Road Trip

Corp Of  Discovery

Having just gotten back from a trip to the KC/Omaha area, I'll chime in. WE had time constraints as well, and looked for the "easy" but "good" ones.

1) Visit Winterset, IA. Home of John Wayne's birthplace and the 6 remaining Bridges of Madison County. There are some cool caches (start looking here) and the bridges are very attractive and worth the trip themselves.

2) In Omaha visit the couple of caches near this one. Nice views of the Big Muddy.

3) In Kansas City, MO, visit MO's first cache. We DNF'ed it, only because we focused on the wrong spot and figured it was missing.

Enjoy your trip!

If you are stopping on Omaha for some quick caches I would suggest two very easy caches - as long as you are there during OPEN hours. It looks, from your route, like they would be the easiest two to grab (in my opinion they are in a beautiful place with great views).

Lauritzen Gardens

Train Yourself to Cache!

Now that I think about it, in West Branch, Iowa (just east of Iowa City) there is a unique virtual cache we enjoyed.

West Branch Hometown

And obviously Mingo in NW Kansas has been suggested.

Have a great trip, it looks like it will be a lot of fun!

Tracker

Edited by XC_Tracker

There are several good virtuals within 2-3 miles of I-70 through KS, just perfect for breaking up the monotony that is I-70 through KS. ;) My favs are GC7F5B, GC698E (bit of a steep climb though), both of them in Abilene, GCGVGX, GC9F4F, and GC57FD. Make sure to bring your camera, as some of the answers are a bit sneaky. Many of these have an earthcache or physical right on top of them, so you could get two or three for the price of one.

If you’re going south on 385 in CO, you’ll pass fairly close to GC2A76, Mt. Sunflower, THE Highest Point in KS! :laughing: Make sure you bring oxygen bottles and call ahead for Sherpa availability! :rolleyes: Unless there was something specific you were looking for on I-70 in CO, you could short-cut from Mingo to here, then over to CO (bunch of “hopefully dirt” roads, though).

Thanks for the help everyone! We weren't able to do everything this trip, but there's always next time. :P

And here I was thinking about making a glib comment that is you see a red truck blasting past Mt. Sunflower to give a wave...little did I know! :mad: Pleasure meeting you guys, and hope you have a great trip! B)

Who'd a thunk it, huh? Meeting fellow cachers is always a special treat, doing so while on the road such as we were made it even cooler.:laughing: It was definitely one of the high points of our trip- in more ways than one.:angry: