looks like it would have a geocache, go there. If you don't think you should put your hand in an unknown hole in a weird place, don't do it (even if it IS the geocache location)

Enjoy the journey. Sometimes, the walk TO the geocache is the prize.

Try again another day. One day my coords were off by 300 ft. Next day they were on. Couldn't tell you why. Maybe sunspots.

There are occasions when Eccentric Dad can look around and not see a cache, while I can just feel it being somewhere and walk to it. Sounds crazy, but it happens. Once you find one, you get an instinct for what to look for.

Good Luck!