Found $23,000 in cash and jewelery....

BugNbunny

Actually it was a geocacher who lost the cash and jewelery and a non geocacher who found it and returned it.

:ph34r:

Uh, what idjit goes geocaching with 23k worth of cash and jewlery? :grin::sad:

You can't fix stupid, but I guess stupid sometimes gets lucky and gets their stuff back. :anibad:

Triplicate thread.

PHEW... its a good thing your here!!

Actually it was a geocacher who lost the cash and jewelery and a non geocacher who found it and returned it.

:ph34r:

Uh, what idjit goes geocaching with 23k worth of cash and jewlery? :grin::sad:

You can't fix stupid, but I guess stupid sometimes gets lucky and gets their stuff back. :anibad:

Thats exactly what i was thinking!!! WHY in the world would you go out carrying that around!?!?!?

Edited by BugNbunny

I sometimes go caching with my phone, my laptop, my gps with me,if I need them for a job and I don't want to leave them in the car.

When I'm on holiday I bring my passport along, since I need to have that with me.

There might be all kinds of reasons for this, without calling someone an idiot. Of course, I would leave the jewelry at home, but then again, maybe the person was travelling around in a RV or something. Carrying things with you sounds better than leaving them in a car. Of course I would pay the rent by bank, not cash, but then again: other countries might have other habits.

Until the publicity from this dies down, I'd suggest that we all leave our backpacks at home when we go caching, lest we become targets for robbers and theives. :anibad:

The article explains why she had the loot with her (although I'm surprised that she'd be using cache for the $5K down payment).

Until the publicity from this dies down, I'd suggest that we all leave our backpacks at home when we go caching, lest we become targets for robbers and theives. :grin:

I've worked in corporate security & safety for 23 years now. I'm always assessing targets and risks...

At my very first event in 2003, The Texas Challenge by 9Key, Moosiegirl, & UsMorrows, I looked at the cars in the parking lot, at the gps units, the cameras, and computers, PDAs (remember those), the REI backpacks, boots and other hiling accessories and thought.... WOW, this event is target rich for a casual thief, car thief, or armed robber. Of course, in Texas, about every 3rd person is also packing heat, so I never worried much. :anibad:

Just this year prior to GW8, some thieves found the cacher's vehicles at the trailhead to the APE cache to be target rich. Many cacher's cars were hit. One guy lost thousands of dollars worth of geocoins. The threat prompted me to take a novel approach at finding the cache which I will not put in writing, but I wasn't the only one to think of it.

I sometimes go caching with my phone, my laptop, my gps with me,if I need them for a job and I don't want to leave them in the car.

When I'm on holiday I bring my passport along, since I need to have that with me.

There might be all kinds of reasons for this, without calling someone an idiot. Of course, I would leave the jewelry at home, but then again, maybe the person was travelling around in a RV or something. Carrying things with you sounds better than leaving them in a car. Of course I would pay the rent by bank, not cash, but then again: other countries might have other habits.

The person in question was traveling and had the valuables in the car. The parking lot in question has had numerous vehicle break-ins over the years so bringing the stuff along might have been the better option, assuming of course that she remembered to put the bag in the car at the end of the day.