geocaching with kids

sag314

Hubby and I have been geocaching for about a year - really love it....

We would like to take our grandkids geocaching with us they are 4 and 6, one boy one girl

the are a lot of geocaches in the area where they live so that is not a problem. I am looking for advice on how to make it fun and interesting for them.

Is there a way I can setup a pocket query for caches that would be easier for them to find and be fun?

thanks

Susan

You can set up a pq for larger containers or focus your day on caches in places they like to go. There is a kid ftiendly attribute but that may or may not mean thst much. If they like trading swag then look at caches that are large enough, bring swag to trade, and you may want to check past logs to see if there is any indication that the cache is not depleted. My daughter lost interest in trading due to depletion but she is always up for a cache that has a bit of adventure.

I have 3 kids, 15, 10, and 9. I would start with a couple of regulars and take some swag to trade. However I do not subscribe to the theory that you should completely cater to the kids. I take mine to every kind of cache (except ones that would be too dangerous). I feel that they need to learn that caching isn't all ammo cans with toys. Get them into the hunt, let them find it. Many times we will not make the grab if we find it before them and give them as chance. I heard someone on the Podcacher show talk about Hucklebuck caching. When they find it they walk off and call Hucklebuck, then the others keep hunting. He said his 4 year old loves it.

Make it an adventure and plan on stopping at every playground you come across!

Hubby and I have been geocaching for about a year - really love it....

We would like to take our grandkids geocaching with us they are 4 and 6, one boy one girl

the are a lot of geocaches in the area where they live so that is not a problem. I am looking for advice on how to make it fun and interesting for them.

Is there a way I can setup a pocket query for caches that would be easier for them to find and be fun?

thanks

Susan

When I took my nieces and nephew for the first time I made them each a geocaching kit. A pencil box filled with trade items, a "logbook" (a small note book with stickers they could put in for each cache they found) and a fun colored pen. For our first few caches I choose ones I had previously visited, and went ahead of time to pad the cache with swag. They loved it. I just shouted directions and gave instructions like..."I think you are getting closer...or "I don't think it would be over there" untill they found it. It was a big hit, which ensured they got the concept and saw how fun it could be before letting them loose on the real world of geocaching were you might find it or not, and it might have swag in it or not.

Here is the log...with pictures: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...96-016a0b3a8e43

Swag filled caches are never a bad place to start[what kid doesn't love treasure hunting], but I have found that introducing them to very unusual caches tends to really catch the attention of children. Personal favorites to introduce children to include a micro that was hidden inside of an old 'tree ear' which had been reattached to a fallen tree, caches designed specifically for small children[one example being "Box Turtle Cache"[GC2AXCY] a cache who's container had a cute foam box turtle glued to the top of the box]. My personal favorite is to find a cache in an area the children frequent often[that they know] and have them find the cache in that area, they love to discover that this 'treasure chest'/secret had been there every time they had yet they had never seen it before. Also since children tend to prefer[and show more interest] things they are better at, short[30 min or less] practice cache hunts can help grab there attention as well as strengthen their caching eyes[so that they are less likely to lose interest on a cache which is harder than you expected]. when i say practice cache hunt, I basicly mean an 'Easter egg hunt' using common cache containers and hide methods. this can be done just about anywhere: lawn, playground, park pavilion, local wooded areas, etc.... I'd personally avoid introducing nanos to a 4year old, but most 6 year olds are more than ready, and often become much better at finding them than adults.

now back to swag, if you want to go the swag as an incentive route, i'd recommend having them decide on a signature item[item type] to take for when they trade. For example one little girl I introduced to caching absolutely loved flowers, so every time we went caching she would take a few fake flowers with her to trade. these flowers were her signature at each cache she went to, and she was able to share her love[flowers] with everyone else.

AND MOST IMMPORTANTLY...PLAN YOUR CACHING ADVENTURE AHEAD OF TIME... downtime is the quickest way to make them lose interest!

As the Camp Director of a Geocaching summer camp, I hope this helps. No child left indoors

Some ideas:

You might scout out the caches ahead of time to make sure you can find them. Clean them up and add nice swag, if desired, a day or two before. Then you KNOW they'll find something nice.

Of course, let them "find" the cache.

Give each $5 and go to the dollar store, or Target, or Michael's, etc. Let them pick out what they would like to leave as swag. This could be an eye opener for you too.

Have each record some notes in the field, or even take a picture of themselves at the cache, etc. Then, have them help you enter the logs at home.

Remember, you may be working with short attention spans. Be ready to call it quits for the day.

You might consider adding letterboxing to your route, as well. No swag, but collecting the cool stamps is just as fun for kids, and picking out one of your own (or learning to carve them) is pretty cool too.

(I usually take both my kids, nearly 9 and nearly 6, on my hunts ... they got burned out after too many micros with DNFs, but they love the finds ... they prefer the swaps or the stamps, but even a clever micro is exciting when you are the one who finds it. And they've got good eyes!)

Another thought ... plan ahead and see which ones have travel bugs and such ... some of those are just AWESOME, and the fun of looking it up online, finding out its mission and where it's been, and then picking the just-right place to set it loose again ... that's an adventure in itself. They'll no doubt be begging to set their own travellers loose soon after!