Colorado trip coming up--

Dame Deco

I'm really enjoying the Allegheny Geotrail in PA and intend to to the Great Lakes challenge in the spring--are there any of these sorts of things

in the Rocky Mountains at this time? Any information would be appreciated--thanks!

I think there is a jeep 4x4 challenge, there is a grave site series , but over all where ever you go there's sure to be plenty of caches!

Enjoy your trip out here!

I'm really enjoying the Allegheny Geotrail in PA and intend to to the Great Lakes challenge in the spring--are there any of these sorts of things in the Rocky Mountains at this time? Any information would be appreciated--thanks!

There are plenty of caches up in the Rocky Mountains, and there's a little for everyone. I'm not sure what the Alleghen Geotrail is, so I'm not sure what to compare it to out here.

If you're looking for some good tough cache challenges, Crosier Mountain has a number of challenges on it, including Mac and Anne's. It'll be a day in the woods though, with about 14 miles of hiking and over 3,000 in elevation gain.

If you'd rather stay in the 4x4 area, there are a bunch of RM ORS (Rocky Mountain Off Road Series) out there. Some are more technical than others, so read up on them before trying any.

If you're in between, and want to do some hiking and 4x4ing in the same day, Old Flowers Road has a good mix. The road isn't technical, but 4wd is needed.

Again, I don't have a reference to what the trail in PA is, so I could be way off base here. But I hope this helps, and if it doesn't please post more about the Allegheny Geotrail and I'll see what's comparable here.

Edit to add: Just searched the forums and read up on the PA trail. As others have stated, I don't believe there's a geocoin reward at the end of any of them. However, if you find Tahosa's Celtic Cross I'll pony up a nice prize at the end for you.

Edited by Team Laxson

Thanks, Team Laxson--it's basically a challenge to do at least six caches in 10 different counties to get 10 different coins in Pennsylvania. West Virginia has something similar, although it's 15 caches in 3 categories plus a general cache everyone does for the coin.

I probably won't be able to head into the high country on this trip--I was interested to see if there was a coin challenge series, but apparently there isn't. I'm going to bookmark the caches you listed, though, so that maybe I can do them when I'm in Colorado in the summer.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!