Should cache generations be created?

Olewaif

The proximity guideline is in place, in part, to prevent cache containers from being mistaken for one another. This is a terrible idea.

If you're dying for new caches to find, travel.

Yeah, it's not like you guys don't have a bridge now. Sorry, couldn't resist. :anibad:

I actually do agree with your major points that on an Island, saturation is a problem as Geocaching grows as a sport. I have no ideas for a solution, but I can see where you're coming from. Oh, and the total domination of the listings in PEI by roadside traditionals definitely jumps out at an outside observer. It wasn't just Narcissa and NYPaddleCacher. I actually checked out PEI on the maps after reading your Original post, and before reading any replies.

People on the forum tend to lean toward the enthusiastic-fanatical end of the geocaching spectrum. Most geocachers cache at a much more leisurely pace. Heck, I haven't hit 1800 find yet, and I've been caching for 5 years. If you're the sort of geocacher who completely caches out the island (1800+ caches) in a short time, then you're going to have to travel, or put down the GPS for a while. Demanding that we change the entire structure of the game to accommodate the far end of the bell curve is obviously a bit silly.

For the really avid cachers on PEI, there's still hope. There are tons of geocaches within a very short distance of the bridge on the NB side. A few bucks in gas money and the $40-ish bridge toll (one way) spread out between 3 or 4 geocachers is hardly prohibitive. There are lots of caches within a short drive of the ferry landing in NS as well.

This game has really exploded in the last couple of years, partly because all these smart phones are making it easier for new people to try it out. I really wouldn't be shocked to see caching activity come to a peak and then start declining in the next two or three years.

Even on PEI, there's lots of space left before these doomsday scenarios about cache saturation come to fruition.

I just looked through the thread to find this mysterious Kenora poster. The only Ontario people I see posting in this thread are me (from Ottawa) and the Lone R (Golden Horseshoe).

It takes around 24 hours to drive from Ottawa to Kenora, and almost as long to drive there from the Golden Horseshoe area - if you go through the US.

Using Kenora as an example of an area close to either of us is either a pretty big geography fail, or just plain disingenuous. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

Yes, there's not much cache variety around Kenora, Ontario (I don't know who lives there - not me). I

Yup my bad on that one! Clicked on one of your caches, thinking you were Ontario and when it came up the bubble thing was in the way of the most of the town word which was Kelowna ( BC where you used to live??) not as I thought Kenora so that's why I checked there. As for Shediac caches it IS a great area for puzzles especially as you go towards Moncton from there.. thank god for " Ma and Pa " huh, since over half of them are that cachers work. and good for them! I've noticed they get over this way to cache each year as well as I've seen their signatures on caches I've found. Lucky you too for living in the lovely cache-rich Ottawa area.. we always enjoyed going through there on our travels ..love that drive up 17 to North Bay ! Weve often stayed around Arnprior or Renfrew when in the Ottawa area.

Like I said in post one all this comes out of a group discussion at a recent event ( `I`ll take FTFs and beer for $ 200., Alex `) I was at a week or two back and really I threw it out here to see what people think.. well now I know LOL.. It`s been mixed with a majority seeming to like the status quo or not seeing any real problems in their areas re- saturation. Cool. I;ll stop worrying about it and get back on my real problem,, namely why does the guy I see in the mirror keep on getting older and older.. `sigh``.. any help with that one will really be appreciated ( maybe I could be regenerated eh ).

We visited Ma and Pa when we were in Shediac. Great people.

And I've geocached in both Kelowna AND near Kenora in recent months, so I can understand the confusion if you were looking at my finds instead of the forum.

Yeah it was actually a cache you had hidden in kelowna that I had clicked on in your profile and when it came up The bubble marker thingie was in way of most of word so I saw Ke&&&a and thought it must be Kenora since I saw you as Ontario. I SHOULD have looked more closely at area around the thing and seen it was BC, not Ontario. We`ve been to Kenora also many times nice drive around Lake Superior and then not so exciting from T`Bay to Kenora never cached there since Ive really only been at caching for a few months. We were only in B.C twice and what I remember most is the Bouchart(sp) Gardens over on the Island there... was quite a while ago.

Since you ask about cache saturation in other areas... I have found almost 3000 caches in six years. I generally cache within a 35 mile circle (more east and west than north and south.) I have cached in 21 states, and New Brunswick. But, the vast majority of my finds are within that 35 mile circle. There are currently 3400 caches that I have not found in that circle. That should keep me busy for another six years! I could easily go out and hide another hundred caches in that circle, and bring you to interesting places. (Wish I could say the same for a lot of the caches that I've found. Oh, well.) No. I do not see a saturation problem. FYI, I live in Northwest New Jersey.

And I've geocached in both Kelowna AND near Kenora in recent months, so I can understand the confusion if you were looking at my finds instead of the forum.

Is it safe to say Kelowna (never heard of it) and Kenora are not gross? :)

Keep posting, I need a new quote. I had one, but I lost it.

Really active cachers ARE going to find it more and more difficult to geocache as time goes on and they've found all the caches in their area
Pfht. . .

I cache with the Number One Cacher in my state on a regular basis. It has come up more than once about how he used to have a 30 mile radius around his house cleared of unfound caches. I don't think he's got a 5 mile radius at this point.

Of course, around here, people hide caches in the woods. :)

Kelowna's pretty gross. If you want to get stabbed by a low-level bike gang member, or you're looking to score a massive amount of crystal meth, go to Kelonwa. It's kind of sad, actually... poverty, addiction, and despair juxtaposed with luxury lakeside condos and $100K wakeboarding boats. It is pretty, though. And sunny.

We bypassed Kenora itself, so I can't speak to how gross it is.

I know this is a solution that not everyone has the ability (or desire) to do, but PLAN on moving to another area every 5 years or so.

When I lived in Spokane, WA... I had every cache within a 25 MILE circle. Life took a turn and I moved to Warrensburg, MO. I had every cache within a 40 Mile circle*xcpt KC Area Caches*, and could take drives to the city to get them when I wanted. Now, I'm in Cheyenne, and this last weekened found 156 caches in a day. I'm going to be going to Green River, WY in the month and then be there for awhile. Then, my caching WILL slow down, but more so that I can try and beat my record of days in a row with a find.

The Steaks

I've read the later comments re above... I used to live in Vernon, just north of Kelowna... and used to travel through Kenora all the time... (including this May)... I think that both are reasonably nice places... they are both touristy areas, and attract associated crowds... most of the permanent residents are simply Average...

Neither are blighted cesspools, or gleaming utopias... money and lack of it speak, as usual... I don't have equally fond memories of the Niagara Frontier (either side of river), but didn't find that all that bad either...

It's a matter of what you are used to, and willing to accept... Small towns and cities can go either way or both. Like was said, poor and rich go hand in hand, usually led along by the crooks and shnooks.

Doug 7rxc