Review the reviewers

Coldgears

Let's talk about our favorite reviewers and why they are our favorites. I have had two reviewers so far, and while I think they were both great Oreviewer was my favorite because of the fact that

Oreviewer

Positives

- helpful

- cares about cache placement

- reviews quickly

Edited by Coldgears

Wow, you guys are really looking to tick people off make friends aren't you. :rolleyes:

valleyforge.jpg

Not my fault valley forge has no real caches. I really want to go back and get three more earthcaches (It's only 30 mins away). Are you upset about that?

Oh and btw, if you could give me the coords for that "multi" that'd be great. ;)

It has nothing to do with the NPS policy on caches. I just think it is rude to start a thread to "review the reviewers". These are people that spend countless hours of work, unpaid, so that we can hunt tupperware in the woods. If you have a problem with one, deal with them directly, not here.

Problem with them? I gave nothing but praise did I not? I also encouraged others to praise there reviewers. I have no problems with any reviewer. I doubt anyone else will, I was just wondering what people thought of there local reviewer.

I will give an A+ to volunteers who do what can be a difficult task and keep the game going. I thank and appreciate all the reviewers in my area who have worked with me on traditional caches and helped out the caching community in numerous ways. I also thank and appreciate those who have reviewed the earthcaches I have developed. But even if I had a complaint I would not air it in a review.

Edited by mulvaney

While I appreciate the positives, the absurdity of the negatives likely portends a downward spiral for this discussion.

Fixed it!

No, not really. By editing your post, now you make my post look stupid and out of context. Don't hide behind your edited post and say you are only lavishing praise when your original post nitpicked my review of your cache.

By the way, "Find one benchmark" is not a challenge cache. Still.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the reviewers. I have to assume a certain amount of mental illness is required to do such a thankless job that often involves making hard decisions. Despite that handicap, I've got nothing but positive things to say. :rolleyes:

I've sent a couple of private notes in the past for how well certain delicate situations were handled and I hope other cachers do that as well. I'm sure the life of a reviewer involves far more negative comments than positive ones.

While I appreciate the positives, the absurdity of the negatives likely portends a downward spiral for this discussion.

Fixed it!

No, not really. By editing your post, now you make my post look stupid and out of context. Don't hide behind your edited post and say you are only lavishing praise when your original post nitpicked my review of your cache.

If a cacher wants to nitpick a review, he is entitled. God complex?

Sure it is.

NYAdmin has been great over the 6 years I've He/she and I have had some differences of opinion, but even when I've gotten kind of cranky NYAdmin has always remained courteous and professional. He has acknowledged when he was wrong (those pesky WMA's!) and has published most caches quickly. Most of the times I've had delays it was because he asked for information and clarification that I should have put in the listing in the first place. I've had 81 caches published and most have gone without a hitch!

The reviewers here in SoCal are just fine by me. Only problem I ever had was when one of them had a map that showed land that I live on as an Indian Reservation. They wouldn't clear me to put caches there because of their map. Finally we got around to having the discussion about why it couldn't possibly be an Indian Reservation and my caches were approved. No problems since. They stick to the rules, and make us do the same far as I can tell. Hard to argue with that.

Krypton and Nomex are my local reviewers. I have nothing but praise for anyone that would take that job. I couldn't imagine dealing with the complaints and whiney people that get their caches rejected. So much angst for no pay.

Geocaching couldn't survive (openly) without the job that reviewers do to keep the geocaching community from hiding caches in inappropriate places. You couldn't pay me to take that job.

Thanks to the reviewers for all they do!

Mtn-Man has been great for our area and recently published a slew of caches for a recent RACE (Release And Cache Event) event. He has always been fair when working within the guidelines. He also explained why a cache could not be allowed, even though others had been prior to changes in the rules. I'd like to welcome a new reviewer for us...Wizard of Ooze. Thanks to you both for what you do! Actually, thanks to all reviewers world wide - we appreciate you.

There are 1,230,978 active caches and an estimated 4-5 million geocachers worldwide. In the last 30 days, there have been 4,426,231 new logs submitted.

Every one of those caches, plus the uncounted archived ones, were reviewed and listed by a Volunteer Cache Reviewer.

Those numbers alone stand as an excellent review of our Reviewers! :rolleyes:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

RK, it is wonderful to see you posting here again. Your presence was missed.

yes, yes..... SO nice to the the Knight about these parts once more.

...been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the reviewers. I have to assume a certain amount of mental illness is required....

true dat ..

dogs make the best reviewers

NH Zamboni is our local reviewer here in New Hampshire.

He's great: prompt at publishing caches, or with asking for clarification or corrections with issues caches might have, helpful in the local forums, and a nice guy to meet.

A specific example: I submitted "North Star or NAVSTAR" for review on a Tuesday at 9 pm. By 9 am the next morning:

I appreciate your efforts to creating a unique cache hide however, have encountered a review issue that I don't have a precedence for and I'll need to consult with some fellow reviewers for clarification.

You don't need to take any action at this point. This is just a FYI to let you know that the review process may take a little longer than usual. Please be patient and I'll get back to you once I receive a few replies. It shouldn't be more than a day or two.

By 4 that afternoon, the cache was published, and I got a nice note from NHZ, passing on the praise for the cache from the other reviewers who looked at it.

I'd not have noticed if nothing had been done with the cache for a couple days, but he was quick to look at it, took fast action to get things clarified, and it was published before I even got a chance to read the first note.

I haven't had a whole lot of interaction with the reviewers in my area.

I submit something, it gets reviewed in a very timely manner,

Or if I put a "needs archiving" note on something, it gets attention and follow-up with no problem.

I think not having interaction with them is a great sign they do a great job. I don't have to interact with them much. They just DO IT.

The other unsung heros here are the forum moderators.

They've got a really tough job, yet come back with brilliance and patience repeatedly.

Briansnat must be one of the most often quoted people here on the forums. A lot of wisdom comes out of that guy that is wisdom beyond geocaching.

Keystone is another one I'm constantly impressed with. A lot of patience, yet he says the right thing at exactly the right time. And now and then something beyond patience is needed, and he steps up to the plate, not afraid to speak out what is needed.

but there are many great moderators here. I"m constantly impressed with how they handle difficult situations.

Edited by Sol seaker

Fixed it!

Wow, I feel as though you are biased against me. I have done nothing wrong. You act like it was impossible for me to have good intentions. I did have good intentions with this thread, when you pointed out what was wrong I fixed it. Not much different then how you mentioned what was wrong with my cache and I fixed that. I forgot you were on these forums or I probably would have thought twice. I wouldn't want to hurt someones feelings. :unsure:

I've only had on: GPSfun.

He enforces a lot of the crazy rules SC has imposed and that sometimes doesn't sit well with some cachers. I have never really had an issue on any of my caches, and he is quick with a response, and answers questions here on occasion.

Before NH Zamboni, GPSfun was the reviewer here in NH (and Maine, and Vermont!) in addition to SC (and maybe somewhere else?) Amazing to consider how much territory he covered, and he did it well! Thanks, GPSfun!!

I think it is really important for a reviewer to be tight on certain guide lines - we all are guilty of needing help and thinking about the contribution our cache is making to the game. I personally don't want this game to be a bother or problem to anyone and would probably be more strict if I was one.

My appreciation goes out the personal time each reviewer contributes to the game - glad I got a chance to say so!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I think I've dealt with eight reviewers (depending on how many reviewers use the same name...) All have been good, fair and helpful. Some are faster than others. (Had one who only seem to approve caches on Thursdays... Had another who e-mailed to say the coords were off, while I was still working on the page! (That's when I learnt to make the page inactive until I was finished.)) They are different people, and do work differently. I was surprised to have one ask how to solve the puzzle (to make sure it was solvable.)

My hat's off to the reviewers! They're great people, and do great work!

I think I've dealt with eight reviewers (depending on how many reviewers use the same name...)

My understanding is that there are only two reviewers, mtn-man and erik. All the others are just their sock-puppets.

My hat's off to the reviewers! They're great people, and do great work!

Agreed!

Krypton and Nomex are my local reviewers. I have nothing but praise for anyone that would take that job. I couldn't imagine dealing with the complaints and whiney people that get their caches rejected. So much angst for no pay.

Geocaching couldn't survive (openly) without the job that reviewers do to keep the geocaching community from hiding caches in inappropriate places. You couldn't pay me to take that job.

Thanks to the reviewers for all they do!

I will have to agree with this post!! We are lucky to be in NorCal!

Mtn-Man has been great for our area and recently published a slew of caches for a recent RACE (Release And Cache Event) event. He has always been fair when working within the guidelines. He also explained why a cache could not be allowed, even though others had been prior to changes in the rules. I'd like to welcome a new reviewer for us...Wizard of Ooze. Thanks to you both for what you do! Actually, thanks to all reviewers world wide - we appreciate you.

+1

When we started caching, there was a reviewer, who shall remain nameless...keystone.jpg who was such a pain in the butt....he actually expected you to know the guidelines...follow the rules.....what a pain!! He would actually expect you to do things right...lol He drove my son crazy, but he learned that Keystone was right, there guidelines are there for a reason. I think my sons hides have become better by having a tighter rein on him by our great reviewers. Keystone, skeetsurfer and the 2 we have dealt with the most and they do a wonderful job! Thanks to all the volunteers and employees of Groundspeak for all you do to make this wonderful adventure happen!

Never underestimate the power of quoting someone you are responding to.
A good point, one I've never thought about before. Always thought of those who were first to respond to a post but quoted the entire post as just wasting bandwidth. Now, if they're in a situation where their response might be made to look bad by an edit, I'll only think of it as slightly less aggravating. :D
A good point, one I've never thought about before. Always thought of those who were first to respond to a post but quoted the entire post as just wasting bandwidth. Now, if they're in a situation where their response might be made to look bad by an edit, I'll only think of it as slightly less aggravating. :D

From what I've recently learned, 'QFT' (Quoted For Truth), which I've only ever used as a synonym for '+1', had its origins in internets folks quoting controversial posts for exactly the above reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QFT

I want to praise our local reviewer NYAdmin!

I am not the biggest hider, I know my limits for maintenance. But as far as being available and on top of keeping things under control in a huge metropolitan area where you know we are all a bunch of thugs :D

Hir does a fantastic job. It can't be easy and whats more the money stinks. But it's not thankless.

So Thanks NYAdmin!