Parks and National Forest

jvfalletti

We are real new and very excited about starting off our family in this new adventure. However, my kids are real young, and we do want to go into areas that are a bit hospitable. For one we do not want them to be too easy we would like to spend some time as a family in a trail hunting around and not off a roadway or trekking through thick brush. However, the way I read the rules Caches cannot be in parks or national forest lands, am I correct? If so, are there any ideas where we can go as a family?

I believe that caches are not allowed in National forests because of government rules. However, many state parks allow caches by permit so many state parks have plenty. Best thing to do is to use the Google Maps provided through the Geocaching.com site to see if any caches are available in parks near you. I can't tell from your profile where you live or I could be more help.

Caches are allowed in national forests also IF you ask and gain permission and acquire the necessary permit(s). The hard part can be in finding out "who" to get permission from. For the National Forest Service seek a manager of the Forest Service;they will direct you to the correct personnel.

Also once permission is granted ;be sure you provide info on your cache page to follow any and all posted regulations of that area.Keep a good rapport with those who gave you that permission.

Placement of a cache in a National Forest is accepted in Northern Wisconsin. I thought I would need to get permission, but after talking to the areas local NF manager she put it this way: "We consider them as an item left by an individual, it's not a smart use of taxpayers dollars to go thru all the permitting process and just ask that you maintain them, respect the environment and we ignore them". There are quite a few up north and they are my favorites to search for. They bring you to some spectacular areas.

I wouldn't consider the national forests any more or less hospitable than a cache left in any other forested area.

Our state parks have caches in them that are occasionally hospitable.

My suggestion for finding caches that fit what you want is to find a terrain rating that seems to suit you and carefully read the cache pages as well as look at some maps before going out for it. When I'm thinking of trails around here they're in any variety of forested areas not just limited to national/state parks or national forests.

difficulty/terrain ratings (d/t) can be helpful as well as logs.

when you view the maps you can view the terrain on the map. so thismight be of use as well.

depending on time and when the trip is planned youmight want to contact either the cache owner (CO) or a cacher who has recently found it to ask their thoughts on if it is kid friendly.

there are also attributes that might indicate kid friendly or other things as well.

mayb if it is close enough you could scout it first?

over time you will start to see and learn what d/t ratings are ok for you and yours.

Monty

County, city, and state parks can be a great location to introduce children to geocaching, as well as larger outdoor gardens... these locations often have paved or wide hard-packed dirt main trails and relatively well maintained sanctioned side trails making them very kid friendly... locations like these often have rules for geocachers placing caches such as a set max distance from an established trail, or rules preventing caches that would require bushwacking.

There is some misinformation above. National forests generally allow caches as long as it's not in a wilderness area. Some national forests have additional restrictions, either requiring a permit, permission or at least notification of your placement. There may be a few that don't allow caching at all but I'm not aware of them. If in doubt ask your local reviewer.

National parks have had a long standing ban on geocaching, but that has loosened up a bit in the past year or so. It is now up to the local park management as to how they handle geocaching. Most continue to ban it. A handful now allow it, but express permission is usually required.

So if there is a national forest in your area it may well have geocaches. Also, depending on your state, caches can be found in state parks, state forests and state game lands (AKA WMAs in some states).

Many county parks also allow geocaching.