Black Friday GPSr Deals

slukster

Black Friday is not far off for anyone looking to get a deal on a new GPSr. Here are the deals I have found so far while searching http://www.black-friday.net/:

Gander Mountain

Garmin Dakota Topo/ Case bundle - $229.99 (in store only)

Magellan Explorist GC - $149.99

Garmin Venture HC - $99.99

Bass Pro Shops

Garmin 60csx Topo/ Case Bundle - $219.99

Hopefully many more deals to come!

Black Friday is not far off for anyone looking to get a deal on a new GPSr. Here are the deals I have found so far while searching http://www.black-friday.net/:

Gander Mountain

Garmin Dakota Topo/ Case bundle - $229.99 (in store only)

Magellan Explorist GC - $149.99

Garmin Venture HC - $99.99

Bass Pro Shops

Garmin 60csx Topo/ Case Bundle - $219.99

Hopefully many more deals to come!

The Dakota 20 at $230 is a nice deal. Too bad I'm in Canada and it's in-store only. I'll just hope they put it online too :)

Additional entry for Bass Pro Shops: Oregon 450 for $269.94 NOW (no need to wait a few weeks).

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...SSELL_THUMBNAIL

Bass Pros Shops show this item as Out of Stock. I called to ask when they expect to have it and they said "mid November" which the lady said should be "any day now". lol.

FYI - they charge $16.95 for shipping bringing the total to $286.89. That's still less than Amazon which is currently at $320.52

Bass Pros Shops show this item as Out of Stock. I called to ask when they expect to have it and they said "mid November" which the lady said should be "any day now". lol.

FYI - they charge $16.95 for shipping bringing the total to $286.89. That's still less than Amazon which is currently at $320.52

I wonder when the sale ends? Amazon is supposed to be doing Black Friday price matching, not sure how that will work though.

I just called Bass Pro Shop in Bossier City La and they did not have any Oregon 450 units in stock. They advised they should have some before Christmas. They said the sale ended on 11/24. I was able to fill out a rain check and they advised they would call when they got one in. I won't hold my breath. lol

I just called Bass Pro Shop in Bossier City La and they did not have any Oregon 450 units in stock. They advised they should have some before Christmas. They said the sale ended on 11/24. I was able to fill out a rain check and they advised they would call when they got one in. I won't hold my breath. lol
Good deal. Hang onto that rain check because Bass Pro and similar shops will be needing a good inventory of those units in time for the holiday sales. Just keep on 'em! Who knows, in a week or two, we might even find you a better deal somewhere.

Ha! Thats my store! How did you get a rain check, just go to the store? Did they give you any trouble? Wow you've been busy since 19 Oct!

Edited by LizzyHoops

Ha! Thats my store! How did you get a rain check, just go to the store? Did they give you any trouble? Wow you've been busy since 19 Oct!

Hi, I just called them and they said they would ship it when it comes it. I've been fooled before with "it will be here soon" and I hope it indeed comes soon. I've been using my Droid since my last Oregon ended up in the Hudson.

Protect your Droid with a silicon case and zagg screensaver add a lanyard and Navdroyd or some other neat free programs and you won't need the rain check anymore. :D

If I look at my Oregon now I think "nice, but compared to my droid it looks very old fashioned"

Which Droid? What about battery life? Are their Topo maps that can load to a Droid?

The Droid X is the same size as a wide 4.3" Nuvi, but much thinner.

Thanks

There is no reason to buy a 60 model unless it's one of the first models with the neat chip inside.

The rest is just an outdated older model gps for a lower price and more important, often to slow to manage today's maps fast enough.

Even though Garmin stopped using the SiRFstar III chipset after the patent violation lawsuit, many people still swear by the GPSMap 60 series and it has an extremely loyal following. For that and other reasons, Garmin charges more for the 62s compared to the Oregon 450.

Personally, though, I wouldn't get a 60cx if I'm shopping for a new unit.

There is no reason to buy a 60 model unless it's one of the first models with the neat chip inside.

The rest is just an outdated older model gps for a lower price and more important, often to slow to manage today's maps fast enough.

Even though Garmin stopped using the SiRFstar III chipset after the patent violation lawsuit, many people still swear by the GPSMap 60 series and it has an extremely loyal following. For that and other reasons, Garmin charges more for the 62s compared to the Oregon 450.

Personally, though, I wouldn't get a 60cx if I'm shopping for a new unit.

I also wouldn't buy a 60/76Cx or CSx now, but for anyone who's just getting into the game on a budget, it is a pretty good place to start.

lookin through some tech sites this am i came across this

http://www.engadget.com/black-friday/2010/

took me to this where i grabbed a spreadsheet and am scoping it out now

http://www.dealsvista.com/deal/55152

not far enough into it to say much but there might be something in there as bass pro and cabela's are both listed

Monty

Quick summary for handhelds, not including some good Venture deals:

IF a person wants the "T" version of the 450, the $329 deal at Cabela's on the 450T is a really decent deal!

Gander Mountain still shows the Dakota 20 for $229.

Sports Authority has the Dakota 10 for $149. How's that for a touchscreen deal!?

I would not get the 60 series for caching, but I may consider it for hiking.

This is my first post as I am new to this so please be kind, I am trying to decide on my first device and had just about decided to go with the gpsmap 60csx until I read some of these discussions. Now I am confused since the 60csx is highly rated on the gps reviews section so considering the price range of the 60csx what would be a better option also consider I have never even seen one of these much less used one so I am starting from scratch

I would not get the 60 series for caching, but I may consider it for hiking.

This is my first post as I am new to this so please be kind, I am trying to decide on my first device and had just about decided to go with the gpsmap 60csx until I read some of these discussions. Now I am confused since the 60csx is highly rated on the gps reviews section so considering the price range of the 60csx what would be a better option also consider I have never even seen one of these much less used one so I am starting from scratch

Don't let bcblues detour you. I was perplexed by his statement myself. A 60CSx is a GREAT unit for geocaching. Some say it has set the standard. I will say it is dated when it comes to some of the "bells and whistles" but you still can't go wrong with purchasing one for geocaching.

Don't let bcblues detour you. I was perplexed by his statement myself. A 60CSx is a GREAT unit for geocaching. Some say it has set the standard. I will say it is dated when it comes to some of the "bells and whistles" but you still can't go wrong with purchasing one for geocaching.

Biggest disadvantage of GPSMap 60 for geocaching : no paperless capability.

The GPS Store has the Garmin Dakota 20 for $199.95, free shipping today.

So can the Dakota 20 do paperless caching? it is described as entry level by Garmin, how accurate is it? I am doing some research to learn more about

The concept of "entry level" has rather creeped a bit over the years. Actually, the Dakota 10 might be considered entry level for touchscreen models. The 20 is decidedly NOT entry level, and yes, it does paperless as well as any of the new Garmin models. Same features in that regard. Compared to a 450, the major differences are a somewhat smaller screen, 2000 cache capacity instead of 5000, and lack of NMEA realtime output for computer mapping. The user interface is indistinguishable.

how bout the Garmin Etrex Venture HC Bundle

for $119 at Dick's. Is that ok for new geocacher

The venture hc will work just fine but you will be much happier with a paperless Dakota 20. It is well worth the $80 more if the deal is still going. http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Dakota-2...S-P2156C78.aspx Can't tell you anything about the vendor. You can fill that thing up with great free maps and full descriptions of caches. Contact me for advice on maps. Paperless really saves you lots of time and effort.

The venture hc will work just fine but you will be much happier with a paperless Dakota 20. It is well worth the $80 more if the deal is still going.

Don't forget that you need a premium membership to get the most out of paperless caching. There is a 30 day free trial that comes with the Dakota and Oregons (not sure about the others).

Huge deal on Dakota 20 at Gpscity.ca too $179.95!!

-- I couldn't resist. I just bought it. For the 20 and a 4GB microSD card (+ shipping & tax) it came to $214 bones! What a smokin' deal!!! :cool: I'll be caching paperless for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::cool::lol:

Edited by geojibby

Huge deal on Dakota 20 at Gpscity.ca too $179.95!!

-- I couldn't resist. I just bought it. For the 20 and a 4GB microSD card (+ shipping & tax) it came to $214 bones! What a smokin' deal!!! :cool: I'll be caching paperless for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::cool::lol:

Wow units I thought were out of my price range are now affordable, is a Dakota 20 with a Garmin topo USA 100K DVD and a carrying case for $229.99 at Gander Mtn a better deal than the Oregon 450 for $229.95

at Gps City?

Go for the Dakota 20 deal! People will think you are "over compensating" if you buy the Oregon. :rolleyes:

Wow units I thought were out of my price range are now affordable, is a Dakota 20 with a Garmin topo USA 100K DVD and a carrying case for $229.99 at Gander Mtn a better deal than the Oregon 450 for $229.95

at Gps City?

Garmin Oregon 450 for only $229 at GPSCity.com - click the picture below to go there. GPSCity.ca also has the same offer, for the same price in Canada.

oreg450.jpg

What a deal!

Thanks to Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide for the heads up on the Oregon 450 deal at GPSCity. I now have one on order. That is an unbelievable price. I've been looking for a Oregon 450 for some time. Thanks again to Dr jeckyl and Mr Hide for taking the time to post the deal on Groundspeak.

I'm not sure if I love you guys or hate you (well, my budget anyway) ... but I'm excited to say I just ordered an Oregon 450 on gpscity.com

Also, they have some geocaching supplies and coupon code for 10% of off them (doesn't work on the GPS, though) while you're there: GUBF10GEO

Thanks for sharing the great deal!