An earthcache on a wetland

Bird Watcher 8

I have one EC published and I'm considering trying one on a local wetland. I have run across some that have been accepted. I would start out with the soils that are quite unique and include such things as how they function; water quality improvement, sediment detention, groundwater recharge, flood control. They are very important as a "landform" and in my eye should qualify as an Earth Science. Give me some feedback :unsure:

I have one EC published and I'm considering trying one on a local wetland. I have run across some that have been accepted. I would start out with the soils that are quite unique and include such things as how they function; water quality improvement, sediment detention, groundwater recharge, flood control. They are very important as a "landform" and in my eye should qualify as an Earth Science. Give me some feedback :D

I do have 2 EC listings based on wetlands. I also have ran across some that have been accepted, as well as some other EC's involving water that are no longer accepted. The last cache that I submitted was a similar copy of other EC's that we have enjoyed, involving taking the tempreture of a spring and measuring the magnitude of it's flow. I was told by the EC reviewer that GSA would no longer approve this type listing with these questions as an EC. I added quite a bit more information about the geology of the local area and changed the questions, and the listing was published. Truthfully, I think that GSA has raised their standards as to what they will approve now. Please keep us posted if you submit your EC, I have been told by other users that my 2 listings based on wetlands likely would not be approved now. :D

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

" I also have ran across some that have been accepted, as well as some other EC's involving water that are no longer accepted."

Speaking of EC types that are no longer accepted, it sure would be nice if an updated list would be published of all types that are no longer acceptable. It's a lot of time and trouble to scout out a specific location, do the necessary GPS work, do the write up and seek permission just to find out that while that type used to be OK, it is no longer acceptable.

Hopefully, this would also include no longer acceptable types of questions.

Thanks.

To the OP's question, unless they have been banned, wetlands are nice types of ECs. Go for it, but Just stay away from mountain balds! :D

You might want to consider the water source, surface water or groundwater?

You may want to attempt explaining how the soil, clays, help hold the surface water while the biological factors help cleanse the surface water. An example of mottled soil might be nice.

If your strong point is not geology, you may want to tie in the symbiotic relationship w/biology or habitat.

" I also have ran across some that have been accepted, as well as some other EC's involving water that are no longer accepted."

Speaking of EC types that are no longer accepted, it sure would be nice if an updated list would be published of all types that are no longer acceptable. It's a lot of time and trouble to scout out a specific location, do the necessary GPS work, do the write up and seek permission just to find out that while that type used to be OK, it is no longer acceptable.

Hopefully, this would also include no longer acceptable types of questions.

Thanks.

To the OP's question, unless they have been banned, wetlands are nice types of ECs. Go for it, but Just stay away from mountain balds! :P

Caves also, we are in a White Nose Syndrome area in this part of Virginia. All EarthCaches involving caves must first be approved by the National Speleological Society (unless that has changed recently too), and with WNS in Brown Bats, visiting caves is not recomended. Or so I was told when I submitted one for a rare wind cave, that it could not be published at this time.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters