TB police.. Not

Brooklyn51

Not too long ago, we dropped a particularly cute TB into an interesting cache. Because it was such an interesting cache, I went back a couple of weeks later to read the subsequent logs, which is something I enjoy doing and noticed that the TB we had dropped was picked up by a novice cacher, who noted it in their log but did not log it into their inventory. With a bit of reservation, I wrote to them and suggested, very diplomatically, that perhaps it was time for them to log it and offered to help them with the process. They wrote back and thanked me for my offer as they didn't really know quite what to do with the TB and in very short order we got it straightened out and they moved it on within a few days. Ok, happy ending that time but I'm not sure how appropriate it is to get involved in other people's TBs. It probably fits better into the scope for the owner to follow up rather than a previous holder, but I noticed there might be a problem since as far as the owner knew it was still safely in the cache. So, how involved do you get?

Me? Very, but I have learned a few things over time. Cold contacting someone can be a bit tricky and if you approach another cacher with anything less than a helpful smile it's put that person on the defensive and they usually stop responding (and never log the bug properly).

I would rather see people come here first and say, here's the situation, how should I approach it? Maybe get some assistance on gathering details of what happened.

You've probably seen people come here to the forums with an axe to grind. "This has to be fixed now!" "They are stealing bugs!"

Very bad approach to getting a bug back in circulation.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Having dropped a TB in a cache, I've made contact with the next finder of the TB (a newish cacher, without any TB finds!) to help them log it and drop it off in the cache they left it in.

I think it's best for the TB owner to sort things out, unless you have a connection with the TB - having dropped it off, or you're the next finder of the TB, or it's dropped/retrieved into or out of your cache.

.... I went back a couple of weeks later to read the subsequent logs, which is something I enjoy doing and noticed that the TB we had dropped was picked up by a novice cacher, who noted it in their log but did not log it into their inventory. With a bit of reservation, I wrote to them and suggested, very diplomatically, that perhaps it was time for them to log it and offered to help them with the process....

While it may be ideal for the TB owner to do all this. YOU were the one who had the details. The TB owner can be 1000 miles over. The cache owner may not really be into TB's enough to worry about it.

So you did a good thing because you were in the position to both do it and know whats going on.

Based on your post here and how you said you help, you seem diplomatic enough to handle these kids of issues simply enough. If they growl at you. Just let it go and move on to the next one where you may be of some help.

I had released my first TB in september at the TB hotel in San Francisco. This person picked up 7 TB's from there on 9/18 and only marked them as discovered even though he stated he had them in his possession and would be moving them on. I politely emailed him and explained how he needed to properly log that he retrieved the bug instead of discovering it. He still hasnt fixed the problem and has screwed up several bugs and the owners of the cache have marked them as missing. Later he dropped a few of them. He still has mine. I emailed him again and asked him to please release my bug or to return it to me and I would be more than happy to pay for the postage. Still no reply.

What should I do now? This guy is new to caching and still hasnt figured out how to do it even though I did explain it to him, and I would still like to see my bug move or to be returned to me.