Cemetery Caches

Tatooed Lady

So I've got some of the cemetery caches found, but in the descriptions of almost every one is something to the effect of "not on or NEAR any grave markers"...yet I've found several that were hung in the bushes that touch or grow almost on top of headstones, or where a person has to stand brushing against said stone or stand on the grave itself to retrieve...I would consider these caches CLOSE...would someone please define how close is close? It bothers me, because if my loved one were buried, I'd rather not have people (however good natured and pursuing wholesome activities like geocaching) stepping on the grave or otherwise that close, as we all know that the simple hides can produce quite a number of finds...

I've found several that were hung in the bushes that touch or grow almost on top of headstones, or where a person has to stand brushing against said stone or stand on the grave itself to retrieve.

I dont think it's ethical correct to place a cache that near a grave. There are plenty of other places to hide a cache. Let the dead people rest in peace.

I've found several that were hung in the bushes that touch or grow almost on top of headstones, or where a person has to stand brushing against said stone or stand on the grave itself to retrieve.

I dont think it's ethical correct to place a cache that near a grave. There are plenty of other places to hide a cache. Let the dead people rest in peace.

Somebody is bound to pop up and disagree. However, I'm in agreement with you. Though I'd say 'respectful' instead of 'ethical'.

There are several cemetary caches out in my area (pioneer cemeteries going back to the early 1800s, especially. lots of history) and the ones that I've found have all been away from any headstones or markers - along a path or walkway, etc. but always a respectful distance from any graves, plots or markers.

I'd be concerned about potential damage to the stones and arrangements, and that may be what the clue-giver was trying to imply ... no need to tear up the markers, as it wasn't there! That said, if the foliage is brushing the tombstone ... that's close. :) Either he hasn't seen the foliage growing (if it's in the south, you wouldn't believe how fast some of this stuff can creep!), or it was just plain wrong.

I would also think that a cemetery would fall under the private property, ask permission guidelines. Found one recently where my dad, his ancestors, and all the way back to historical stuff are buried ... it was tastefully off to the side, and I swear it's going to make me laugh every time I attend a future funeral there. I want to do one near the entrance honoring the veterans, if it doesn't fall too close to the other one. Other than that, if it wasn't MY kin, I wouldn't place it. (Personally, I think my dad would either think it was a blast or we're all crazy. Wish I could ask him. But I suspect the other family members who care for the nearby plots might be a little offended if they were near the actual dearly beloveds.)

Some of the cemetery caches I have done have been at a "respectful" distance, others have been quite near a grave site. One of the creepiest was in a small mausoleum, where the door was open, with the cache disguised as fake flowers. I could see where some people would be uncomfortable with this, but it has been there for years and is on many people's "best" list. Another was in a columbarium, where the ashes of the dead are stored. It was a register, done respectfully, where people have left various personal effects. To me, it was a profound experience, and I have brought others in my family there, apart from caching.

I'm comfortable geocaching in cemeteries. But I know a lot of people who would be uncomfortable with it. None of have been close to markers of graves that I've looked for yet. However, some people don't always get the best coordinates. And you can see how as a result people have messed around with markers etc. because they didn't know the cache is actually 40 feet away in the tree instead of around the marker or the bush by the marker.

So my series of recommendations are that individuals make sure they get real permission for these hides. Not assume there's permission to play games in the cemetery and not just ask the groundskeeper.

And then make sure that you get the absolute best coordinates possible. Don't just use a google map and cross your fingers.

After reading earlier logs, I retract my statement.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a9-9baa0b8e8bcd

Some of the logs for this cache may also serve to show why some caches may be too near a headstone. Caches do tend to migrate. If each of the cachers that picked the cache up from the ground moved it just a little bit from the last rehide, it could be quite a bit off from the original hiding spot.

If I may be allowed to jump off-topic just for a second, isn't it about time somebody post a Needs Maintenance log for that cache? (please don't reply here)

"we noticed there is no lid and only a makeshift log book."

"Only found the log book laying out in the open, wasnt sure where it went so I put it on the stone."

" Needs to be fixed before another squirrel/wind gust knocks it down."

IMO

Historical Cemeteries: OK as long as you're respectful.

"Active" Cemeteries: Completely inappropriate and immoral in every way for geocahing.

Not at all.

If you don't feel comfortable caching in a certain location, then don't, but the act of being in a cemetery doing something other than attending a service is not immoral.

The only real time that everybody should avoid a cemetery is during the service.

I have thought of putting the coordinates on my head stone. I don't feel that it is immoral at all. There is no good place to hide caches, but my grandparents graves are in my GPS to make it easier to find them. Our local cemetary is very beautiful with full views of the mountains with lots of nice landscaping and trees around. There are historical markers in ours as well, such as civil war cannons and statues from local clubs. In the old section, there are huge white colums that are unnoticed unless you enter that section, if you didn't know where they are, most would never know about them. IMHO, most people have a weird take on death, it is part of life, so it should not be avoided at all costs or made into something what it is not. Everyone will be there at some point, so why avoid the area and what it has to offer when you are on this side of the dirt with a better view.

The only real time that everybody should avoid a cemetery is during the service.

Or any sensitive time. i.e. when loved ones are visiting. Which is pretty much all the time. But if you can find a time when absolutely nobody is there then it's should be fine.

Immoral is when someone can't be respectful to someone that might be grieving for a loved one. And I'm sure you're not going to ask so you have to assume they are grieving. Forbid there be an actual service going on and you're searching through the bushes like a nut.

Not to mention most cemeteries that are still receiving new burials are privately owned. Per the GC rules you'd need permission. Cemeteries are not public parks even though they might have the same kind of things. Trees, grass, benches, etc.

Or any sensitive time. i.e. when loved ones are visiting. Which is pretty much all the time. But if you can find a time when absolutely nobody is there then it's should be fine.
Funny you should mention that. The times I've been geocaching in cemeteries (both historic and active), I don't recall there being anyone close enough that I could have disturbed them if I had wanted to. And even if there had been someone there, I'm sure I could have collected the information I needed (or found, logged, and replaced the cache) without them noticing.

Immoral is when someone can't be respectful to someone that might be grieving for a loved one.
Why do you assume that anyone geocaching in a cemetery is necessarily being disrespectful of anyone who might be there grieving? Or "searching through the bushes like a nut"?

I sort of wondered if stage 2 of the world famous/ universally hailed Necropolis here in austin was maybe a bit tasteless but I don't know... I know i didn't see it the first time for some reason!

IMO

"Active" Cemeteries: Completely inappropriate and immoral in every way for geocahing.

Not at all.

If you don't feel comfortable caching in a certain location, then don't, but the act of being in a cemetery doing something other than attending a service is not immoral.

...but it is perhaps a little tacky IMO.

Anyway, its hard to imagine anyone is getting permission to hide containers in active cemeteries and the locations themselves are pretty bleh. If the tombstone or its inscription is of note perhaps using it as a stage in a multi is slightly better, but I'm sure their family would be displeased to know it was used in a silly game (perhaps irrationally, but thats the nature of death religion and ritual)

Edited by d+n.shults

Anyway, its hard to imagine anyone is getting permission to hide containers in active cemeteries and the locations themselves are pretty bleh. If the tombstone or its inscription is of note perhaps using it as a stage in a multi is slightly better, but I'm sure their family would be displeased to know it was used in a silly game (perhaps irrationally, but thats the nature of death religion and ritual)

People can be sensitive around cemeteries, as was shown in South Carolina when legislation was introduced to prevent the invasion of geocachers. Tennessee of course has long banned any amusement or game within cemeteries, long before caching was even a glint in Dave Ulmer's eye. So permission, respect for cemetery rules, awareness of people coming to the cemetery to remember their loved ones are all important.

Why do you assume that anyone geocaching in a cemetery is necessarily being disrespectful of anyone who might be there grieving? Or "searching through the bushes like a nut"?

It's not that you might be a nut. It's that the perception is that you are a nut. :laughing:

But whatever. If y'll can't understand why this might be in poor taste then what can I do. Enjoy.

I love cemetery caches. And i did not find any which could be consider as non-ethical or something like that. I think that owners in most cases knows and respect this specific locations and cachers are doing the same. Cause both (owner and cacher) have a reason for hide/seek cache on this specific place (i personaly loves this places so i naturally seek there, on the other hand i do not like climbing caches so i do not hide/seek this type)....

(oh i forget- i was talking about european cemeteries, many hundred years old and no problem)

Spring Grove Tour Here is one of the neatest cemetery caches you could ever do. I took my family with me and got part way through it then got a bit lost. We for some reason couldn't get past the shipwreck and ran out of time. Just in the 3 stages we did and also the places we visited when we got lost were unbelievable. We are planning to head back soon to finish the cache even though we figured out the final spot so we could launch a TB dedicated to my sister. I did not take it as find but hope to soon. If you have a chance and are in the cincinnati area make sure you do this cache. It is one cemetery geocache you don't want to miss. While we were there we seen a wedding party show up to take pictures or get married we were not sure.

Here is more info about Spring Grove Cemetery

Your experiances in cemeteries is different from mine. I've had entire large cemeteries all to myself (and my family) many times.

Immoral is when someone can't be respectful to someone that might be grieving for a loved one. And I'm sure you're not going to ask so you have to assume they are grieving. Forbid there be an actual service going on and you're searching through the bushes like a nut.

I've already said: "The only real time that everybody should avoid a cemetery is during the service." If it's small cemetery and there's a crowd, I won't stop. If it's Arlington National Cemetery and I'm find a virtual cache, then I'm going to be respectful but I'm not going to leave the cemetery and wait for the crowd to thin out. Proximity is key.

People that are going to be "nuts" in cemeteries won't need geocaching to provide a reason to be a "nut". Somehow I've managed to hide and find in cemeteries without ever offending another human being. Even in the a state were apparently it's not legal to even "play games" in cemeteries.

Not to mention most cemeteries that are still receiving new burials are privately owned. Per the GC rules you'd need permission. Cemeteries are not public parks even though they might have the same kind of things. Trees, grass, benches, etc.

I don't need permission to be in a place that is open to the public. Per the guidelines you need adequate permission to place a cache and that will be different from situation to situation.

Sometimes, I even visit cemeteries that don't have caches in them! We love taking pictures and rubbings in cemeteries.

Edited by Castle Mischief

some of our best caching memories have come from cemetery caches B)

I agree. It was a cemetery cache that brought me to the grave of a young girl who died in an accident at age 17. I didn't know this girl, but I lingered over her grave and read all of the tributes to her that were left there in Ziploc bags. In my own way I mourned her passing.

It was a cemetery cache that brought me to a patch of a cemetery where a babies where interred. I stood there and thought about lives unfulfilled.

It was a cemetery cache that brought me to the grave of a Revolutionary War hero. Unknown to history, the inscription on his headstone (and my subsequent Google research) brought him back to life for me and I stood at his grave and thought about his life and silently thanked him for his heroism. I may well have been the first person to do that in the past 100 or 200 years. Who knows.

Of course there are caches that are inappropriately placed. I found myself searching the bush planted over the headstone of someone who was fairly recently deceased. I felt very uncomfortable and ended my search after a few seconds.

The only important word to you is pretty clear. "I"

"I" am not the only person on the planet that has in the past and will in the future find and place caches in or near cemeteries. Keep that in mind.

You're really trying too hard to make me into somebody I'm not.

B) It really wasn't that hard. You take most of the credit.

Project complete. My work here is done. :)

It's not that you might be a nut. It's that the perception is that you are a nut. B)

But whatever. If y'll can't understand why this might be in poor taste then what can I do. Enjoy.

I know of a cemetery in Upper Michigan that not only has jogging trails around it, but picnic tables, and a website that officially encourages walking tours, This is an active cemetery, by the way... the largest in town.

See, you seem to assume that geocachers in a cemetery don't know how to be respectful and quiet at the appropriate times. We aren't all out there whooping and hollaring and doing FTF dances, the jumping into the geomobile and burning rubber to get to the next cache, you know.

I am a cemetery enthusiast....whether it be photography, reading the stones, caching, learning about the history of an area or just enjoying the peace of the the area. Everyone jokes that no matter where I am I can sniff out a cemetery and will end up in the middle of it snapping photos like crazy. I enjoy communing with our past whether it be in books or literally written in stone. People erect markers for others to read and remember the people who came before us.

YACIDKA in the title of a cache makes me very happy because it usually means I have another reason to visit old friends (monuments I have photographed over the years) or meeting new friends I never knew were tucked away.

Just my 2 cents!

Belmont Cemetery 1881

Field of

marble stone and granite

Driving by,

we didn’t plan it

Stop the

car, it called to me

Bring some

people here to see

So we did

as were request

Gave a

cache some place to rest

Now it’s

waiting to be found

Alongside

those homeward bound

Many stones

have toppled over

Overgrown

with grass and clover

Don’t let

them all be forgot

Remember

those

with us not

Spend a

moment here in thought

Remember

those

with us not

To give you an idea of an "active" cemetary, Lakeview Cemetary in Cleveland, Oh. regularly hosts guided tours, as well as a geology tour. Lots of people from the surrounding neighborhood walk and jog through the cemetary. The local Boy and Girl Scout troops were able to camp out there until a couple of year ago on an "unused" area of land. The Wade Chapel has some of the most amazing Tiffany glass artwork, people actually get married there. President Garfield's tomb is a history lesson in its self, you can actually go down the stairs to the crypt and observe the coffins of Garfield, his wife, and urns with some of his families remains. Most of the movers and shakers of Cleveland history are buried there and their graves are not just headstones... John D. Rockefeller, Elliot Ness to name a few. The stonework is incredible. If your ever in Cleveland make it a point to visit, it is worth the time and oh yeah, there are several caches as well!

IMO

Not at all.

Oh, my. I've broken the rules. Should I delete my log? Should I be banninated? Or is it punishment enough to live with the shame of my immorality?

IMO

Not at all.

Oh, my. I've broken the rules. Should I delete my log? Should I be banninated? Or is it punishment enough to live with the shame of my immorality?

I think Keystone should put you in the virtual pillory. :)

Again...newbie here. We are hikers so...understand the whole "leave no trace" "trash in, trash out" concept.

I would be VERY respectful at a cemetary...understanding this. But, would EVERYONE? There are many out there...like hikers...who just don't get it. They throw trash...they make a mess...they ruin it for others. I know that I would NOT have a problem with real geocachers hunting at my family's gravesite...I know that they would understand the rules...they would respect...they would take care. however, I would not want others who just "do geocaching for the numbers" near this special site. The probably wouldn't care if they disrespected my family...in whatever way...as long as they got their cache (just like peakbaggers who don't care about the mess they make...so long as they get their summit).

Just my two cents.

Since virtuals are no longer allowed, the new "field puzzle" should be considered for cemetery caches.

The seeker finds the gravestone and adds or subtracts from a date on the stone. Initials should be provided so the wrong stone is not used. The final should be on the perimeter of the cemetery on the fence or in a tree not too close to another grave.

My favorite cemetery cache was a virtual at Doc Holliday's stone on the hill above Glenwood Springs, CO.

The Wade Chapel has some of the most amazing Tiffany glass artwork, people actually get married there. President Garfield's tomb is a history lesson in its self, you can actually go down the stairs to the crypt and observe the coffins of Garfield, his wife, and urns with some of his families remains. Most of the movers and shakers of Cleveland history are buried there and their graves are not just headstones... John D. Rockefeller, Elliot Ness to name a few. The stonework is incredible...

When we go geocaching, my wife makes me go out of our way to visit cemetery caches. She is still recovering from major surgery on her Achilles Tendon, and prefers these quick finds in a peaceful and interesting setting to searching for LPCs in a parking lot! We have seen some absolutely fascinating headstones and monuments, including those made of zinc! Some are carved into elaborate shapes such as tree trunks. Others have beautiful scenes etched into them; I have no idea how it is done, but it is beautiful.

Knowing a little about the history of cemetery monuments adds to the enjoyment. For example:

http://www.vintageviews.org/vv-tl/pages/Cem_Monuments.htm

We did our first few cemetery caches on Sunday. The first one was along a road, nowhere near any headstones, but the second one we actually got to walk along the rows. It wasn't too close to anyone's resting place. The third was by a memorial bench and we sat and read about the person. If it were warmer we would have taken a walk to read and imagine about the people there. We were the only ones in the entire cemetery as well, not a mourner in sight.

To me, cemeteries are a place of remembrance and celebration of life. If a cache is what brings me to one, all the better.

That being said, those who can't care enough not to tramp all over someone's headstone should keep clear. Be respectful.

Also, if you do see someone who is obviously grieving, or even if you suspect they are grieving, maybe pass that cache up until a later time/date as to not disturb them. If it were me grieving and i saw a few people walk past following a GPS only to enter the tree beside my loved one's headstone and whisper something about 'signing the log book and taking the little frog' i would be a little bit off-put. I think it's just a balance of timing and respectfulness.