Ipone 4 compass

mwahppets

Are you standing still or moving around when it points in the wrong direction? Generally, you need to be moving at a rate of about 2-3 mph to get an accurate reading from the ccompass.

No, you don't. The iPhone 4 has an electronic compass. If the readings are off, move away from interference sources and wave the phone in a figure 8 pattern to recalibrate it.

Are you standing still or moving around when it points in the wrong direction? Generally, you need to be moving at a rate of about 2-3 mph to get an accurate reading from the ccompass.

No, you don't. The iPhone 4 has an electronic compass. If the readings are off, move away from interference sources and wave the phone in a figure 8 pattern to recalibrate it.

I have an 3GS, I found charging it and using the iHome IA5 alarm clock thingy has

done some weird stuff to the compass. I suspect the magnet structure in the speakers.

On-line I purchased an 30 pin male to 30 pin female cord so as to get some distance twixt

the two.

My suspicions arose when I noted that anywhere w/in 5-6 feet from the clock unit the

compass would point straight at it, I think keeping the phone just a couple inches from

it over night affected the compass. It usually took a couple hard resets simultaneously,

and some vigorous shaking, and a re-cal. to get its wits about it.

With the addition of the new cord and an "In your face" clamp on clip it's feeling much

better now.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

I have the same problem bsirrell. Sometimes it points the right way, sometimes it points south.

I like to use Geosphere on my iPhone 4 and so I just watch the distance to ensure it's decreasing to make sure I know I'm heading towards the target.

At first I was excited about using my iPhone 4 as the GPS side of caching, but sometimes it just doesn't change the distance no matter how far I move, so I've reverted back to my OLD Nokia 6110 Navigator, whish I have enhanced with a bluetooth GPS receiver.

I tried using it today and the compas just wouldnt play ball. Waving around for ages! now i am at home its absultely fine. I think i will just file my phone compass next to my chocolate teapot collection.

Assuming you're not using the compass in your car (major league interference in there), bring a relatively strong magnet with you and bring it close to the iPhone while the compass is running. That should trigger a "Calibration Needed" message and you can calibrate it properly then.

Also, if you are adding an external battery pack or using a battery boost case, that can cause interference too.

Last resort, hard reset the device and try over. Or, wait until iOS 4.2 comes out ( most likely on Friday) and try that first - loading it should cause the device to rebuild the compass calibration dataset over again,