If I change my username...

d+n.s

Will I have to restock my friend's list or anything? are there any risks? I know how to do it, but I'm a bit nervous about doing it.

Don't worry, you won't lose anything at all. All your data will be linked to your new name.

We changed our name a couple of months back to thange the & to an and - nothing lost, no hassle, just carried on as usual.

Only two things to watch, nothing to do with the gc.com site:

You wll probably have to log out then back into the forums for your new name to register here.

If you use a GSAK database, you need to make sure it is looking for your logs by means of your user ID (which does not change) rather than your name.

Hope that reassures :rolleyes:

Most of the information on the Groundspeak site works from your user ID no -3255336 for you- the only thing that doesn't change is the cache owner name "A cache by ... " if you have any caches hidden. Then it's a case of you having to edit the listing yourself.

Someone else had the site change to German, but I think that's a small bug, just look at the bottom of the cache page for:

"Choose Your Language: English Deutsch Français Português Čeština Svenska Nederlands Català "

if your page changes language.

Most of the information on the Groundspeak site works from your user ID no -3255336 for you- the only thing that doesn't change is the cache owner name "A cache by ... " if you have any caches hidden. Then it's a case of you having to edit the listing yourself.

Someone else had the site change to German, but I think that's a small bug, just look at the bottom of the cache page for:

"Choose Your Language: English Deutsch Français Português Čeština Svenska Nederlands Català "

if your page changes language.

Actually the cache owner name does change. What your referring to is the placed by field. This field is fully editable and can be anything. The cache owner field is not editable. When you change your username this field is not changed and you will need to edit it if you don't want your old name shown.

No worries, your finds and DNFs will still be there.

But you may want to edit your online find logs to indicate that you had signed the cache logs as XYZ in case someone complains that your name was not on the log. But the time that we realized that our name was not very cool, it seemed like too much work to edit every log. So change now while it is still manageable.

But you may want to edit your online find logs to indicate that you had signed the cache logs as XYZ in case someone complains that your name was not on the log. But the time that we realized that our name was not very cool, it seemed like too much work to edit every log. So change now while it is still manageable.

I don't think I would go back and edit 100+ logs just to explain that my name has changed since I signed the physical log.

There are not many COs who reconcile the physical log against the online logs, and if any do, and if they identify an anomaly then chances are they would email the finder anyway to double check. And at that point it could all be cleared up very quickly.

I swapped a log book yesterday that has been out since February and read through it, but I reckon about 25% of the 111 written logs were unreadable due to fading, torn paper or having been written in the rain resting on a rock. So I wouldn't even attempt to reconcile all those 111 logs against the online entries.

If this is seen as an issue, I would have thought a short note in the user profile stating "Up until ..insert date.. we were caching under the user name of ...insert old username..."

I think I would rather do that than have 100 edited online logs.

In our case it didn't really matter as we only changed the & in the name, and we still usually sign the logs Lovejoy & Tinker :unsure: