Geocaching bag

Har_D

I picked up a handy bag while caching on the West coast of France. Nothing special but it has lots of compartments and a shoulder strap is essential for when you need both hands free to climb those rocks. Regarding what is in it that varies but almost always I carry the following:

GPS

Compass

Digital camera / spare battery

Local area map

Pen, permanent marker, pencil, spare pencil

Micro cache with logbook & pencil

Spare plastic bags / rubber bands

Spare logbook

Small items for exchange (old coins usually)

Any TBs I may currently hold

What am I missing?

FWIW I went to the local Goodwill store and found a bag GREAT for all around caching...it's a backpack meant to haul a laptop computer, iPods, etc...so in one padded compartment I can take my netbook, and another can hold, pen/pencil, swag, TB/coins, cache repair items, etc...there's a zip pouch to carry tools for extraction, extendable mirror, etc...and a cell phone pouch if I want to use that. And don't forget the little iPod pouch with a hole for the headphone wire to poke thru so I can listen to music as I wander...

I think it cost me about $7, which I can definitely part with happily for such a find!!

I picked up a handy bag while caching on the West coast of France. Nothing special but it has lots of compartments and a shoulder strap is essential for when you need both hands free to climb those rocks. Regarding what is in it that varies but almost always I carry the following:

GPS

Compass

Digital camera / spare battery

Local area map

Pen, permanent marker, pencil, spare pencil

Micro cache with logbook & pencil

Spare plastic bags / rubber bands

Spare logbook

Small items for exchange (old coins usually)

Any TBs I may currently hold

What am I missing?

I have some more examples on my website: Guide-To-Geocaching

We use a bag that's basically an old olive drab Army map bag, it's a commercial item, not surplus, so it's a little different.

As far as what's in it:

- Dental tool and tweezers for log extraction

- "Zeckenkarte" ("tick card") for tick extraction

- Gerber multitool

- Extra pens

- Extra batteries

- Beater digital camera

- Travel bugs

- Unactivated hzoi geocoins

- Extra micro logs

- Headlamp

- UV flashlight

- Hand sanitizer

- Tissues

- ROT 13 pathtag

- pack of gum

- bottle of water

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get UTG bag. Thank you Sbell111 for finding that older thread. It has pretty much sealed the deal for me. As far as list of stuff I need to pack in, I haven't seen much anything I haven't already thought of. Let us know if the are any handy little items that you have in your pack that most other people don't think of.

I found a very nice bag at a local thrift shop. There is no brand name on it, but it's perfect for my needs, made of heavy nylon with a shoulder strap, side pockets, etc.

I carry the following:

GPS and 2 sets of spare batteries

small digital camera

sunglasses and reading glasses

small note pad and several pens

tweezers

small flashlight

a 'blaze orange' nylon 'vest' that collapses into a little packet for visibility in hunting season

rubber coated gloves

handi wipes

a bandana

hair ties

a bic lighter

a folding pocket knife

a cell phone

energy bar

swag and tradable/trackable items

a copy of my medical insurance card and emergency information

I use a shoulder bag from Mountain Equipment Co-op.

4009377t_v1_m56577569830994583.jpg

In it, I carry (in no particular order):

• Personal notebook
  • Spare reading glasses
  • Small waterproof, shockproof digital camera
  • Spare batteries for GPS & camera
  • Spare cache pencils
  • Spare Ziplock bags for repairing caches
  • Cloth rag
  • Surgical gloves (for reaching into nasty places)
  • Right leather gardening glove (for even nastier places)
  • Long surgical clamp (for places too nasty to put my gloved hand)
  • Maglight
  • Spare logbooks for repairing caches
  • Printout of map from MapSource or Google Earth showing caches for today's expedition
  • Compass
  • Cell phone (with camera, gps, cache notes, internet access, etc)
  • Garmin Oregon 450 GPS
  • Telescoping walking pole (aka Pokey Stick)
  • Water bottle
  • Waterproof nylon shell (it rains alot here)
  • Small amount of flagging tape
  • A few yards of duct tape (for repairing caches)
  • A couple of small swag items for the rare times that I trade
  • Small leatherman tool
  • Spare car key
  • Trail snack
  • Kitchen catcher garbage bag stuffed into film can (CITO)
  • A few dog poo bags
  • A few bandaids
  • Afterbite
  • Small pair binoculars

In the back of my car, I keep:

• Spare jacket
  • Spare fleece sweater
  • Rainhat
  • Dry socks & shoes
  • White hardhat and orange safety vest (for when I want to look like a city worker)
  • Laptop computer (sometimes for longer trips)
  • BFL & car charger
  • TomTom navigation GPS loaded with geocache waypoints

I just bought a sling bag from Mountain Equipment Co-Op. It has two compartments, one I keep my purse in and the larger has gloves, pens, tweezers, swag, mirror, flashlights. The strap has a holder for my cell phone. I prefer this to a backpack as I can walk with the bag on my back, and when I need anything from it, I just swivel it round to the front. I do like the look of the bag that the OP posted too! Here is a link to the bag I have

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....845524442419239 I loved the price and how light it is!

I was buying some ammo cans at a surplus store and picked up a surplus M17 gas mask bag for $2. It's a nice size for short walks. The pocket for the decon kit is just the right size for my Explorist GC. The bag holds my SLR camera nicely along with whatever TOTT that I feel I need for that day. But my kids think it looks like a purse :)

If I am walking further, I use a bookbag knapsack. I've not done any deep woods trips yet.

I use a backpack so I can carry my jacket and camera and water and all the little things you need to go cache hunting.

Same here.

My backpack has one large compartment and two small exterior ones.

The 2 on the outside carry first aid, compass and whistle.

In the big pocket I have a yellow waterproof bag in which is all my cache maintenance stuff. I have a second purple fabric bag that keeps random swag. And my GPS and Camera are either in my pocket of my shorts, or just sitting at the bottom of the bag(Yes I do have a screen protector. :) ). Works fine for me...as long as my zipper isn't having a fit! :)

I need to buy a bag for geocaching and light hiking. I am thinking about buying a UTG Multi-Functional Messenger Bag Im also trying to put together a list of necessary items to pack along. Any thoughts?

I bought an ammo bag from our local army surplus store. It has one large compartment and two smaller pockets with Velcro closers, it also has a nice long shoulder strap. I paid under nine dollars including sales tax.

I have a large Eagle Creek fany pack that I converted to shoulder use with a leftover laptop bag strap. I have a 6 LED flashlight and a neoprene case for reading glasses clipped to the exterior strap.

Inside I carry GPS, PDA, tweezers, cache repair kit, swag bag, log roller, sig items. All the compartments zip closed which for me is very important when I'm fording a stream or negotiating a rough trail and need both hands free. I travel light, as I fly regularly and need something I can toss into a carry on rollerbag. Teh rear compartment is large enough to fit a small water bottle.

I have 2 bags that I cache with, depending on the type of caching we'll be doing. If we're doing caches where we'll be going back to the car frequently and hiking only a couple miles, I'll bring a fanny pack, err, I mean a hip pack. :laughing:

Rubber gloves - For grabbing really dirty caches, or it's hanging in a poison ivy vine or something.

GPS

Cell phone - It's also used for paperless caching

AA LED flashlight - For peeking into dark areas

Headlight - If we plan on caching at night

3 or 4 gel pens - I always seem to lose them

Alcohol wipes - In case hands get dirty or I walk through PI

Mini multi tool - For getting logs out of nanos & stuff like that

Some plastic bags - For the cell phone in case it's icky weather

If we're doing an all day caching run and don't plan on stopping anywhere or we'll be hiking all day in the woods, I'll bring a small day pack with a water bladder in it. Plus, the larger size lets me bring food.

For gear, I'll include the same stuff above plus a full-size multi tool

I have a bag similar to the one you link to as well as a maxpedition bag. Great for everything I need to carry. It does change a bit with the seasons but:

matches

water

swag

pencil/pen

spare battieries

space blanket

emergency poncho

flashlight

first aid kits (2) plus splinter kit

whistle

boonie hat

gloves