How many caches in other countries?

The QCs

Is there an easy way to find a list of countries and how many caches they each contain?

I understand the numbers change daily but a rough idea would be good.

Many thanks.

You can go to the "Hide and Seek A Cache" page and select each country, one at a time, and it'll show the number of current active caches. It's time consuming but easy to do. I did it awhile back to try to get a count of the number of countries which had no caches at all. At the time, there were 27 countries without any caches at all thou some of the countries in the select list are pretty small islands.

I will probably be traveling to Africa in the next couple of years, and from what I have seen, other than a handful of exceptions, caching is definitely still in its infancy there.

There are 53 countries in Africa. Currently, 15 of those do not have any caches. (I am including Burkina Faso, Chad, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Rwanda, and Togo in this category; though technically they have caches hidden, they are missing.) 19 others have less than 10 caches total (and many of them have never been found).

I am pleasantly surprised to see a lot more caches along the Saharan countries. Tunisia and Morocco barely had any caches a couple of years ago when we were thinking of going, now they have a few dozen each. Not a ton, but it's progress.

I will probably be traveling to Africa in the next couple of years, and from what I have seen, other than a handful of exceptions, caching is definitely still in its infancy there.

There are 53 countries in Africa. Currently, 15 of those do not have any caches. (I am including Burkina Faso, Chad, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Rwanda, and Togo in this category; though technically they have caches hidden, they are missing.) 19 others have less than 10 caches total (and many of them have never been found).

I am pleasantly surprised to see a lot more caches along the Saharan countries. Tunisia and Morocco barely had any caches a couple of years ago when we were thinking of going, now they have a few dozen each. Not a ton, but it's progress.

I've found caches in three African countries (South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Tanzania). However, I've also visited Ethiopia and Zambia (each for almost a week) and couldn't get to any caches in those countries. I've also been through airports in Senegal and Kenya. Except for South Africa, finding a geocache in Africa might involve traveling considerable distances. Although there is now a cache in Dar es Salaam but when I was there last March the nearest cache to that capital city with a regional population of over 2 million people was 40 miles away and required a ferry ride or airplane to get to it (in Zanzibar). The one that I did find was 150 miles from Dar, but "only" about 50 miles where I was working.

Where are you planning on visiting?