Send to GPS

gotaski

Hi Guys.I have a Garmin 60CSx

Im putting some geocaches onto my GPS

I find the cache I want. and click the tab that says,, send to GPS.a small window

opens and it says write. I click that and it goes to my GPS. that works

BUT the Cache Number shows up on the GPS Not the Name. anyway to change that

so the name comes up?

Thanks

Dale

The Send to GPX feature does not have configurable options.

Because the 60CSx (still the best GPS out there IMHO) restricts the number of characters in a waypoint name, Groundspeak has chosen to use the GC code because it is unique and eliminates the potential for duplication.

the 450 and 550 offer the same Reliability and Dependability

the signal holds perfectly in any conditions

in addition they have a bigger screen, twice the size of the screen you get with a 60CSx, but are smaller in overall size and less bulky

they are very rugged and can withstand serious shocks

no idea why the government would prefer the 60CSx over the Oregon 450/550, perhaps they just get a better deal on that model, but there's definitely no difference in performance

of course they also don't care for the additional features on the 450/550 that are only beneficial to geocaching

Edited by t4e

The story I heard was that these groups would not consider units without a similar button array to the 60C form-factor. The Colorado/Oregon/Dakota did not allow the same input interface as the 60C did. Now that the 62 is out some of them have upgraded.

The rumour that the 60C has a better GPS chip, more stability, etc has been lingering for quite a while. True or not, it does speak volumes if people are reluctant to buy a replacement unit. Speaking from no real position of validity, it seems odd to need more accuracy for search and rescue. The people are not hidden and frankly isn't it the point to get the rescue people to the area? Again, I may be missing some key info, so I'll just say that I'm not sure how the actual GPS function factors in.

:anibad: BQ

I find the cache I want. and click the tab that says,, send to GPS.a small window

so the name comes up?

Thanks

Dale

Use EasyGPS and set it up so it gives you the hint and name instead of GC number. Once installed, click the tab and it should give you a choice of downloading to EasyGPS. When you get it in EasyGPS send it to your GPS. If you're not a premium member I don't think you'll get the hint but you should end up with the name instead of the GC number

Edited by DonB

no idea why the government would prefer the 60CSx over the Oregon 450/550, perhaps they just get a better deal on that model, but there's definitely no difference in performance

of course they also don't care for the additional features on the 450/550 that are only beneficial to geocaching

Les Stroud uses an Oregon...

But back on track, You have no control over the simple "send to GPS" utility that is provided on the site.

If you want to configure how it is displayed when you upload it to your GPS you need 3rd party software (ie. GSAK) and premium member pocket queries

Edited by Juicepig

Very wise of you to modify your post and point out a less than reliable feature of the OR.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=263086

i would jump the gun and call it "less than reliable feature", i've had my 550 for over 2 months now and it only hanged once while loading sometime when i first started using it, hasn't done since

Very wise of you to modify your post and point out a less than reliable feature of the OR.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=263086

i would jump the gun and call it "less than reliable feature", i've had my 550 for over 2 months now and it only hanged once while loading sometime when i first started using it, hasn't done since

That is 1 more failure than I have experienced with my 60CSx in over 4 years.

Actually I don't find the Send to GPS feature all that useful since I have my Oregon. It seems much faster to just click the GPX link which downloads the GPX file and I pick where to save it. Even if I do that with Firefox and it dumps all of the GPX files in one folder, I just copy them en masse to the Oregon's GPX folder. Save me having to wait for the Send to GPS to detect my unit.

:) BQ

If there is no difference in performance, why would you pay 450$ for a 550 when you can have a 60csx for 230$? :laughing: Seems like a good use of our money for the government to buy less expensive equipment in that case.

Also, you may not realise that most SAR teams in Canada are volunteers, and not financed by the government, so have a very limited budget.

Actually, having used both models, I can say I find the performances of the 550 are better on many things (geocaching, compass, ease of use, map clarity), but the 60cx is what my SAR group uses and it's still perfect for SAR. Actually, now that the price is down, we may be able to buy a couple more. :rolleyes:

If there is no difference in performance, why would you pay 450$ for a 550 when you can have a 60csx for 230$? :laughing: Seems like a good use of our money for the government to buy less expensive equipment in that case.

this is why?

http://www.gpscity.com/compare/60csx&oreg550

and to me #49, the Touchscreen, and the screen size puts it head and shoulders above the 60Csx, not to mention the camera

Also, you may not realise that most SAR teams in Canada are volunteers, and not financed by the government, so have a very limited budget.

Actually, having used both models, I can say I find the performances of the 550 are better on many things (geocaching, compass, ease of use, map clarity), but the 60cx is what my SAR group uses and it's still perfect for SAR. Actually, now that the price is down, we may be able to buy a couple more. :)

yes i know they have limited budget

and you left an important part out of my post, that partly answered my own question

it makes sense for SAR to get the 60CSX, they don't need all the geocaching features of the 5550

Clearly the Oregon 550 is the best, because that is the one I chose to buy and any the validity of benefits claimed by any other unit would make me feel like I didn't make the right choice. This admission would affect my psyche far too greatly, so without trying the 60 or even touching it, I shall say it sucks, and the extra 250 dollars I spent was well worth it. Case closed lalalalalalalalalalal...

As an aside, I must say I am SHOCKED that the Wherigo aficionado is promoting the 60 CX over the Oregon.

Edited by KDotBlueDot

Clearly the Oregon 550 is the best, because that is the one I chose to buy and any the validity of benefits claimed by any other unit would make me feel like I didn't make the right choice. This admission would affect my psyche far too greatly, so without trying the 60 or even touching it, I shall say it sucks, and the extra 250 dollars I spent was well worth it. Case closed lalalalalalalalalalal...

As an aside, I must say I am SHOCKED that the Wherigo aficionado is promoting the 60 CX over the Oregon.

LMAO. Probably the best forum post I have read in.........minutes. :laughing:

I love my Oregon for caching. The paperless feature is great. And yes, I am a big supporter of Wherigo.

BUT, when the chips are down and the conditions are poor , the 60 is still my unit of choice. It is 100% reliable. A lot easier on batteries which is a significant issue if you are going into the bush with everything you need for 8 or 10 hours of searching.

As I said above, IMHO.

so the name comes up?

Thanks

Dale

Use EasyGPS and set it up so it gives you the hint and name instead of GC number. Once installed, click the tab and it should give you a choice of downloading to EasyGPS. When you get it in EasyGPS send it to your GPS. If you're not a premium member I don't think you'll get the hint but you should end up with the name instead of the GC number

so the name comes up?

Thanks

Dale

LMAO. Probably the best forum post I have read in.........minutes. :laughing:

I love my Oregon for caching. The paperless feature is great. And yes, I am a big supporter of Wherigo.

BUT, when the chips are down and the conditions are poor , the 60 is still my unit of choice. It is 100% reliable. A lot easier on batteries which is a significant issue if you are going into the bush with everything you need for 8 or 10 hours of searching.

As I said above, IMHO.

Hey KDotBlueDot!!! Don't believe everything Tequila says........ :laughing::):lol:

1c172617-af73-4018-a553-293e41a16951.jpg