Best Hide to find Ratio...

Delons

Let me be the first to say that the ratio is completely unimportant. You should only hide as many as you can properly maintain.

From my own perspective, I only hide caches when I have a good reason to bring people to a particular place. ("to find a cache" is not a good enough reason in itself for me). I have a ratio of about 60 finds per hide.

Let me be the first to say that the ratio is completely unimportant. You should only hide as many as you can properly maintain.

From my own perspective, I only hide caches when I have a good reason to bring people to a particular place. ("to find a cache" is not a good enough reason in itself for me). I have a ratio of about 60 finds per hide.

+1 ;) mine is 24:1 even though it's completely unimportant. :rolleyes:

Right now my find to hide ratio is 6:2, what do you like?

I like whatever the individual feels is appropriate for himself. Mine is roughly 5:2 and that is appropriate for me. There are people who have ratios in the 1,000:1 range and if they feel that is best for them, then who am I to argue with them?

That's kind of high. But what's your mobility like...do you drive? You're 15 years old, correct? So I'm guessing you can't go too far from home, so you may not be able to find more then a dozen or so. If you really like hiding caches go ahead, but make them good caching experiences - good watertight durable containers. Place them in nice locations, the kind of place you want to proudly show to visitors and would enjoy returning to make needed maintenance visits. You may also want to wait another month before your next hide. You're a new member (Wednesday, 20 October 2010). Wait another month to see if you are still interested in the game. See how it feels to take care of the 2 you currently have. Spend a month looking for good locations and if you still enjoy geocaching, plant some more.

Edited by Lone R

I haven't hidden any yet because I wanted to get an idea of what people enjoyed finding and what held up to the elements here. I then had to think about what I had time to maintain. I only have enough time to maintain 1 or 2 caches the way I figure.

And then I didn't hide any yet because I have sought out spots and then proceeded to get permission for the hides because I wanted to be a good steward of geocaching. So after much research and contact with people I got the permission I needed.

Now I'm trying to secure appropriate containers. From what I can see winter is bearing down on us and I likely will not put any out until next spring if I find the containers over the winter.

That's kind of high. But what's your mobility like...do you drive? You're 15 years old, correct? So I'm guessing you can't go too far from home, so you may not be able to find more then a dozen or so. If you really like hiding caches go ahead, but make them good caching experiences - good watertight durable containers. Place them in nice locations, the kind of place you want to proudly show to visitors and would enjoy returning to make needed maintenance visits. You may also want to wait another month before your next hide. You're a new member (Wednesday, 20 October 2010). Wait another month to see if you are still interested in the game. See how it feels to take care of the 2 you currently have. Spend a month looking for good locations and if you still enjoy geocaching, plant some more.

No, I'm just 12...

;) It nice to see a young person of your age enjoying themself caching. You have been given some very good input to your question. I'd much rather be known as someone who put out a few really good hides with excellant coords. rather than as someone who puts out a whole lot of not so great hides. Find good locations, water tight containers and spot on coords. Don't just copy the same not so great hides that others put out. Be creative, a few really interesting caches add much more to the game than 100 more film cans in uninteresting places. You can do it! Good luck with your caching! :rolleyes:

As others have said, there's no right answer. It comes down to how many you can maintain.

There's another high school aged cacher here in CT who has over 40 hides, and they are all good. He rides his bike to them, and they are all well maintained. He has some further way that his parents drive him to if he needs to work on them.

I'd say place a couple, see how things go. If you get good reviews and people seem to like them, hide a couple more. Just don't go crazy and hide a bunch just for the sake of hiding them. Put them in cool places that mean something to you and others will appreciate seeing.

Edited by Skippermark

It was 2:2 until you found 4 more yesterday.

does it bug anyone else that those two posts don't say 3:1 and 1:1? :unsure:

LOL. It doesn't bug me, but I was sort of thinking the same thing. A 2:2 ratio isn't bad. A 2 hider would most likely be able to maintain that amount of hides. Even a 4:6 hider shouldn't have too much problem.

It would be better to know the true number of hides rather than a ratio. A 6:2 ratio seems a lot different than 1926:642.

It was 2:2 until you found 4 more yesterday.

Do you REALLY want to know what I think of that?

;)

I suppose that a 'thank you' would be appropriate, but that's probably not what you were going for. :unsure:

Thank you for what? For holding my tongue? I don't feel like getting bounced out of here just yet.

He placed two caches for the rest of us to find (the same as you, I might add). He didn't have to do it. He did it as a service to us. As such, he doesn't deserve your snark.

Edited by sbell111

3 hides for 24,000 finds

2500 hides for 2100 finds

You happen to know the highest number of finds without a hide?

I checked a different list to the one I was using above and I came across someone with 13,000+ finds and no hides.

Looks like it to me. Since 13,000 puts you in the top 100 in the world, it doesn't take much to check. No names, of course. :D

You can't be 100% sure that person never hid or owned caches though, they could have moved away from a location, and put them all up for adoption. Generally people in the 10,000+ club have hidden hundreds themselves, but there's a small number of low hiders in there. I know of a 10,000+ finder with 4 or 5 hides. And there was definitely no adoption of old hides there.

3 hides for 24,000 finds

2500 hides for 2100 finds

You happen to know the highest number of finds without a hide?

I checked a different list to the one I was using above and I came across someone with 13,000+ finds and no hides.

Looks like it to me. Since 13,000 puts you in the top 100 in the world, it doesn't take much to check. No names, of course. :D

You can't be 100% sure that person never hid or owned caches though, they could have moved away from a location, and put them all up for adoption. Generally people in the 10,000+ club have hidden hundreds themselves, but there's a small number of low hiders in there. I know of a 10,000+ finder with 4 or 5 hides. And there was definitely no adoption of old hides there.

Not that it matters, but some people shouldn't hide caches.

A road warrior may have the ability to find gazoodles of caches while away from home, but doesn't wish to be shackled to game responsibilities during those rare times that he is home.