The Newest World Record

legoboyjj

There are folks who are assisting with maintenance and integrity of this trail.

How can integrity be maintained when it didn't exist to begin with?

I believe you were commenting on the finding, logging, and cache transporting aspects.

Whereas my comments, relative to integrity, were with respect to the ensuring the caches were present. Thus keeping the trail intact.

Edited by humboldt flier
If you pick up cache #1 and drop a new one in its place, then place cache #1 at the site of cache #2, taking cache #2 to the site of cache #3 and .....<snipped for brevety>....and carry cache #999 to the site of cache #1000 (or whatever the final cache is), what happens to cache container #1000?

logically, one of two things:

1) you go back to cache #1 and swap it with the container that you put there, assuming that it's still there. if it isn't, you have to start doing the cache run again until you find you find your container (it's gotta be there somewhere). side effect is that you can claim additional finds on the caches you revisit :laughing:

2) you sell it as trophy on ebay for big bucks.

For me my RECORD RUN was more of a Bucket List Check Off.

MY RECORD, BY THE WAY STILL STANDS >>>> The longest time to complete the trail <<<<

I went to experience something that was in my estimation, intriguing.

I went with friends ... we shared a unique experience in a rather interesting place and met some veeeeeery interesting folks shared some spectacular hospitality with the locals at The Lil A Le Inn and on a return visit met some great folks at The Windmill Ridge.

I am old and slow ... the end of my personal trail is in sight ...

I spent some wonderful times along a a trail that I has assumed a special place in my heart and I spent that time with wonderful friends and enjoyed the hospitality of people who call the Rachel Region their home.

MY RECORD STILL STANDS ** The longest time to complete the trail **.

No offense, big guy, but we're not talking about you here. :laughing:

That is understood:

However, as intimated a number of posts back by a moderator, comments about various finding and logging techniques probably belong elsewhere. Certainly in a trail related section.

Goes back to a rather tawdry adage:

It is legal until you are caught ... and in this context until such times as there are pointed and specific should, should nots, shall and shall nots ... things will happen and be done which will cause major hide chapping.

My hide indeed is chapped over some of what I have seen along various trails.

From the cache maintenance guidelines:

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

How is the owner supposed to verify that an online log is not bogus if he can't go to the cache, open the container, and examine the physical log? If I log cache #5 online, and the cache owner suspects I wasn't really there, is he going to go examine the logs in all of the containers on the trail to see if I signed one of them?

If cachers are moving the containers, with the owners approval, then this group of caches cannot meet this section of the guidelines.

NA.

This is the crux of the differences of opinion here. Some people want to interpret the guideline to delete bogus logs as meaning that cache owners must check the log books and delete online logs when the log book in the cache is not signed. Or at least that the cache owner must have the ability to check log books if they so desire. Of course, if cachers are swapping containers and logs, the cache owner's ability to check the logs is compromised. But in my examples of doing maintainance, unless I take the old soggy pulp from the wet cache and get it to the cache owner who may be able to dry it out then carefully unfold the remains of the log and read some of the names on it, the owner doesn't have the ability to check the logs as well.

As I have discussed before, there are often good reasons that a finder is unable to sign the log. I don't believe the guidelines are saying that cache owners must (or even should) delete online finds when someone didn't sign a log because it was soaking wet or because they lost their pen while caching. In addition, log books (and caches) sometimes disappear or the log becomes unreadable. I don't believe anyone is advocating that you delete logs because the log book went missing or disintegrated before you had a chance to check the logs. The determination of a bogus log can't be based on the signature in the log book alone.

The game should rely on the honor system. If someone says they found a cache they should get the benefit of the doubt. If someone writes a bot that is logging finds online for caches that were never hunted, then cache owners should delete these logs. It's fairly easy to detect these logs.

If someone were to find every other cache on the ET trail but claim a find on all the caches, it may be harder to detect. Certainly with shifting you may not be able to tell which were the caches they found and which they didn't. The cache owner may simply be left with the ablity to indicate that they suspect some logs are bogus but can't determine which ones. However, nobody had been accused of playing this game so far. The claims that have been made appear to be from people who found all the caches they claim to find. They found a cache at each location and left a container with a signature at each location so that there is some evidence for others to see they have found the cache. If someone else replaces one of these caches with a new cache and logsheet that doesn't have the signature, it doesn't lessen their find. As far as invalidating proof of a find, it is no different that if someone replaced a logsheet or cache because the cache needed maintainance or if a bunch of conainers went missing because the county graded a section of the road. It is up to the cache owner to decide if the find appears to be bogus. The cache owner of a power trail is not likely going to spend the time to check the log books on 1000 caches. They may rely on other things to decide if the finds are legitimate.

The cache owner of a power trail is not likely going to spend the time to check the log books on 1000 caches. They may rely on other things to decide if the finds are legitimate.

So, if you place so many caches that you cannot maintain them properly, its OK? Sounds like a cache owner that has over burdened themselves to me.

Of course, if cachers are swapping containers and logs, the cache owner's ability to check the logs is compromised. But in my examples of doing maintainance, unless I take the old soggy pulp from the wet cache and get it to the cache owner who may be able to dry it out then carefully unfold the remains of the log and read some of the names on it, the owner doesn't have the ability to check the logs as well.
We are not talking hypothetical here. We are talking about this power trail only. They are not wet and the logs don't need replacing. How about just addressing the caches in the topic rather than keep going back to some wild, unrelated, off topic hypothetical.

The game should rely on the honor system.
Yes, it should. But when people are throwing down their own container to aid in their logging speed, moving containers at every single stop, then throwing away the last container, I am not sure the honor system is being honored.

The rules (which I would argue are being violated) state:

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive the listing.

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe your maintenance plan on your cache page. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

By the way, let me be clear about something. I don't have a problem with this power trail at all. I would like to do a section of it someday. My problem is with the logging practices being employed by some and the throwing down, moving and throwing away of caches. This is a poor precedence to set as an acceptable practice in my book and something that could spread. I don't want you stealing my cache and sign the log as you drive to the next one and putting my cache in that place as you take that cache and continue to do the same to simply up your daily find count.

You know what would be really cool? If they not only shuffled containers down the line, and also didn't open them, and wrote "DRR" on the outside with a sharpie marker. Ok, you have to have been around for a few years, but many will get that one. :lol:

We should all whip out our DRR avatars, for old times sake. :laughing::)

You know what would be really cool? If they not only shuffled containers down the line, and also didn't open them, and wrote "DRR" on the outside with a sharpie marker. Ok, you have to have been around for a few years, but many will get that one. :lol:

That would be neat now that the wonders of google search revealed the meaning of DRR.

That would be neat now that the wonders of google search revealed the meaning of DRR.

Yeah, things got interesting in the forums for a little while, with that. :lol:

Folks, we've just seen a convergance of opinions from sbell1, Clan Riffster and mtn-man. What other litmus test do you want to put this practice of "logging" to?

It's an illusion. There is no such thing as a convergence of opinions on this board. :laughing:

If there was, all we'd talk about is the caches we found last week.

Nonsense, I say. VK is the world record holder. Close the thread. B)

Based on this post http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4488605 it would appear that VK and co. stuck to the "Normaly Accepted Rules of Geocaching" when logging (lets not start the sticker debate).

VK: if you are following this thread, could you give us details of your logging meathod?

Edit: I would have put this question in VK's record thread, but it has been locked.

Edited by Andronicus

Nonsense, I say. VK is the world record holder. Close the thread. :)

Based on this post http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4488605 it would appear that VK and co. stuck to the "Normaly Accepted Rules of Geocaching" when logging (lets not start the sticker debate).

VK: if you are following this thread, could you give us details of your logging meathod?

Edit: I would have put this question in VK's record thread, but it has been locked.

Actually, I just noticed something. I don't think he'll comment. I could be wrong though. B) I also remembered that post, and it's not 100% clear, but I'm quite sure they got out and stickered each cache and put the same cache back in the same spot.

Lets face it, there are geocachers that have the integrity to get out and look for a cache on their own, and that sign a log on their own. They also return the cache container as they found it were they found it. B)

OH! You mean like the way geocaching was meant to be played?

<Glances off in the distance to reflect on the good ol days of geocaching>

You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your watchlist settings.

frisbee'r found E.T. 001 (Traditional Cache) at 11/7/2010

Log Date: 11/7/2010

This was the culmination of considerable planning and resources. Rjjones00 and I flew into in Las Vegas on the afternoon of the 6th, picked up by rj’s father Jim1J driving a Dodge diesel pickup with a 35 gallon tank. This would come in very handy during our excursion. We stayed downtown for the night and headed out after a hearty breakfast. The weather was great. This was also the first day of standard time which comes into play later on.

We fueled at the last station near the junction of SR 375 and US 93. We signed the log at #001 at 12:40pm, November 7th after celebrating our arrival with lunch and filming the event. Our goal was to reach Rachel and call it a day. We had a pretty good plan worked out but we learned a lot so there was room for improvement. Working from bed of the truck, we took shifts of 100 which was exhausting. When we discovered a cache with the word “VAIL” made up of rocks, we decided to add “OLY” for Olympia, WA at #275. We found over 50 caches with logs in various stages of deterioration. We came prepared with enough resources to replace ‘em.

We arrived in Rachel after completing #354 just outside town at 4:35pm. Having made accommodations at the Little A ‘Le’ Inn, we checked in and got settled. The food at the restaurant is great. The kitchen closes at 9:00pm and opens at 8:00am for breakfast which is served all day. We figured to get started about 9:00am but something happened overnight.

I’m a light sleeper so when the rain started to fall at 3:30am, I became a bit concerned. At daylight, there was a mixture of sleet, hail, rain, and snow and the temperature below freezing. With the town at approximately 4850’, the snow level had dropped to 5400’ on the surrounding hills. We discovered that Rachel is an official National Weather Service check station. After breakfast, we decided to wait out the worst of the weather. There were a few flakes but it was the hail making things a bit dicey working from the bed of the truck. We logged #355 at 10:10am with the hope of finishing before dark. That didn’t happen. We discovered over 200 containers and logs in poor condition. Most of those were placed in low lying spots where water had accumulated or with lids not secure.

Once more, we took the time to replace logs and containers. We worked two shifts of 100 before reducing it to 50’s which helped us maintain a good pace and sanity. We took a half hour lunch about midway but we were still clinging to the hope of finishing before dark. That just didn’t happen. We arrived at #900 at the junction of SR 6, the last leg of our grueling effort, about twilight. The last 121 were done during darkness, with the final completed at 6:00:34.

A couple important points should be noted. This last section is a pass at 5800’ elevation. All the road reflectors have orange extensions to mark the location of the road. It snows up here and with the winter expecting to be colder with heavier than normal precipitation, the snow is going to stick and you better have a vehicle that can get off the road. There are many obvious chain-up areas along this route.

Once we returned to Rachel, we confirmed with staff that the last few weeks were unusually warm, especially on our start date, yesterday the 7th. Today, is more seasonable. It gets cold up here so please come prepared with warm clothing including gloves ‘cause you’re going to be digging out a few caches, especially up at the pass.

I’ll go out on a limb and say that it was humanly impossible for rjjones and I, with Jim1J doing most of the driving, to do it faster than 11:45 elapsed time, especially with all the maintenance work we encountered.

Thank you Clay4&whtwolfden for assembling this endurance run. I’ve always wanted to drive near the infamous Area 51 military reservation. I can’t imagine doing anything like this again …… on planet earth anyway.

You are receiving this email because this listing is on your watch list. Visit the web site to change your watchlist settings.

Major snippage. Yeah, so? It speaks volumes about the number runners who couldn't care less about the condition of the containers and logs. Even when they're driving around with them in their vehicles. B)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

*snipped the wall of text*

Why did you post this without elucidating some sort of point?

Perhaps we are supposed to insert our own opines here....lol.

Just look at those cachers ! Riding around in the bed of a pick up truck on a state highway. A ticket is certainly in order. The guidelines certainly must state somewhere....that geocaching must be done in a Legal way. B)

Perhaps we are supposed to insert our own opines here....lol.

Just look at that geocaching.. must be done in a Legal way. B)

LOL & more

There was a post about a grader clearing out a section of this trail. How was maintenance delt with? Were the next cachers through tossing out throw downs or did someone actually go out there and replace them?

Caches have been replaced, initially with baggies, courtesy of a cacher, with the baggies being supplied by the good folks at the Lil A Le Inn in Rachel. Following cachers have contributed to the ongoing maintenance. Some containers have been supplied by the proprietor of the Alamo Motel in Alamo, Nevada.

There are folks who are assisting with maintenance and integrity of this trail. ( Purpose is obviously to enable others to attempt a run at whatever may be driving them to tackle this trail. ) The ongoing maintenance is indeed rather unique ... never requested by the cache owners, however, I believe the cache owner may be most appreciative.

So why is not this grounds to archive these caches? The CO is violating the rule, "As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.)." This is also another example of how these nothing matters but numbers so-called "geocachers" harm real geocachers. How many times have land managers referred to caching as "littering"? How is not going out there to check on the containers and removing any damaged container not littering? Are there littering laws that apply?

Just exactly how did the cacher who put out the baggies know where the cache belonged? I guess just like it is unreasonable to expect these numbers hounds to actually take the time to sign the log and replace it before moving on, it is also unreasonable to expect them to look for the cache before replacing it and claiming another find. How is it legitimate for someone to just throw down baggies instead of looking for the actual container and report it missing if they cannot find it? I guess it is OK if I think a cache should be in a tree, that if I don't spot it in a second to place a bagging there instead of looking to see if it fell on the ground. How is it legitimate to claim a find for finding the baggies some slob threw down instead of finding the cache? I am curious did these self proclaimed "world record" holder also cheat by counting these baggies instead of bothering to look for the actual cache?

Log Date: 11/6/2010

...second goal was how many I could do in a day - starting at 2:34 AM - I did about 640 caches by 6 PM when I stopped for darkness - had to get the rest the next day

Previous post was a copy and paste of a cacher from the southeastern part of the U.S.ofA.

Most revealing I thought

If he logged all the caches and replaced them all where he found them, he just may in fact be the world record holder.

Note the date of the log and re-read the part about how they found over 200 caches and logs in poor condition.

When was the "world record run" done?

According to the first post in the thread November 5, 2010.

HumboldtFlyer's "point" in cutting and pasting someone's find log with no comment at all is that finders are helping out the CO with maintenance. Although in my opinion, it's has the opposite effect, and shows that most of the desert number runners couldn't care less if 200 of the containers weren't closed properly or had logs in poor condition.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

It seems despite bad weather and finding some caches where the logs or containers needed replacement (or worse - finding caches that had been moved by evil numbers-driven cheaters bent on ruining the experience of those who came after) they had fun. Isn't that what geocaching is about?

Well.... I'd like to explain...........or describe.....

You can quickly tell if the cache is missing. Hundreds of them were carefully placed in PVC pipes hammered into the dirt. The film cans hang on the top of the pipe, with the lids showing. A rock was on top of them.

.....just saying.......... if someone was dropping caches where there were caches missing............. perhaps they found the pipe with nothing in it.

You can quickly tell if the cache is missing. Hundreds of them were carefully placed in PVC pipes hammered into the dirt. The film cans hang on the top of the pipe, with the lids showing. A rock was on top of them.

.....just saying.......... if someone was dropping caches where there were caches missing............. perhaps they found the pipe with nothing in it.

So are you saying the road grader just removed the film canisters and left the PVC pipes?

It seems despite bad weather and finding some caches where the logs or containers needed replacement (or worse - finding caches that had been moved by evil numbers-driven cheaters bent on ruining the experience of those who came after) they had fun. Isn't that what geocaching is about?

I read through the post again although "frisbee'r" thanked the CO and implied that the caches provided an opportunity to drive around in the area 51 area, the closest thing they wrote about having fun was about the breakfast they had in Rachel. Maybe I should read it again, but I didn't find anything in that post that was an expression of fun or that they had a blast.

Furthermore, yes, "geocaching is about having fun" though I'm sure that there are many that will add other benefits (for the exercise, family bonding, etc). However, there are lots of activities that some people consider to be "fun" but can have severe negative consequences.

Some people consider bullying fun. Some of those incidents fall into the category of "hate crimes".

Some people consider drinking lots of alcohol or using drugs fun. On average someone is killed in an alcohol-impaired driving crash every 45 minutes in the U.S.

Some people consider vandalism fun (i.e. using a no trespassing sign for target practice).

"As long as they had fun" is no excuse for ignoring the geocaching guidelines, generally accepted practices for geocaching, causing environmental damage, or breaking the law.

He said on page 3 of this topic...

Yes the alien caches were moved down the line. B) We had a great time going as fast as we could go on this trail just as many others have. Would I do it the same way again? Yes.

It does seem that most of the posters here don't get out much so I guess I can't judge you.

They moved them. (FYI, if you look at my profile page and my states visited, I get out much more than you do, so there).

So, what I have made bold and made blood red above says that these cache have been BURIED? Geez, this just gets better and better all the time. Pardon me while I go throw up.

Curtis and his bent out of shape attitude, along with his 12 inches to the foot ( full scale ) road grader, removed a number of the caches in the middle 900's.

Those who had been " easing on down the home stretch " would have an idea where the caches belonged. I feel that a 99.9999999% assurance might not be to far off track for the mid portion of the " home stretch ".

There is no request or requirement to replace / maintain the trail. However, it is my assumption that those who follow are appreciative of the maintenance efforts conducted by others.

So are you saying the road grader just removed the film canisters and left the PVC pipes?

lol..... :):) I'm NOT saying. B)

So where did the caches go? Did a "grab and go" cacher grab one and forget a replacement? Did they miss the pipe and leave the replacement on the ground where the wind blew it away? Perhaps the aliens are beaming them up to the mother ship where they sign the logs and then beam them back down, but not necessarily to same spot where they found it. I think it was irresponsible of the cache owner to put a power trail where the space aliens would come and try to set records using transporter beams. Whatever it is, using a transporter beam is not geocaching. B)

Curtis and his bent out of shape attitude, along with his 12 inches to the foot ( full scale ) road grader, removed a number of the caches in the middle 900's.

Those who had been " easing on down the home stretch " would have an idea where the caches belonged. I feel that a 99.9999999% assurance might not be to far off track for the mid portion of the " home stretch ".

There is no request or requirement to replace / maintain the trail. However, it is my assumption that those who follow are appreciative of the maintenance efforts conducted by others.

Yep, when nothing maters but numbers, "As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). " means numbers hounds have no reponsiblity for anythng other than finding lamer ways to claim a find.

Yes the alien caches were moved down the line. B) We had a great time going as fast as we could go on this trail just as many others have. Would I do it the same way again? Yes.

It does seem that most of the posters here don't get out much so I guess I can't judge you.

They moved them. (FYI, if you look at my profile page and my states visited, I get out much more than you do, so there).

So, what I have made bold and made blood red above says that these cache have been BURIED? Geez, this just gets better and better all the time. Pardon me while I go throw up.

That was a leap. If I take a fake sprinkler head, put it on a spike and stick it into the turf, is a "buried" cache?

One end of the PVC pipe was cut a 45 degree angle to make it like a big hypodermic needle. That was inserted into the ground and the film can was placed at the top.

That was a leap. If I take a fake sprinkler head, put it on a spike and stick it into the turf, is a "buried" cache?

One end of the PVC pipe was cut a 45 degree angle to make it like a big hypodermic needle. That was inserted into the ground and the film can was placed at the top.

So what your saying is that a pointy tool was used to place the cache?

Yes. If you use an existing void in the ground, no.

Buried.

If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

I just keeps getting better and better.

I'm not going to mince words with you. No holes were dug and nothing was buried.

I was just trying to be helpful and describe what was being done before it resulted in another 100 posts about something that didn't exist. Keep in mind that this is bare desolate desert. If someone did this in the landscaping at the nearby retirement home, I'd be all over them.

Edited by Don_J
I found 1157 caches in ONE day without cheating. Tell me again....why do you hate me?
Hey, ventura_kids... Is this a confirmation that you did not shuffle the containers/logs during your 1157-find numbers run? If so, then you may still have the geocaching record.

Not so fast there. I outsmarted the numbers hounds in the race to the bottom and made 3,500 finds in an hour without CHEATING, without cache shuffling, and actually personally "finding" the cache every time I opened and closed my eyes.

How about instead of insulting real geocahers by claiming a "world record" for finding lamer and lamer ways to claim finds, how about claiming the "Yellow Jeep Trophy"? For the newbies, in the early days there were locationless caches where you could claim a find by finding something like a caboose. They got lamer and lamer. Then there was the "Yellow Jeep" locationless cache where you could claim a find by finding a yellow jeep. That was the final straw that ended locationless caches. It seems to me it is much more appropriate to claim the Yellow Jeep Trophy than self proclaim yourself the world record holder.

I'm not going to mince words with you. No holes were dug and nothing was buried.

I was just trying to be helpful and describe what was being done before it resulted in another 100 posts about something that didn't exist. Keep in mind that this is bare desolate desert. If someone did this in the landscaping at the nearby retirement home, I'd be all over them.

Please explain why it is okay to violate buried rules in the desert but not outside a retirement home? But then that leads to another question, is it okay to do this in a mall parking lot, as long as we leave the old folks alone? Sorry, your slope is pretty slick. The more I hear about the great ET highway the more I think the whole thing should be archived and the all the finds on the caches voided. And believe me, that took quite a bit. Curtis, you got more grading to do?

I've been to the desert, thank you. Buried is buried. Rationalize it all you want. Rationalize the finding method all you want. Your peers are shaking their heads in disgust, me included.

You don't know me, so please hold your disgust. Since you are a reviewer, if you say it's buried, then I guess it's buried. I've had different experiences with such things on my side of the country. Like I said, I was just trying to describe the situation.

As far as the finding practice, especially moving the caches. I don't agree with it. I was on that highway the day after they were published. I was out to set my own personal record of over 100 in a day. I pulled and signed the log on every cache and returned it the way that I found it. I ran into two that were missing and I reported them as such. Out of the 101 I did find, 20 or so already had lids that were not fully snapped on, (not that that would help anyway), but as the third visitor, I was finding caches that were already messed up.

I have no problem with this power trail, especially because of where it is located. However, I do not agree with a lot of the crazy things people are doing out there. I don't like what I'm seeing in that other thread about South Dakota