I'm losing intrest in souvi's.

Coldgears

For those who haven't lost interest in calendars, the new feature was unveiled with the surprise Souvenir awarded to everyone who found a cache on 10/10/10 - less than a month ago. Thereafter the first batch of Souvenirs rolled out. Groundspeak follows a monthly development cycle, so let's see what appears in future releases.

I am still new to Geocaching and still learning about all of the different things it offers however this new feature does not hold much interest for me. I will not change how I cache because of a souvenir.

Maybe if there were some benefits to collecting them like trading 20 souvenirs for Platinum membership... :P

For those who haven't lost interest in calendars, the new feature was unveiled with the surprise Souvenir awarded to everyone who found a cache on 10/10/10 - less than a month ago. Thereafter the first batch of Souvenirs rolled out. Groundspeak follows a monthly development cycle, so let's see what appears in future releases.

I don't see how future souvenirs would be tied to a development cycle. Unless there is a known bug in the software which awards them the software infrastructure is already in place, and from the early posting that showed souvenir ids for all 50 states, the id numbers have already been reserved for many others souvenirs. All that remains is the artwork (and I supposed establishing the bounding area coordinates if that hasn't already been done) but that's just data entry that doesn't need to be tied to a development cycle.

... and from the early posting that showed souvenir ids for all 50 states ...
Yeah, whatever happened to that? Edited out by an admin ... but why? These things should be a type of cache attribute, visible to anyone looking at the page, or listing all together on some central (public) web page, not hidden away as a "surprise". C'mon!

Personally I think souvenirs have potential. They could go a bit further with them and have achievement souvenirs.

IE- Found 100 geocaches, completed ET highway, etc etc.

It would also be nice if we could submit the souvenirs for our own series or caches we set up. Would also be more of an incentive to grab multi's. I really think the idea has potential but the rollout process should have been a bit bigger.

I hadn't even noticed if they had been awarded yet, or not. I probably won't know, either, until I see something here. At that time, I'll probably take a look, and then forget all about them again. For me, they have nothing to do with Geocaching.

I wouldn't say that they have nothing to do with geocaching. To me, the could just be an added bonus for finding a specific geocache, attending an event, or acknowledgment of a geocaching achievement.

However...as the video showed, one can be awarded a souvenir merely be searching for a location using the iPhone/Droid geocaching app and since we don't know what the bounding area for a souvenir might be, that search could be initiated by driving near a location, riding on a bus or train, or even sitting in ones living room (as I did for the 10/10/10 souvenir) or hotel room. For a location such as Groundspeak HQ, the bounding area could be pretty small, but once souvenirs are added for large geographical areas like U.S. States or some of the countries as promised, awarding a souvenir for Illinois just because you've got a one hour layover at Ohare airport in Chicago doesn't seem to have anything to do with geocaching.

It seems to me that some sort of flag could be used which requires one to actually find a cache in a souvenir zone for some types of souvenirs. For example, if I was flying from New York to California and had a 4 hour layover in Denver I could launch the iPhone app when I landed and it could tell me; "You are in the souvenir zone for Colorado. To obtain the souvenir you must find and log a geocache nearby."

If one were required to actually *find* and log a geocache in a souvenir zone then it could be intrinsically tied to the act of geocaching but as long as some (that happen to use a specific kind of smart phone) can obtain them merely by launching an app and hitting a search button, I agree, it has little to do with geocaching.

It seems to me that some sort of flag could be used which requires one to actually find a cache in a souvenir zone for some types of souvenirs. For example, if I was flying from New York to California and had a 4 hour layover in Denver I could launch the iPhone app when I landed and it could tell me; "You are in the souvenir zone for Colorado. To obtain the souvenir you must find and log a geocache nearby."

If one were required to actually *find* and log a geocache in a souvenir zone then it could be intrinsically tied to the act of geocaching but as long as some (that happen to use a specific kind of smart phone) can obtain them merely by launching an app and hitting a search button, I agree, it has little to do with geocaching.

This is my biggest complaint about souvis. Smart phone users can rack them up by just one click, while I actually have to have time to find a cache which is much more difficult. Level the playing field and I'll become much more interested in them. As it stands it's just something I'll mainly ignore.

Like someone said before, we need one for every one of the 50 states. I think we also need one for every country. I think every major city should have one aswell, and so should provences in Canada and other countries that have states and provinces we should not let people frome other countries and areas out of the fun.

I agree for the most part although I'm not so sure about every major city. How do you define "major"? I suggested in an earlier thread establishing souvenir categories. For example, a souvenir for each of the Unesco World Heritage sites (places of special cultural or physical significance). At present there are 911 sites that have been selected and that might be too much, but the seven wonders of the world or seven natural wonders of the world would seem to be good candidates.

Boring graffiti for Seattleistas. Ha ha. You don't live in Seattle, so you cannot get the graffito for the dancer with the broken leg. I'm trying to fgure out how to get rid of that tab for 'veneers'. They're just insulting to most cachers.

got ABP? add this rule:

geocaching.com#li(id^=liSouvenirs)

This is my biggest complaint about souvis. Smart phone users can rack them up by just one click, while I actually have to have time to find a cache which is much more difficult. Level the playing field and I'll become much more interested in them. As it stands it's just something I'll mainly ignore.

And not just ANY smartphone. I have a 3 year old Blackberry. Useless for this. You have to have an iPhone or Droid, and the official geocaching app (only $9.99 at the i-store or the Android Marketplace).

And not just ANY smartphone. I have a 3 year old Blackberry. Useless for this. You have to have an iPhone or Droid, and the official geocaching app (only $9.99 at the i-store or the Android Marketplace).

I mentioned that it only works for the iPhone/Droid app earlier. Here's an idea (though it's not totally my idea)...

As I understand it one of the Feature requests under consideration is opening up a API for developers interested in developing geocaching applications.

Suppose Groundspeak used a model similar to what Apple does with their app store. Someone with software development skills could download the API and develop a geocaching related application, whether it be something like the now defunct, and very popular, "itsnotaboutthenumbers" system, or a mobile native app that could run on a Blackberry, Windows 7 mobile, Symbian (Nokia), etc. smart phones. Apps could be submitted to GS for review, and if approved (by whatever published criteria they establish), they could be made available through a Groundspeak "app store" for anyone to download. Apps could be free, or for a nominal charge. Developers could make a little money, GS could take a cut, and geocachers would benefit from the development of applications that GS might not have the resources to work on.

Boring graffiti for Seattleistas. Ha ha. You don't live in Seattle, so you cannot get the graffito for the dancer with the broken leg. I'm trying to fgure out how to get rid of that tab for 'veneers'. They're just insulting to most cachers.

I think that it's funny when naysayers make a wild claim that 'most' people agree with them.

I suspect that many people like the idea of souvis. I further believe that many people don't care one way or the other about them. A smaller amount of people don't like them, in my opinion. I strongly suspect that very, very, very few people are insulted by souvis.

I suspect that many people like the idea of souvis. I further believe that many people don't care one way or the other about them. A smaller amount of people don't like them, in my opinion. I strongly suspect that very, very, very few people are insulted by souvis.

You should have heard what the 10/10/10 veener said about your mamma. Dude. :)

got ABP? add this rule:

geocaching.com#li(id^=liSouvenirs)

Jeremy said the option to hide your souvenirs will be coming in a future update.

A friend of mine who lives in the NW said he just got two new souvenirs. One in Delaware and one in Germany and he has never cached in either place. Is there something wrong with this? Or is GC playing favorites? They also have the most souvenirs and I am not talking about the Mega and other events.

Maybe they just don't care to be called 'veeners'. I know I wouldn't.

A friend of mine who lives in the NW said he just got two new souvenirs. One in Delaware and one in Germany and he has never cached in either place. Is there something wrong with this? Or is GC playing favorites? They also have the most souvenirs and I am not talking about the Mega and other events.

It's a glich that is being harped on in several other threads. Apparently, the fix has been made.

Word is, they were talking about yo mamma because they heard you calling them souvis. Just saying. :)

Word is, they were talking about yo mamma because they heard you calling them souvis. Just saying. :)

I just took a look at the release notes for the update that going on right now and includes retroactive souvenirs, to be added in small batches periodically....the site is back up but I'm not seeing anything different in my souvenirs tab (the Delaware and B-W icons are still there). However, the links to the artwork have changed but are both resulting in an error message which reads:

There is no souvenir in the database that that matches your request.

In fact, the link for the 10/10/10 souvenirs, which used to work, is now broken as well.

I think that it's funny when naysayers make a wild claim that 'most' people agree with them.

I said 'insulting to' not 'insulted by'. Big difference.

For something to be insulting, somebody has to feel insulted. Either way, that's a heck of a lot of emotional involvement for some pretty innocuous pixels on a tab of your profile that you never have to look at.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Unless souveniers become a replacement for challenge caches I don't really care. If I want to collect "badges" for places I have been I'll hit up foursquare.

I suspect Foursquare is where this came from. I think I remember Jeremy saying a while back something about wanting to bring more of the social media aspects to geocaching.

While we wait I continue to be amused by folks who supposedly could or couldn't care less but care enough to post here stating that they could not care less! :laughing:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Not really. I think the premise of his post is still accurate. I think it is a small amount of people that they are insulting to. It is the old so documented thing here on the forums. If something happens that people are really upset about, they flock to the forums. In the case of souvenirs, there is no mass entry into the forums about them until the Germany and Delaware ones appeared out of nowhere. Even then, it was a small number by comparison to other things. A great example is when pocket queries have failed. People flock here. With this, it is just a few people complaining about them being there at all. The facts speak for themselves.

I like them, but then again I have most of the caches needed for the ones that are coming out. I found the trifecta way back in 2005 before it was cool to do so, I went to GW8, the HQ event and two 10-10-10 events and have found caches in 48 states and DC. I am looking forward to seeing my souvenir page fill up.

I had some initial interest, and even went out on 10/10/10 specifically to get that souvenir. It has taken too long to get the ball rolling though, and now I am completely dis-interested.

I guess I consider this a low priority item. I don't care how long it takes. There were a lot of unintentional bugs generated in the new release yesterday. Fixing them is priority one for me and probably many other folks. The "flocking to the forums meter" is high on that. We got mass delete capabilities on watchlists (30 days after I took the time to scrub mine clean, but we got it finally). We now get to generate our "My Finds" pocket query every three days. Improving the pocket query generator so it can do the "My Finds" query twice as often and watchlists scrubbing are features I think are more important. If they want to work on something like getting souvenirs to display to break up the day to day grind then I am all for that, but I like that the important things in geocaching are also being worked on first.

I tend to agree with Castle Mischief I think, and will yawn. yawnnn.gif

I think I will go find a cache at lunch today. :laughing:

Just simple question. Can you get souvenir after logging virtual cache? I am asking, because if yes, we can expect a lot of bogus logs on them. Something similar has already happened in case of Original Stash Tribute cache.

if implemented correctly, then the souvenir would be retracted once the found log was deleted. i don't know if that's actually happening yet though.