Missing Bug

Mo&Lance

We launched our first bug, Ray, over Thanksgiving weekend in our own cache - "Gear Cache". We havne't been out to check on the cache, but a recent visitor reported that Ray was no longer there. I have e-mailed several other cachers and none report to having seen it when they there.

It is so annoying that people just can't get it. My guess is that it's someone who finds out cache locations from the site and then doesn't follow through and log their finds. We've seen that on another of our caches that someone else had a bug that went MIA. I looked back and found the written log but they never went to the web site.

If anyone sees RAY, please let us know!!

http://img.Groundspeak.com/track/539_200.jpg

Thanks!

I was on vacation in another state and thought it would be fun to "Race' two bugs back home. So I bought two, "dressed them up" and dropped them several thousand miles from home...only to have them both vanish within 50 miles of were I left them .... Ugh! I guess I may have embellished them too well?

Like you, I first chased after them with e-mails, eventually found one and got it logged in but now, again, they are both gone.

I figure I must not make them too interesting, but then again, not too plain.... Jusssst right I guess. Ugh - I just wish people would either be interested enough to pass along the TB's or not interested enough to pick them up in the first place.

Keep your chin up, buy more bugs and see where they go.

Good Luck in the future.

Northern Trekker

Thanks for the support Northern Trekker.

I'm hoping that someone picked it up while on vacation in FL and just hasn't gotten around to logging it with the holiday and all.

Now my question is how long do I wait to remove my bug?

I tried adding a comment to it but the only option seemed to be if I found it.

If you want it off the cache page, you could always just log it into your hands. That way whenever the next person does get around to logging it they will just "grab" if from you.

Being missing since Thanksgiving isn't all that long in bug years icon_frown.gif

And you should be able to post a not to the bugs pages, not just "found it". Of course you'll need the serial for that, You do have it don't you icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mo&Lance:

Thanks for the support Northern Trekker.

I'm hoping that someone picked it up while on vacation in FL and just hasn't gotten around to logging it with the holiday and all.

Now my question is how long do I wait to remove my bug?

I tried adding a comment to it but the only option seemed to be if I found it.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

This is a suggestion for future bugs. Maybe some people that pick up bugs are first timers and never hunt another cache again. If so they may not know what a bug is when they take it and don't bother to check it out. Information may be the key. Here is a link to a site to print up a sheet to go with your bugs that will inform and state their goal. Hope it helps.

http://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/asp/travelbugsheet1.asp

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

quote:
I looked back and found the written log but they never went to the web site.

We dropped a TB the day after Thanksgiving and the same thing occurred. The cache owner said they logged the grab but no follow-up on Groundspeak. Our bugs all have a Bug Sheet and the goal laminated and attached with the TB Tag. These folks know what it is and how to treat it.

We enjoy dropping bugs too much and will keep doing it no matter what.

quote:
Originally posted by Judy&Dick:

We dropped a TB the day after Thanksgiving and the same thing occurred. The cache owner said they logged the grab but no follow-up on Groundspeak.

FYI- Even if they haven't logged anything, you still may be able to contact them. If they have an account, you may be able to send a blind email to them threw this site.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg