Black Friday GPSr Deals

slukster

I grabbed some caching supplies. Matchboxes, tattoos, and a couple of Chrips. What am I going to pay in customs charges?
If you're really in Lawrence, KS, um... nothing? Did you order via gpscity.com or gpscity.ca ?!?!? They have offices on both sides of the parallel (Las Vegas vs. Calgary)! My guess, and it's only that, is that if you order from the wrong side of the border, they'll just manage the order from the other side.
I grabbed some caching supplies. Matchboxes, tattoos, and a couple of Chrips. What am I going to pay in customs charges?
If you're really in Lawrence, KS, um... nothing? Did you order via gpscity.com or gpscity.ca ?!?!? They have offices on both sides of the parallel (Las Vegas vs. Calgary)! My guess, and it's only that, is that if you order from the wrong side of the border, they'll just manage the order from the other side.

I hope so cuzz I used .ca via the link posted. At most it will probably only be $5 or $6.

I hope so cuzz I used .ca via the link posted. At most it will probably only be $5 or $6.

I would call their toll free number and make sure. Cross-border shipment would be a real PITA.

I check and Jeckyl is right. It was the .com site. I must have gotten the idea of .ca from the GPS units being sold with the CA maps.

Wow, this seems like a great price for the Oregon 450 $229

I started with a Vista C then last Christmas got a 60csx

i'm very tempted to order one because of the paperless aspect and large touchscreen

i already have Geocache Navigator on my Blackberry and prior to that used a Palm Pilot so i'm familiar with paperless

can anyone convince me whether i should jump on this deal or just hold off?

thanks

Ultimately it needs to be your decision. I got the Oregon when REI had them for $249, and have no regrets. I just emailed a co-worker about this deal since he was thinking of getting the REI sale and missed out. There is sizable number of 450 users on the forums here who have enjoyed their Oregons, and been happy to help with any questions, so you'll have plenty of support.

But the actual decision to spend your money lies in your hands.

Ultimately it needs to be your decision. I got the Oregon when REI had them for $249, and have no regrets. I just emailed a co-worker about this deal since he was thinking of getting the REI sale and missed out. There is sizable number of 450 users on the forums here who have enjoyed their Oregons, and been happy to help with any questions, so you'll have plenty of support.

First time posting guys......so please bare with me, working on the lingo & how to accurately to use my GPS! :laughing:

I can see that the Oregon is a good unit just from reading this thread alone, but here is my delima I don't geocache, I bought a 76CXs for "Safety" reasons as we are into Quads and going several miles back in the woods and want to be able to make it home (as we have been VERY lost before for a very long time)

my best guess around 50 Square miles of Trails here in East TN where I live, the trails are mapped out, which I purchased from a local who's been into GPS mapping for years...anyways

is the 76CXs as simple to use as the Oregon touch screen & as far as accuracy, how do they compare?

also Ive already looked, but is their a thread for a newbie like me to go read and learn more about my unit or GPS systems in general...I can follow the map I already have, but desire to make some of my own later on ..LOL...AFTER learning how to use my GPS properly :rolleyes:

Thank you in advance for any info you might be able to post or PM my way!

Glide-P.M.

Masonic Lodge #778

Lafollette, TN

Garmin Cyber Monday Accessory Sale

If you want the Topo 100k mapping product, it's on "Cyber Monday" sale from the Garmin site for $69 from 6:00PM today until tomorrow, the 29th of November.

The NuMaps Lifetime NA Download version is $69 rather than the usual $89.

A few other things you might need too...

http://www8.garmin.com/holiday/2010/bfcm/

I'm interested in having both topo and street maps on one micro SD card. Would this be possible if I buy the topo maps on an SD card? Could I add street maps to it? I think I read somewhere it could not be done.

Is it better to get maps on CD in order to manipulate them before loading to an SD card?

How much better are 24K maps than the 100K maps Garmin offers? Would I regret spending the money on the 100K?

Thanks!

Garmin Cyber Monday Accessory Sale

If you want the Topo 100k mapping product, it's on "Cyber Monday" sale from the Garmin site for $69 from 6:00PM today until tomorrow, the 29th of November.

The NuMaps Lifetime NA Download version is $69 rather than the usual $89.

A few other things you might need too...

http://www8.garmin.com/holiday/2010/bfcm/

I'm interested in having both topo and street maps on one micro SD card. Would this be possible if I buy the topo maps on an SD card? Could I add street maps to it? I think I read somewhere it could not be done.

Is it better to get maps on CD in order to manipulate them before loading to an SD card?

How much better are 24K maps than the 100K maps Garmin offers? Would I regret spending the money on the 100K?

Thanks!

Not sure about the difference between Topo 100 and 24k so someone else will have to speak to that but most of the time it's better to buy on cd/dvd instead of SD card, generally.

What gps do you have? The reason I ask is that modern units like the Oregon/Dakota/Colorado allow you to have multiple map files on the card, as long as you remember to rename them to something other than gmapsupp.img when you load the maps.

If you don't rename the file, then the next map upload you send will over-write the current which has the same name.

Compare a paper map at 1:100000 with one at 1:24000. The 1:24000 will use about 4 by 4 times more space to show the features in an area; therefore it can show smaller/less important/more detailed features and more detail in a each feature.

Depends on what detail and features you feel you need for what you wish to use it for and how large an area you feel you always need available. The more detail, the more files and memory those files will require.

You can always start with the free topos (with detail similiar to a 24k) on gpsfiledepot. If they do not have some of the 'features' Garmin has in their products, get Garmin's 24k or 100k product depending on your buget and extent of area you need.

First time posting guys......so please bare with me, working on the lingo & how to accurately to use my GPS! :(

I can see that the Oregon is a good unit just from reading this thread alone, but here is my delima I don't geocache, I bought a 76CXs for "Safety" reasons as we are into Quads and going several miles back in the woods and want to be able to make it home (as we have been VERY lost before for a very long time)

my best guess around 50 Square miles of Trails here in East TN where I live, the trails are mapped out, which I purchased from a local who's been into GPS mapping for years...anyways

is the 76CXs as simple to use as the Oregon touch screen & as far as accuracy, how do they compare?

also Ive already looked, but is their a thread for a newbie like me to go read and learn more about my unit or GPS systems in general...I can follow the map I already have, but desire to make some of my own later on ..LOL...AFTER learning how to use my GPS properly :(

Thank you in advance for any info you might be able to post or PM my way!

Glide-P.M.

Masonic Lodge #778

Lafollette, TN

WOW...thanks for the reply, what a helpful group!

Glide

I got in on the 450 model for 229...figured I could use the 70 bucks elsewhere.

Anyone have any links to some online 450 user guides...read the documentation for the model is rather stinky.

Great deal! Did you get the 450 or the 450t? I have not seen the 450t for cheaper than $299, but for the price you paid for the 450 that is worth it....

I grabbed a 450 on this deal and I got the intial confirmation email; but since then...nothing. I've been checking my status and today it changed to...BACKORDER. Anyone else experiencing this? It was a great deal, but I was a little nervous because I had never heard of GPScity. I passed on another deal because this one was so great, now I'm wondering if it was too good to be true? :laughing: Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

I grabbed a 450 on this deal and I got the intial confirmation email; but since then...nothing. I've been checking my status and today it changed to...BACKORDER. Anyone else experiencing this? It was a great deal, but I was a little nervous because I had never heard of GPScity. I passed on another deal because this one was so great, now I'm wondering if it was too good to be true? :laughing: Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

GPScity is a reputable company, you have nothing to worry about

i bought a lot of stuff from them and never had a problem

Backordered for me, as well. I wish it had any sort of estimated date, but it doesn't. I'm sure it will be fine, I'm just a bit impatient.

If anyone hears of this type of deal in stock somewhere, please let us know .. I assume we can cancel while it's on backorder.

I understand backorders happen, especially when you run a great deal and you have a lot of buyers. I'm not dinging GPScity (too much) for that. But once they realized that I was on a backorder list, I wish they would have shot me an email. It can't be that hard, they got the confirmation of my order out quickly enough. I had to check my order status to even find out I'm on backorder. It's a customer service thing. It might not seem like a big deal, but now I'm wondering if my GPS will be here by Christmas? This is the sort of thing that hurts repeat business.

My order for my Oregon 450 was just cancelled by GPScity. Something about not receiving a response to my credit card declining? I was never contacted.

Did you check back with them after it was cancelled? Let us know how good their customer service is.

By the way, there's a cryptic post in another thread about "Wait for next week" regarding Oregon 450 deals at GPSCity.

Amazon has it for $270. That's $40 more, but shipping is free. Just another option.

Ya, I tried to call them immediately after getting the email, they were closed for the weekend. I’ve replied to the email, explained that I didn’t receive any notification and that I have more than one credit card but don’t really expect to hear anything from that. I didn’t need the GPS but couldn’t pass up the great deal.

First time poster, and now I have to edit it.

I ordered the Oregon 450 during their Black Friday deal. My original version of this post was a long spiel about a failure to communicate. It had to do with not being informed that that second part of my order being also being backordered and that it would affect shipment on the backordered 450. I posted it shortly after I sent a complaint directly to GPSCity. In hindsight, I should have given them the chance to respond to that complaint before posting here.

I just receive a call from Jason @ GPSCity. All is well now. Thanks Jason.

The 450 is on sale for $249, now. Not as good as the BF deal, but better than anywhere else I've seen.

Edited by egg1966

Well score another one for GPSCity. They replied to my email first thing in the morning and told me to call with credit card info to revive my order. It seems it was my bad for putting in the incorrect expiration date. Sorry I didn’t post yesterday, got busy I guess but someone from GPSCity just emailed me from here at GC. They saw my post and wanted to make sure I was satisfied!

Edited by Cacheoholic

Well score another one for GPSCity. They replied to my email first thing in the morning and told me to call with credit card info to revive my order. It seems it was my bad for putting in the incorrect expiration date. Sorry I didn’t post yesterday, got busy I guess but someone from GPSCity just emailed me from here at GC. They saw my post and wanted to make sure I was satisfied!

Received my 450 today. Also picked up a Nuvi at a great price!

Thanks GPSCity!

Received my 450 today. Also picked up a Nuvi at a great price!

Thanks GPSCity!

Got a notice this morning that GPSCity.ca is having a "Black Friday in December" sale with the Oregon 450 on sale for $239! Not quite as good as $229, but pretty close.

http://www.gpscity.ca/cp?&s=00001&...&it=oreg450

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I received my Oregon 450 yesterday (ordered on 11/26, but then it was delayed due to backorder) from GPSCity ... everything is great. I picked up some TB's and stickers and stuff too, and got everything exactly as ordered. I'd never heard of this site before it was mentioned here, but I had no issues and would gladly order from them again.

slukster, Thanks for posting this information!

I'd like to tell you my story: Last year I had Bass Pro Rewards points that had to be used or would be lost. I have been looking at the GPS map 60csx and was waiting on it to go on sale so I used the points for other purchases. After awhile Bass Pro discontinued the 60csx so I started looking at the 62s. With all the problems reported here on the 62s I really regretted not buying the 60csx, as I logged on to see if any of the problems have been resolved I read your post on Black Friday Deals and noticed "Bass Pro Shops". Funny thing is, I had that flyer and never noticed it on there. Anyway the deal had expired so I called Bass Pro to see if I could still receive this special, it was an in store only purchase. But hey! they had the "GPS 60csx unit only" and I was happy to get descent GPS for $200.00 and my points paid for half of that!

So thank you for letting me know that "Bass Pro Shop" started selling the 60csx again. PS, The wife has it and I can't get it until Christmas! the gps that is, LOL

Black Friday is not far off for anyone looking to get a deal on a new GPSr. Here are the deals I have found so far while searching http://www.black-friday.net/:

Gander Mountain

Garmin Dakota Topo/ Case bundle - $229.99 (in store only)

Magellan Explorist GC - $149.99

Garmin Venture HC - $99.99

Bass Pro Shops

Garmin 60csx Topo/ Case Bundle - $219.99

Hopefully many more deals to come!