Am I playing fair?

Hi all, just a quicky.

I am an engineer by trade and have tools / machines at home so I can make some pretty cool caches and I enjoy making / hollowing out all sorts of things.

Is it fair to place one of my completely unexpected caches without letting on, I mean most people are expecting to find a tupperware box with a bright blue lid pretty much in plain view. I could put a note in the listing but I feel this would spoil it for other cachers that enjoy the hunt.

The most recent cache was a micro hidden in a 4 foot object in plain view, infact it sticks out like a sore thumb, so far 2 dnf and found twice, we all know if 2 have said dnf there was a lot more.

What I'm getting at is I don't want to waste peoples time but I also don't want to spoil it for the more dedicated "hunters".

Fair play or not?

I agree with Mrs B. - totally fair as long as you reflect how effectively it's hidden in its difficulty rating. Caches like this can be a refreshing break from Tupperware hidden under a few rocks or sticks. A few of our caches are made from various hollowed out items, and so far, they've all had good reviews.

Go for it!

As Maiawalli probably knows all too well (they're from the same are as me), a number of my caches are more or less as you've described. One or two are causing problems in finding, but rather than rush out at every DNF, I wait a while because I know they're difficult and therefore may not always get little smilies.

The more variety, the merrier as far as I am concerned. In fact, of the 39 caches I have out, there are at least 9 different types, and that doesn't include the different sizes of container.

:D

...I mean most people are expecting to find a tupperware box with a bright blue lid pretty much in plain view.

I don't think so! Lots of unusual containers are out there, and even the traditional ones vary quite a bit. Not one of my 118 hides has been a "tupperware box with a bright blue lid pretty much in plain view".

If you want to avoid frustrating people but not give away too much, you could just mention that the container is "unusual" and leave it at that.

(Edit) Judging from the logs on your caches; they sound very good, so please be encouraged to hide more like that!

Edited by Happy Humphrey

...I mean most people are expecting to find a tupperware box with a bright blue lid pretty much in plain view.

I don't think so! Lots of unusual containers are out there, and even the traditional ones vary quite a bit. Not one of my 118 hides has been a "tupperware box with a bright blue lid pretty much in plain view".

+1

I had to read that original bit twice.

If it were really like that I don't think we would have stuck this game as long as we have.

Bit like the assumption that "most" people don't like to walk too far from the car to find a cache.

But go for it, we love the ingenious hides which have real thought put into them to make them different, clever and even unique. More power to you.

I wish I could tell you about some local to us which go beyond anything one would ever expect to find and are just pure genius and which took fantastic imagination, time and money to build.

They should be posted here as examples of what can be done when you think outside the box (excuse the pun).

But their details must remain secret so as not to spoil the fun for future finders, which is a shame as they deserve a much wider audience. I guarantee they have the WOW!! factor. Literally.

If you want to know what they are, you will have to visit this one and this one and this one.

Thankfully no one has posted spoiler pictures of the caches on any of these!

If your constructions can come even half way to these you'll build a good reputation and people will flock to your caches when you put them out.

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

Go for it! I am glad to see you are not to far from our neck of the woods!!!

Mr aliandtone also likes to devise.make caches and your question 'am I playing fair?' was one we also pondered on.We decided to go with 'container is unusual' and see what happened! We have a series around Stewartby Lake which we hope offers a bit of variety and generally the logs have been quite positive.

We recieved this log today for one of our caches.....it put a smile on our face :anibad:

OMG. I am not surprised that there have been so many 'can't finds' at this cache. We very nearly gave up, having searched the obvious places and then started on the not so obvious and then on the 'it can't possibly be here but we'll check anyway' places. This is the most ingenious, cleverest, sneakiest, unlikeliest cache in the whole world ever. Don't be disheartened by the recent lack of people finding it - go and give it a go! TFTC

Edited by aliandtone

We recieved this log today for one of our caches.....it put a smile on our face :anibad:

OMG. I am not surprised that there have been so many 'can't finds' at this cache. We very nearly gave up, having searched the obvious places and then started on the not so obvious and then on the 'it can't possibly be here but we'll check anyway' places. This is the most ingenious, cleverest, sneakiest, unlikeliest cache in the whole world ever. Don't be disheartened by the recent lack of people finding it - go and give it a go! TFTC

I know exactly which cache this is.

I needed 3 PAFs to get this one......