Heartbeat COINTEST

MotoCycleBoi

After a man and a woman spend the night together... (talking about unmarried couples..), the woman has the right to ask from the man to marry her and give her marriage portion!!!

If the man doesn't want to get married... then it is the right of the woman to ask a compensation.... meaning money....!!!!!

A man has the right to take his wife to court and take his marriage portion back if it is prooved that the bride had been with an other man before marriage, so she was not "innocent - virgin" during the wedding!!!

*** So... what about after marriage?? is that ok?? :) just kiding!!!

ok.... this is my last post for today... or.... maybe I will post some other info later... :)

In 1939, the country changed its name from Siam to Thailand!

In 1945, the name was changed again from Thailand into Siam!

In 1949 once again it changed from Siam to Thailnad!

So... thailand is the only country in the world that changed its name 3 times in 10 years!!!!

Thailand numbers years in B.E. (Buddhist Era) as their primary label for most everything (ie. government, history, education and most contracts), except in banking, trading and industry/commerce, whereas they use the Western standard A.D.

That makes it 2010AD here and 2553BE there! Wow they are 543 years ahead of us!

Thailand’s pride in maintaining its national heritage is reflected through the preservation of Thai theatre and dance in the modern era. Traditional Thai dance has two forms, classical (or royal) dancing & folk dancing.

3797f3ca-0dee-40d0-8903-cf0ecf2bbba6.jpg

Royal Dance--this was originally an art performed for the royal courts of old Siam. These dances are full of precision, grace, & elegance. Movements are slow & stately, with the dancer’s torso held rather rigidly upright, rising & falling from the knees. The arms, hands, & head are the most important part of the dancer, as the positions signify many meanings. The luxurious costumes are made of silk, with gold trim, complete with tapering gilded headdresses.

36024299-ba0a-4440-8487-81d9dab7d9bf.jpg

Folk dances--these dances are lively and energetic. While the hands are still important, the dance steps are more athletic than those of the royal dances. The costumes reflect the traditional tribal dress, & the accompaniment is a more lively, rhythmic style of music.

Many Thai dances use props, such as rice baskets, masks, elongated fingernails (to accentuate the classic hand movements), coconut shells, fans, scarves, & candles.

915b1c6e-62fb-4681-b9d0-ecc80a934dbb.jpg

Dances are orchestrated by musicians playing the traditional Siamese instruments, such as the ranad, a long xylophone-like instrument, the mong (gong), tribal drums, gourd pipes & flutes, & stringed instruments made of teak or even coconut shells. The musicians are often seated in the traditional lotus position on stage, either to rear or to the side of the dancers.

c7f4448a-a18a-4ec6-b1f2-5ab7dce32950.jpg

Here are descriptions of some of the dances:

Rice Growers’ Dance--The dancers wear the rice growers’ traditional costume and the dance itself enacts the daily activities of these workers who are the backbone of the nation. The dance begins with plowing and sowing of the fields the fields, then the dancers gather together to pray to Mae Posop, the goddess who protects rice-growing. Lastly, the harvest is celebrated with songs & dancing.

Sword Dance--this dance is inspired by an ancient martial art that requires tremendous courage and strength, & excellent reflexes. The dancers balance a number of swords on different parts of their bodies while fighting off their rival.

f264b24e-f5e0-4db3-bda5-6a15aa4b7978.jpg

Candle Dance--this dance is performed in honor of the Buddha. The female dancers pay homage to the divinities that protect the eight cardinal points of the Earth, asking them to pass through the candlelight in homage to the Buddha.

Bamboo Dance--this dance demonstrates quickness of foot & flow of movement. It involves two people beating, tapping, and sliding bamboo poles on the ground while dancers step over and between the poles. This dance imitates how cunning birds dodge the bamboo traps set by rice farmers. As the dance continues, the tempo becomes faster & more forceful.

I know that I posted al ot and said that I was over for now... but I found an amazing fact that I actually didn't know!!!!

In the end of the 17th century, the most powerfull man in Thailand in the second place right after the King (king Narai), was a Greek man!!!!

His name was Konstantinos Gerakis! He bacame the minister of foreign affers and prime minister!!!

some things about him....

Kostandinos Gerakis was born in Kefalonia in 1647 and he was the son of the count Geirge Gerakis. When he was 12 years old he met Captain Howard and asked him to join him on his ship. Howard took care of Gerakis education, who he soon learned English and Portuguese. When they reached London he was hired at the British Company of the English Indies and he started traveling in the East, learning foreign languages.

Incidentally he learned a valuable secret about Siam- todays Thailand- and informed the king. In this way he went to the capital of the country, the Asian Agiountia City. There, having the kings favor, he managed to gain property, wealth, women and power. He managed to become a prime minister dealing with multiple and difficult affairs. He was interested with the promotion of the Christian beliefs and the French interests. In 1688 there was a revolution against the status and Gerakis was overset. He was tortured in order to say where his wealth is hidden, without an outcome. This led him to the executioner, when he was 41 years old.

There are a couple of books written about this charming personality too!!!

A Greek in Siam as a prime minister???? WOW!!

This is how much construction is done on Phuket's Big Buddha....

033.jpg

When the project is complete, there will in fact be two Buddha images. A smaller one, 12 metres high, made of 22 tons of brass and costing 8 million baht, was completed a while ago.

This will be dwarfed by the giant Buddha image, which will face eastward toward Chalong Bay and Phang Nga Bay beyond. When finished, the Phra Puttamingmongkol Akenakkiri Buddha – to give it its official name – will be 45 meters high and 25 meters across at the base.

It is expected to cost about 30 million baht to complete the giant image and the money will come entirely from donations.

Here is what the Big Buddha will look like when finished...

041.jpg

To give you an idea of size...one of the hair nodes are about the size of a baby blow up pool.

On 26 December 2004, a quake occurred under the sea near Aceh in north Indonesia (8.9 on the Richter scale); this produced tsunamis causing flooding and destruction in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Thailand, Seychelles, Sri Lanka and the east coast of Africa (Kenya and Somalia).

Here is a fun song for your family to learn before you go out there (especially if you have kids) and you could sing it when you see an elephant! It's an action song too, so lots of fun to be had - give your hearts a little fun workout! :laughing:

Chang Chang Chang (Chang Chang)

Nong keay hen chang rue plaw?

Chang mun thua tho mai bao

Jamook yao yao reeag wa ngooang

me keaw thai ngooang reeag wa ngang

mee hoo me tha haang yaoo!

rough translation:

Elephants Elephants Elephants (Elephants Elephants)

Have you ever seen elephants?

Elephants, are quite big in size

Long nose is called a trunk

have (like) teeth underneath trunk is called tusks

have ears have eyes, long tail

To get a better idea of how to sing this, try this link (there are others - oh I so wish I could have seen this before I went out there!)

And here is another link with a bit more information about the words of the song, for anyone wanting to learn a little Thai:

Learning some Thai from the Elephant Song

And if you really like elephants, there are plenty of places to see them in Thailand!

Edited by Fianccetto

The most valuable Thailand banknote in Baht that was ever been printed was a commemorative banknote with face value of 500,000 baht in 2000 for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the marriage of the King and the queen! It is a very expensive banknote and I think only 1000 were printed!

Thailnad has the smallest airplane carrier ship in the world! Its name is Chakri Naruebet. it was ordered in 1994 and costed 7 billion Baht! it was ready to serve in 1997! it is the smallest because it can carry only 10 airplanes!!! You can usually see it in the navy base Sattahip because it is not often out in the open sea because of the lack of money... to do that..

The Bridge over the River Kwai

This bridge has an incredible story. Nearby there is a cemetery for those who died in WWII (many who died of dysentery and other diseases while building the bridge) but it despite its terrible past, this is a peaceful area and from here there are waterfalls, forests and river trips.

There are caches nearby:

Bridge Cache I

2nqtwyg.jpg

309ldh4.jpg

Tiger Temple

There is a Buddhist temple which has become an animal sanctuary for tigers,and there is a cache there!

Tiger Temple Cache

"The temple received its first tiger cub in 1999 from nearby villagers, who thought the temple would be the best place for it. Unfortunately, the cub died shortly afterwards.

Many cubs are orphaned because adult tigers are popular prey for poachers, whereas the cubs hold very little value. It is unconfirmed what type of subspecies the tigers in the temple are, but they are believed to be mostly Indochinese Tigers.

The tigers are cared for by both the monks & by local staff and volunteers. The tigers wear leashes when being walked to a nearby quarry once a day. The tigers were originally allowed to roam freely, but they are now normally chained for safety reasons because visitor numbers have grown rapidly in the last few years.

The thing that seperates the Tiger Temple from other zoos or parks is that visitors here may sit and be photographed with the tigers, as well as stroke them, no cages & no bars!.

If the tiger shows any signs of agitation, the abbot usually intervenes to calm the animal down again. If your bravery does not extend to sitting & playing with the tigers, you can still observe the animals from distance, staff are also always on hand to guide visitors throughout the tour."

(From visit-Chaing-Mai-online.com)

34e7r86.jpg

2rm6opc.jpg

Ayuthaya

This region is known for its ancient cultures and the Chedi (temples/shrines). Ayutthaya (pop. 76,000) was the capital city of the Thai kingdom of Ayutthaya and one of the world's largest and most sophisticated cities until it was sacked by the Burmese in 1756 and further raided by Hsinbyushin of the Alaungpaya dynasty, but several temples from various ages and styles still stand. The main ones in the National Park contain the ashes of ancient Thai kings. The modern town of Ayutthaya is set among the ruins of the ancient city, and its remaining treasures are preserved in the National Museum. Ayutthaya was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1991.

TOP TIP: If you visit the park, wear shoes you wish to give away, you are supposed to leave them there! (I didn't know and I had to go and ask for mine back, to my shame!) Also, when visiting any Buddhist shrine or temple, please follow the instructions regarding photography - you are not supposed to photograph statues of Buddha.

It is easily reached as a day trip from Bangkok, or as a stop off point to visit places further north.

Cache at Ayuthaya:

This one is inside the National Park, I believe, and so there is a charge to get in (foreigners usually pay approx 4x pp whatever Thai people are charged to visit the national sites such as this.)

Red Bricks

This one has gone missing, if you plan on going to the region, maybe you could contact the cache owner and arrange to check it out and perhaps replace it?

missing nano?

Another Wat (there are many here)

Wat Ubosot

2qxyzwp.jpg

11lsln8.jpg

2v1x5w6.jpg

v4bjtf.jpg

b6qzom.jpg

One disturbing thing in this area is the number of Buddhas without heads. I was told this was because of ithe attacks at various times in history. However there have been times when shopping in Europe with my Thai friend when we would see Buddha heads in 'ethnic' type shops and it was clear from the markings on the neck that they had been cut off and smuggled out of Asia. Please never buy a buddha head! (Even though the heads are sometimes made on their own, Thai Buddhists very rarely have them as such, as they are considered incomplete and a symbol of such crimes.)

2rxgz0n.jpg

A law that was made in 1939 and still exist, says that it is illegal not to stand still when you hear the national anthem!

When I was there, we stood for the National Anthem before watching a film at the cinema. One day it played on the TV at my host's home and the whole family stood up (although there was some laughter, mainly at me ...... it took me a while to catch on what was happening!)

Edited by Fianccetto

WOW!!! :D I won one of them!!! Thank you so much!!! Congrats to the other winners too! they won an amazing coin for sure!!! :D

thank you so much for the great cointest and the coin! With the cointest I learned things I didn't know! I posted some of them! WOW!!

Thailand is a place I want to visit too! :cool:

The funny is that I was searching the thread to post about Thailand and I thought it was in page 2 but I could't find the thread! :)

I had a story about 2 women heroes from Thailand that defended their area against a real army...

Cap koon MAA ka!

Oh thank you for this cointest, I enjoyed joining in, it brought back so many happy memories, and I really hope one day I can go back to Thailand, I'd love to explore some more (before I'm an old lady!) Thanks for the coin, I like that one the best. :)

It has been interesting reading all the other tips and stories too - so I hope that Gatoulis will tell us the one about the two Thai women who fought off the army, am curious now!

I have just returned from the port! My Aunt and my Uncle just came... it id very late but... there was a strike in ships so...

anyway... I will gladly post the story of the Phuket Heroes!! :D

Sisters Chan and Muk, are widely known as Thep Krasatri and Sri Sunthon, and in 1785 they protected the Island Puket against Burman invation

Both women were born in Thalang and they were daughters of Lord Thongkham.

When he died his place was taken by Phakphuthon who was married with Chan, and he bacsme the Governor there!

In 1785, Phakphuthon died suddently and before Bangkong send a new governor, King Padung of Burma sent a fleet with an army of 3000 men from Yiwun and orded to siege of the island!

So... Chan and Muk took comand and protection of their city.

After a battle that lasted more than a month, Burma's army didn't manage to take Thalang and their suplies started ending.

for their bravery, both hero women took the tilte of Thao from King RamaI.

According to a legent, Chan and Muk ordered all women to cut their hair and start dressing like men, to hit with force the drums! with all these, the Comander of Burma's army thought that he had to deal with a huge army so he cancelled the invation!!

:) Well done Chan & Muk!!! Well done!!!

I am just wondering.... after all that... who became governor in the island??? Who was better than the 2 women???