A more personal Caching Karma

I like to return to others the pleasure and joy that gives me every new cache, so I always like to acchieve the good karma geocaching.

I noticed that Caching Karma is commonly reffered as the ratio of the total number of finds of your caches divided by the number of your finds.

Well, each one is only half responsible for this equation... and in some cases, the less the caches you find, would give you a better karma... strange enough!?

So I propose another way to calculate the karma... a more personal one... more dependent from each one caching behaviour.

It would be the ratio of your finds divided by the total of your owned caches.

So, by example... a geocacher with 20 owned caches (founded 3000 times) and 1500 finds, would have a Caching Karma of 2... and a Personal Caching Karma of 75.

Lets say that he went to a sabatic period without caching for some time... the personal finds will remain the same (1500) but everybody continues to search for their caches until the total of finds is 5000.

He would have a Caching Karma of 3.3 (without any caching activity, remember?), but the Personal Caching Karma would remain the same (reflecting that inactivity).

It seems to me a more wise way to calculate each ones caching karma.

What do you think?

Edited by ruidealmeida

This is simply appalling.

It is massively irresponsible to pressure geocachers into maintaining any kind of hide/find ratio, and it is downright nasty to imply that people who find without hiding are somehow doing something wrong.

Cache owners should hide as many caches as they can responsibly maintain, and no more. Placing caches is not a requirement for finding them.

I couldn't even make any sense out of this at all... but my brain is tired after a lot of hiking and caching today. Anyhoo... I don't like to make any judgments on a person's hides v finds numbers, or any judgement on their find numbers in general.

The kind of good karma I like to get while caching involves things like CITO...

I noticed that Caching Karma is commonly reffered as the ratio of the total number of finds of your caches divided by the number of your finds.

You noticed wrong. Caching "karma" has nothing to do with a find/hide ratio (In fact there are certain people who I wish would hide fewer caches).

Did you hike 5 miles for a maint run on your multi cache because someone mentioned a stage was wet? That is good caching karma.

Did you set up a fun event? That is good caching karma.

Did you negotiate with a land manager to allow geocaching in a local park? That is good caching karma.

Did you take out a newbie cacher and show him how to use his GPS? That is good caching karma.

Did you send an ammo box to a cacher who wanted one, but couldn't find one? That is good caching karma.

Did you mail an old GPS to a college student who wanted to get into geocaching but couldn't afford a GPS? That is good caching karma.

Did you help a newbie who had questions in these (or your local) forums? That is good caching karma.

Did you drive a fellow cacher who had no car so he could join a group hunt? That is good caching karma.

Did you fix a crack in someone's cache container with duct tape? That is good caching karma.

Did you loan your canoe to a local cacher who wanted to do some island cache? That is good caching karma.

Hides? For too many people these days it's become a matter of numbers. The way many find hounds think having a large number of finds bring them some sort of status, many hiders also equate numbers with status.

Who has the better geocaching karma? Someone who tosses out 200 film canisters in Burger Kings, Home Depot parking lots and non descript guardrails, or someone who has 20 hides in quality containers in interesting locations?