If I find a TB

ayrbrain

I am still new to geocaching, my question is........... if I find a TB in a cache, I know I don't need to take it, but if I did take it do I put it into ANY cache ? I know it has to be moved a few miles away at least preferably another town/country and quick quickly.

i am so excited when I do find a cache :P and it wasn;t until i was home to log my find that i noticed one of the caches had a TB in, there were a lot of items in the box and I missed the TB but I wouldn't have taken the TB as i wouldn't be able to move it on at this point. Just wondered how it works.

many thanks

if I did take it do I put it into ANY cache ?
Travelers (Geocoins and Travel bugs) love to be on the move. If you know you'll be able to place it in another cache soon, it's fine to “Retrieve” it. Some Travelers have missions, so try to help the mission, if there's such info included with the item.

If I'm placing a Traveler into a container, I first check the cache description to see if there are other Travelers listed there which are now missing from the container, and I check the contents when I arrive to see if it looks picked-through (or well-muggled). I try to find containers that are safe as possible for these things. But you don't have to do all that research just to move it along.

Edited by kunarion
I know it has to be moved a few miles away at least preferably another town/country and quick quickly.

Any movement is better than none, even it's just .10 mile. Take pictures, tell stories, have fun.

I went to a cache that was supposed to have a TB, but it is not there. What's the procedure here? No one has logged that they grabbed it.

I went to a cache that was supposed to have a TB, but it is not there. What's the procedure here? No one has logged that they grabbed it.

Note that in your Found log -- that you "didn't see a TB in here". But if it's a container full of stuff, there's a chance that it might still be there. Some Travel Bugs are basically just a little metal tag.

If you did a pretty thorough inspection, and there's definitely no TB there, it's nice to contact the TB owner, and let them know. Bear in mind that someone may have grabbed the TB and just hasn't gotten around to logging it yet -- or they didn't do the proper log, and it may turn up in another cache later.

I know it has to be moved a few miles away at least preferably another town/country and quick quickly.

Any movement is better than none, even it's just .10 mile. Take pictures, tell stories, have fun.

Note in your log that it wasn't there. It's possible someone took it recently and just didn't get around to logging it and it's possible it's MIA. You could also send the TB owner an email as a heads up so he can mark it missing if he thinks it warrants it.

:sad: Thank you all for the input. I will try to remember next time there is lot in the box that there might be a TB in somewhere, as i don't always remember when I put the co-ords into my gps to make a note. i suppose if it is moved a little way then the next person to find it might be travelling somewhere and take i,t errrrrr if you follow that :anibad: but I know what i mean :grin:

many thanks everyone, will keep an eye out for a TB.

Finding TBs can be an exercise in futility.

Many times, the TBs are gone but the owner just doesn't have the heart to list it as missing. I know.

Other times, the TB owner is no longer active anyway.

You could send a note to the cache owner too. They have the ability to remove a TB from their cache. However, many cache owners won't do this even if contacted. In addition, many caches are alive and well months or years after their owners are no longer active.

Often you will find an orphaned TB in an orphaned cache.

If you would like to find a TB in the future, there are three methods.

1) Luck

2) Run a PQ for TBs, or just look for caches that list TBs on their pages. BE AWARE THAT MANY OF THESE WILL NOT HAVE A TB IN THEM! Now, look at the cache page for two dates: The date that the TB was dropped in the cache, and the date of the last cache log. If they are the SAME, then there is a reasonable CHANCE that it is still in the cache. If they are different the TB is probably gone, because most cachers pick up a TB when they find one ... usually. Obviously, if the TB was dropped 6 weeks ago and the cache has subsequently been found 6 times, the TB is gone.

3) TB hotel: These mega-caches are meant as TB post offices and can contain a dozen or more TBs. However, I've been to several that had NO tbs!

One last word of advice.

If the cache shows several TBs which are missing, then you might not want to DROP a TB in it. It might be subject to periodic raids by muggles or worse.

Note that in your Found log -- that you "didn't see a TB in here". But if it's a container full of stuff, there's a chance that it might still be there. Some Travel Bugs are basically just a little metal tag.

If you did a pretty thorough inspection, and there's definitely no TB there, it's nice to contact the TB owner, and let them know. Bear in mind that someone may have grabbed the TB and just hasn't gotten around to logging it yet -- or they didn't do the proper log, and it may turn up in another cache later.

Thanks for the reply! I actually did note that in my found log, but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I need to do. I guess I can also contact the TB owner as others have also suggested.

We did find a TB the other day, which is cool!

Never give up hope ... I found a travel something the other day that wasn't supposed to be in the cache, and turns out it had gone missing some time before ... someone picked it up in one state without logging it, others noted on that cache's description that it was apparently gone, and then months later it turns up in a cache in my area, also not logged as dropped. Presumably someone who caches while travelling and just didn't make a note about that one ... maybe lost in the bottom of their suitcase or something. Anyway, it's back in circulation now!

Found a lost letterbox that way too ... I didn't realize it had been marked inactive, and we happened to find it ... contacted the owner and logged the find on its website ... so hopefully that one will be popular again.

You just never know.

I think too ... that "Owner hasn't set collectible preference" might confuse folks ... they might just keep it and not realize they should tag it that way or something. I've been soooo tempted to keep some of the neat stuff I've found ... but so far we keep moving it along... :laughing:

If the cache shows several TBs which are missing, then you might not want to DROP a TB in it. It might be subject to periodic raids by muggles or worse.

I wonder how true this is, because I visited a TB hotel in Central Park of NYC which should have had 8 or 9 trackables, but it only had 1. I left a TB there, and a couple days later it got moved to another cache in the city, and then on to Austria.

I suspect that this particular cache gets a lot of visitors due to its location, and a certain percentage of them do not follow TB rules, but that does not mean this cache has a problem. It may be better to leave something there and have it be found in a few days, than to leave it in a cache that nobody will find for a few months.

Well, when you own a TB, you pay your money and you take your chances.

I wonder how true this is, because I visited a TB hotel in Central Park of NYC which should have had 8 or 9 trackables, but it only had 1. I left a TB there, and a couple days later it got moved to another cache in the city, and then on to Austria.

I look at more than just missing Bugs. Cache location (poorly hidded at a teen hangout = bad). Contains only extremely low-quality Swag (such as candy wrappers or expired pizza coupons). Things like that.

But I wouldn't place a TB at the "TB Hotel" you mentioned, without doing a little research on those TBs first (that's just me, I'm not saying you have to). If it's popular with cachers that can't manage TBs, that's also less than optimal.

I look at more than just missing Bugs. Cache location (poorly hidded at a teen hangout = bad). Contains only extremely low-quality Swag (such as candy wrappers or expired pizza coupons). Things like that.

But I wouldn't place a TB at the "TB Hotel" you mentioned, without doing a little research on those TBs first (that's just me, I'm not saying you have to). If it's popular with cachers that can't manage TBs, that's also less than optimal.

Well, I did use the word MIGHT. But when a cache shows multiple TBs and they are all gone, it makes you wonder. And, if the cache IS subject to thieves or muggles, I wouldn't expect them to attack daily. I sure feel lousy when I drop a TB and that is the last time it is ever seen.