Disk Updates

NGS Surveyor

In the next few weeks I plan to update my paper on U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey, National Ocean Service, and National Geodetic Survey survey marks. I have quite a few updates written in the margins of my paper copy. Most of these updates have come from my reviewing the many mark recoveries logged on Geocaching – thanks to all of you!

So, anyone with corrections, comments, or additions (such as finding a style of disk not in the paper, or a disk setting date outside the range of known dates in the paper), please respond here or email them to me by November 15.

To review the current version of the paper, go to the USC&GS History page at: http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/web/about_ngs/hist...dexhUSCGS.shtml

And scroll down to “Bottles, Pots, and Pans: Marking the Surveys of the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey and NOAA , or click directly on the “Bottles…” link above.

Thanks,

GeorgeL

NGS

I found an interesting variation of a USLS disk at QK0513 - a reference mark type not shown on your paper.

When I first stumbled over it, I assumed it was an azimuth mark from the stamping.

Subsequent measurements and perusal of the data sheet led me to conclude it's RM2.

You're welcome to use any of the photos involved. I may have higher-resolution photos off-line.

Recovery of nearby QK0568 (from 1851) was our primary reason for traveling this portion of the Lake Huron shoreline.

The location is a PID-rich site; we found 5 in 45 minutes time searching one cedar thicket. It's a great memory...

Here's a picture of RM2 at MAST S 1909 (QK0513)... note how it's stamped at bottom center 1940 S

8c057ea7-b18f-47ae-aee0-448d7a35e703.jpg

Any chance of a PID, L/L & photo of your secret new disk? kayakbird

Sorry about that, KU2378 is the one I found on Vacation.

This is the first one that I submitted to the NGS and hope I gave needed info. After reading more info here on the forums I realized that I might catch some slack for my update.

When I do start updating additional BM's to the NGS I will seek help from others that submit regularly to make sure that it reads professionally and legible.

If you look on the GC listing for the BM you can see an image of the BM.

Gene G.

GRG