Whats your Geocaching goal?

Delons

I have two different kinds of goals.. the first is more general and the second is specific.

1. To make all of my adventures as good or better than the last and enjoy them while they last.

2. Geocache in all 50 states (currently at 42), find the oldest active cache in each state, to attain the best ALL-AROUND stats possible, not just find count.

My goal is to set a new World Record for the most geocache finds in 24 hours....

....but I already did that..... :D

.... but you already knew that ! :D

Now try it without cheating with team finds. :D THAT'D be a cool goal.
Not that I'd use team finds in such a way, but where are the rules that say someone can't?

So many people have said that their goal is to "Have Fun." A great goal, one that is much easier to accomplish if you aren't worrying about how others are playing the game.

My goal is to set a new World Record for the most geocache finds in 24 hours....

Not that I'd use team finds in such a way, but where are the rules that say someone can't?

So many people have said that their goal is to "Have Fun." A great goal, one that is much easier to accomplish if you aren't worrying about how others are playing the game.

Not sure where I mentioned anything about rules. I just said a World Record in 24 hours as an individual, rather than as a team, would be a cool goal. No point in adding angst where there doesn't need to be. :D

Not sure where I mentioned anything about rules. I just said a World Record in 24 hours as an individual, rather than as a team, would be a cool goal. No point in adding angst where there doesn't need to be. :D
Highlighted it for ya.
cheat: to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.
By definition, if they are cheating, as you say, they must be breaking rules.

This weekend my goal is to log find #100.

I hit #99 last weekend and stopped. Have passed up many an FTF since then. There is one particularly challenging (3.5/3.5) puzzle cache that I want to have as #100. I've solved the puzzle in 2 different ways and have visited the site. Unfortunately I was way way unprepared for the physical challenges involved in getting to the container, even beyond the difficulty of solving the puzzle.

I hope to get out to it this weekend so I can resume making other finds. Sadly it has been really raining this week and I may have to wait for flood waters to recede.

2. FTF a cache more than a year after it was published. Do it more often. (I've got just the ticket for that. In fact, I leave tomorrow.)

Sheesh, what cache was that? Must have been a difficult one or something for it to take a year to be found for the first time.

As for me, my current goals (subject to increase) are:

1) Find at least one cache in every county of my home state of Mississippi

2) Log the only active webcam cache left in my state, The Bulldawg Cam

3) Find at least one cache in every state of the United States, preferably the oldest in each to knock out two goals with one stone.

4) Log at least one cache in Rodney, MS--a town that was nearly my state's capital but is now, more or less, a ghost town.

Highlighted it for ya.
cheat: to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.
By definition, if they are cheating, as you say, they must be breaking rules.

In that case, my philosophy is that it is cheating. But then I also don't care if you cheat. So take your angst to the other multi-page thread if you don't like my suggested goal.

I have been a fan of the San Francisco Giants ever since I attended my first baseball game and saw Willy Mays hit a home run that set the record for the most home runs by a right handed batter. Anyone that follows baseball will know that the SF Giants just won the 2010 World Championship by beating the Texas Rangers in the World Series.

It's pretty common for people internationally to scoff at the use of the championship as a "World" series when the only teams eligible are from North America.

I think that it would be fairly to safe to say that there is only only one place in the world where finding more than 1000 caches in a 24 hour period would even be possible, so it's understandable that claims of a "World Record" are met with a bit of incredulity. I am not doubting that Ventura Kids "found" as many caches as they claimed, though my criteria would find would include actually physically touching every cache. IMHO, it would be more accurate to claim a record of the most caches found in a 24 hour period but there is still the question as to what constitutes a find, something that I suspect we'll never get consensus on.

It's not really cheating - there are no rules against accumulating finds under a group account.

It is, however, blatantly obnoxious - whatever they did accomplish in 24 hours wasn't particularly impressive, nor is it accurate to declare it a "World Record" without some sort of external authentication.

Well, I just started, so I have a lot of goals. One is to get a new gps on Black Friday! :anibad:

Let me just ditto everyone who said they want to explore new and interesting places in nature and the world, have fun and teach my kids to appreciate the natural wonders of the world, all while getting some free excercise!

I am starting with getting one of each of the more common types of caches. Tomorrow I'm looking for my first multi. Next week, my first Earthcache. Hoping to get my first FTF soon!

We would like to place an interesting, fun, memorable, nice sized cache in a nice park somewhere.

This summer we are hoping to go to Seattle and Alaska, so the HQ visit is on my list, as well as a cache at each Alaska and BC port. If I could get my husband interested I could have loftier goals of doing the Triad...but no luck on that! :grin:

Possibly may set up an educational enrichment program of geocaching at my kids' elementary school. I need more experience first, though. Maybe next year.

Also to remember to leave each cache site better than we found it. CITO ya'll!

Edited by FloridaFour

To enjoy the outdoors and see places I would have never known about. Over the years I have built up memories of places that are amazing, yet I never would have traveled down that road if it wasn't for Geocaching. All the people that I've met in this great hobby have been caring, friendly, and down to earth.

I am looking to introducing my son (1yr old) to this wonderful world when he is old enough. Lately it has been hard to get out and cache, but the cool fall weather is my favorite time to explore!

Time to get back out!

This weekend my goal is to log find #100.

I hit #99 last weekend and stopped. Have passed up many an FTF since then. There is one particularly challenging (3.5/3.5) puzzle cache that I want to have as #100. I've solved the puzzle in 2 different ways and have visited the site. Unfortunately I was way way unprepared for the physical challenges involved in getting to the container, even beyond the difficulty of solving the puzzle.

I hope to get out to it this weekend so I can resume making other finds. Sadly it has been really raining this week and I may have to wait for flood waters to recede.

I need a new goal. I reached #100 this afternoon when I finally got Second to Find on GC2FQNT.

Goal: same as ever....To NOT burn out. ;)

It's a struggle from time to time. Even I suffer from the It's not like it used to was blues ever so often. :rolleyes:

What he said! I am trying not to be frustrated by new cachers who don't respect the game.

Other then that, to continue finding caches in interesting places I never knew about or ones that give me a reason to visit a place I have been wanting to go to.

Oh an earlier post reminded me to find the Triad final

Edited by jellis

My goal would be too have fun and not take it too seriously.

I would like to meet other cachers and find some with them, so far I drag my husband along and our babies, he hates it!

My next goal in terms of finds is 100. It's pretty slow for me to find caches, as I have to take a 3 year old and 9 month old along with me.

To have FUN, see new places, see what's around the next bend in the trail.

To return from caches not scratched, bruised or bleeding.

Finish our 99 streak, and that will be it for numbers.

I personally fell hard for Earth Caches, I want to do as many as I can. Even though the kids don't like them.

This may be weird: to meet some of the people behind the names that I consistently see over and over on logbooks, and yes some of those people are here on the forums too.

Keep my kids interested in this game long term.

To crush your enemy, to see him driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women... :ph34r:

Seriously, though, I don't really have any specific "goals"...I enjoy adding a new state to my map or a new parish to my state map. I like to find new places, especially historic sites.

When planning a caching trip, I'll include everything in a given area we're planning to go as potential targets, but I try to make sure to include at least a couple of "awesome" caches with multiple Favorite points, and arrange the trip so those Favorited caches end up being the grand finale of the day...just to wrap things up on a high note :)

Last weekend was a good example, we included GC2KGKC "Lady Dolphin" and GC256KV "Acrophobia", and they were definitely the highlight of the day! Just the kind of caches that keep me coming back for more...you never know what you're gonna find! (although we DIDN'T find the final ((yet)) for Acrophobia...but the first stage was awesome just the same...)

No goal other than to allow the sport to bring me to places I would never have known were there. Always ALWAYS about the journey and the place. I started close to 4 years ago, took a break for a year and a half and while I am glad to see that caches evolved even more I am saddened to see how much more of a numbers game this is becoming. When I started, it was on the tail end of people setting up 1k tribute caches (becaise 1K was a big deal) now locally, the milestone forum it is nothing to see 10k, 20k and even 30k milestones being reached. I do not look down upon it, quite opposite I am amazed people put the time into thegame and share their stories. As well the game can be played so many different ways. I just think the highlight is a bit too bright on that aspect of the numbers and it degrades the quality of caches being hidden to more about quantity.

Edited by nthacker66

My main goal is to have fun of course, but if we're talking other ones...

It would be beyond awesome to top the most countries cached in list. Had I known about caching just a few years earlier I definitely would've been in the top 25 if not the top 10, as is I'm hoping to crack into the top 100 by this point next year (I'm 5 countries short, and in Europe this isn't a particularly insurmountable goal).

Hey, post bump! Let's see how we're doing a year later.

Short term goals (within the next three years):

- Get as many local challenge caches as possible (Alabama Delorme, Alabama county challenge, etc.) We've knocked out a few challenges and are almost done on the AL county and Delorme challenges -- just need the NW corner.

- Not run out of local caches before we move. Easy when we were living near Frankfurt, Germany (thousands of local hides); hard when we were living in Charlottesville, VA (less than 100 hides in 10 mile radius when we got there); fair to middlin' here in Montgomery (already found over 100 local caches in five months; fortunately there are still over 500 within 15 miles). Still plenty of caches around here to find.

Longer term goals:

- Get a "most found" D/T combo OTHER than 1/1. (Still hundreds of cache owners who refuse to adapt their ratings to the 1.5 default for non-handicap accessible.) Now it's 1.5/1.5, so, yay. (Was that really my first long term goal? Bo-ring.

- Get some of the older Well Rounded/Fizzy Challenges. We qualify for a bunch, but the older the cutoff dates for challenges, the more holes we've got.Gotten a few, need about eight more.

- Find a cache in all 50 states, eventually. I think we had cached in 26 states plus DC at this point; we added four more, so we're closer.

- Find caches in more countries! 35 just isn't enough. Still at 35, but we'll be in Japan next week.

- Cache outside of the Northern Hemisphere. Need more frequent flyer miles, tickets to Oceania, Africa and South America are a tad expensive.

- Fill in our European map. At least Western Europe. You really can't tell that Monaco and San Marino aren't filled in...but I know they're not. And that's not counting all the little odd dependencies. Haven't gotten back to Europe yet, but looking forward to it, whenever it happens.

I guess we're just going to have to get stationed in Germany again. Or maybe Japan. Still working on it. Two weeks in Japan will have to do for now. :laughing:

It would be beyond awesome to top the most countries cached in list. Had I known about caching just a few years earlier I definitely would've been in the top 25 if not the top 10, as is I'm hoping to crack into the top 100 by this point next year (I'm 5 countries short, and in Europe this isn't a particularly insurmountable goal).

Not sure how they calculate the top 10, but we'll be tied with #10 after next week. So we've got that going for us. :anibad:

Not sure how they calculate the top 10, but we'll be tied with #10 after next week. So we've got that going for us. :anibad:

Ha, well I'll need to work a little bit harder at it then. ;)

Seriously, I've half a mind to rent a car for a long weekend and just see how many countries I could get. You could surely get 5 new countries easy, it's like people in the USA who go on New England roadtrips I think.