Ugh... frustrated about bugs in my first cache

Luffliffloaf

Hi. I recently put out my first cache What are you "staring" at?. I worked really hard on it to make is nice for everybody. Anyway, someone placed the Nido Queen bug in it and then someone else took it soon after. But the person who took it never logged it. So now the webpage shows the bug as still being in the cache even though it isn't.

I don't want to disappoint anyone coming to my cache who may be coming to get the bug only to get there and not be able to get it. I also noticed a recent visitor said that "bug's not there etc..." which is frustrating.

I went to the cache and read the log. The person who took the bug signed the log book with a name that isn't registered here. I think I figured out who the person is though and emailed him. He did not reply. It has been days.

What should I do? As stated, this is my first cache and I want it to go smoothly.

Thanks,

Loomis

I've complained about this before. As the cache owner you really have no recourse.

My suggestion in other threads was that you as the cache owner could click a link and "send the bug home." There would of course have to be a confirmation and appropriate wording to the effect of...

"I have checked on my cache box and verified that this bug is no longer in the box. The person that removed the bug from the cache apparently hasn't logged the bug yet so it is being returned to your inventory as the bug owner. If and when the bug is logged, it will be removed from your inventory without any additional mileage."

The bug gets zapped from your cache, then put in the inventory of the bug's owner. If Joe Cacher then finds the bug and grabs it, it doesn't add any extra mileage since the system just thinks that the bug went from person to person.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Okay, lets say that bug is MIA.

The owner "reclaims" the bug by entering the bug number, and picking up the bug.

Now, if the MIA bug shows itself again, and someone enters the bug's number when they drop it in a cache - what will that look like in the bug log?

Because the bug would be "last seen in the hands of its owner" but then when dropped in a cache, what would it say? Would it say that the owner dropped it there? Or would it say that the person who dropped it got it from the owner, before dropping it in the cache?

A link to a bug log that has had this happen would be nice... anyone got one? icon_smile.gif

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

Okay, lets say that bug is MIA.

The owner "reclaims" the bug by entering the bug number, and picking up the bug.

Now, if the MIA bug shows itself again, and someone enters the bug's number when they drop it in a cache - what will that look like in the bug log?

Because the bug would be "last seen in the hands of its owner" but then when dropped in a cache, what would it say? Would it say that the owner dropped it there? Or would it say that the person who dropped it got it from the owner, before dropping it in the cache?

A link to a bug log that has had this happen would be nice... anyone got one? icon_smile.gif

If the person logged their find on the web page you can contact them via E-mail.

I've had a few like that that after say about 3 week or so I'd e-mail the user and just ask them politely if they still had the bug. I don't even ask them to hurry up or place it but I just need to verify it isn't MIA.

Hopefully if you tell the person they need to log it they may do it. They may be new and just not know how. I had that happen to one of my bugs that somebody picked up and dropped in another cache that I thought was MIA and someone else just found it recently after about a month.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Usually what happens is someone logs it when they pick it up from a cache it was never officially dropped in.

quote:

As you wish. It would have been nice if the person who found it in the Jimmy Nash cache had logged it into and then back out of that cache after grabbing it from us, because we didn't get the mileage for that leg of its journey, but since we're not going for mileage it wasn't a big deal anyway.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Usually what happens is someone logs it when they pick it up from a cache it was never officially dropped in.

quote:

As you wish. It would have been nice if the person who found it in the Jimmy Nash cache had logged it into and then back out of that cache after grabbing it from us, because we didn't get the mileage for that leg of its journey, but since we're not going for mileage it wasn't a big deal anyway.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=5678

Ahh - so you grabbed it, apparently giving it zero miles added, and when Show Me the Cache grabbed it from a cache - again, no miles were added until he dropped it in another cache... and that cache was apparently 113 miles south of King Arthur's cache.

Is that about right?

Looks like no harm is done when an owner "grabs" a bug that is missing, since it can be logged once found again - getting everything fairly back on track.