Is there a bookmark list for cycle-able cache series?

Delta68

I'm looking for cache series (plural) which can be easily done by the average cyclist on a 'traditional' type of bike

ie not a mountain bike

No stiles or kissing gates and no deep mud (but a bit won't hurt)

If there is no such list I'll start one but and if anyone fancies making suggestions that would be great! :anibad:

Type of trail eg canal tow path

length

number of caches

anything else of interest

Thanks

Mark

Bolts from the Blue

Type of trail : Cycle path around Rutland Water

length : 15 Miles

number of caches : 1 (multi - 10 stages)

anything else of interest : Rutland Water is Europes largest man-made reservoir and was completed in 1977. The Sunday Express Magazine describing a day's Cycle Hire at Rutland Water as "The Best Cycling Day Out In Britain...".

Three Shires Way

Type of trail : Cycle path around Grafham Water

length : 12 Miles

number of caches : 26 including the bonus (Bonus is a few miles away - grab it on your way home!)

anything else of interest : there is a charge for parking of £2 per day on weekdays and £3 at weekends. The car park at West Perry has an excellent cafe which is well worth a visit if you're in need of sustenance.

Jon.

I'm looking for cache series (plural) which can be easily done by the average cyclist on a 'traditional' type of bike

ie not a mountain bike

If there is no such list I'll start one but and if anyone fancies making suggestions that would be great! :anibad:

length

number of caches

Thanks

Mark

Sounds like an interesting idea, although I'd suggest listed cache circuits alongside the likely terrain and distance. Instead of enforcing concepts like "average cyclist" and "regular road bike" it would seem to me to make more sense to list loops that can be cycled and just give people an idea what they are likely to encounter along the way. Otherwise loops either get missed or people have to figure if they meet someone else's definition of "average cyclist". It's also worth mentioning whether the caches are easy to find without leaving the bike unattended.

For a lot of cyclists a small kissing gate or the occasional style isn't a problem, but it's good to know when cache loops (like the Wisley Wander series, around the RHS Wisley area) have a couple of six-foot-high swing gates that I'd say it's physically impossible to get a bike through.

The Walton Wander series just inside the M25 comes to mind - you can cycle most of it on a mountain bike (I had to push for one section because the ground was so dusty I couldn't get traction, and a short section - about 200 yards or so - where cycling wasn't allowed) and if conditions were OK I imagine you could do a lot of it on a reasonably robust road bike.

The Epsom Downs has some 14 caches on it, at least some of which can be found without having to lock the bike to a tree and dive into the woods. Terrain is a little bumpy but the sections I did could mostly be done cycling on identifiable trails.

The Horton Country Park has 8 caches in it, plus a further 3 around the attached golf course. Again you could probably do most of it on a road bike, but be aware of the odd tree root across the path, and there's one or two where you'd need to chain the bike to the fence and hunt.

Rodz has also done a few caches around Richmond Park by the gates. Each cache is outside the park but usually not very far outside, and you can cycle just about anything with two wheels around the Park.

My 'Back to Basics' series were all set and are maintained by me on an ordinary road bike (albeit electrically assisted). There may be a little mud after recent rain but there are no styles or kissing gates to negotiate and what hills there are you can easily pedal up :anibad: One proviso... GC24X9R needs to be approached from the north-east (the Lilley end of the path) if you're on a bike.

I cycled round the Temple Bottom Loop (Wiltshire) yesterday, however, it practically killed me! It was 8 miles of byways and bridleways with a lot of hills and mud! It was a huge amount of fun though. In total, there were 39 caches on the loop. You need a good mountain bike for this one though.

Fab series, I really enjoyed it.

Edited by The QCs

The Etchilhampton loop near Devizes (by Stanthews) is also bikeable- 30 caches over about 5 miles of byway. I had both kids with me that day so we couldn't ride round. We liked this series as there wasn't a single stile to negotiate with the buggy. It was hilly but the paths were all fairly smooth. Fab views and a nice series.

Edited by The QCs

I am working on The Fred Whitton Bike Tour as a cache tastic bike ride. If you can get the GAGB forum to work the info is in the Days Out forum. Their forum is no where as good as this one. My opinion.

I have taken Delta68's idea of challenge cache, and have started a thread in this forum.

The Bog bears have an MTB Le Tour series in Kentmere, Cumbria. Can not think of a planned road bike series of caches in Cumbria.

But the Smileys POST HASTE series are all roadside, and appear on Fred Whitton list.

FFNick

ie not a mountain bike

If there is no such list I'll start one but and if anyone fancies making suggestions that would be great! :laughing:

length

number of caches

Thanks

Mark

Edited by flipflopnick

If there is a stile or kissing gate it is because it is footpath not a bridleway, therefore not for cyclists. A horse has great difficulty getting through a kissing gate.

One might have thought so, but I've come across paths signposted as bridlepaths (as in a clear sign reading "PUBLIC BRIDLEWAY") that had a kissing gate in it as well as a large swing gate (which was locked at the time I encountered it)

Down here in Somerset/Dorset Ernie B has put together the Uphill to Westbay series 'The Channel Link Series", this is a sixty mile route along quiet roads (mostly) with 56 caches (plus a few others that can be collected on the way) All are cache and dashes, (one or two have a fifty yard walk)

I did this on 13th August this year - well almost, I managed to buckle my wheel 2 miles from the finish :unsure: I had to do the last bit in the car. So it can be done, a couple of killer hills on the way. The only down side is it is a one way trip, and you need someone to pick you at the far end of it.

The first in the series is: Channel Link 1

Go For It.

If there is a stile or kissing gate it is because it is footpath not a bridleway, therefore not for cyclists. A horse has great difficulty getting through a kissing gate.

One might have thought so, but I've come across paths signposted as bridlepaths (as in a clear sign reading "PUBLIC BRIDLEWAY") that had a kissing gate in it as well as a large swing gate (which was locked at the time I encountered it)

On a related note there are a couple of places on the outskirts of Reading where it's tricky to lift a bike over the obstacles to continue along the trail. I assume it's fair game to cycle along it, given it's part of National Cycle Route 4.

In this particular case it's obvious the barriers are there to hinder people trying to take motorbikes along the trail, it just also makes it difficult to take a regular road bike. Throw in loaded pannier bags or a tag-along attachment for a child and it just makes it even more tricky.

As the seasons change, just a reminder to cycling cachers - and to COs with caches on mud-prone footpaths:

PLEASE don't take your bike onto footpaths. COs, add the no bikes icon to the attributes (yes, yes, I know, no sod reads them...)

That includes most of the Thames Path, although the stretch upstream from Abingdon where I have two caches is already ploughed up (hoofprints, bike and motorbike tracks visible!) It's a common assumption that it's OK to cycle on towpaths but it's not true.

This is not an anti-bike post... everything in its place... I'm very tempted to get my neglected mountain bike serviced and try a day's two-wheel caching. Good trail near Fairford (Glos) I'm told?