Garmin Map62s Cannot unlock maps message

NevaP

I installed Mapsource City Navigator, unlocked it. Somewhere in the process I entered my Garmin 62s serial number and it gave it an ID number. I downloaded maps for a couple states from into the Map62s. When I turn it on the first screen that appears says "cannot unlock maps" That screen goes away when I click OK.

But the maps are there and they seem to be functioning. They are showing routes and giving turn by turn instructions to get to geocache locations.

Do I have a problem or can I just ignore this message?

I installed Mapsource City Navigator, unlocked it. Somewhere in the process I entered my Garmin 62s serial number and it gave it an ID number. I downloaded maps for a couple states from into the Map62s. When I turn it on the first screen that appears says "cannot unlock maps" That screen goes away when I click OK.

But the maps are there and they seem to be functioning. They are showing routes and giving turn by turn instructions to get to geocache locations.

Do I have a problem or can I just ignore this message?

i have the same problem with CityNav. still haven't got it to work, even though my maps are UNLOCKED on MAPSOURCE

I had the same problem with the "maps not unlocked" thing. I called Garmin, connected my GPSr to the computer. They emailed me a .gma file that I had to then download to the GPSr's "garmin" folder. Everything worked fine after that.

Glad to hear you got a solution. I have already sent an e-mail to Garmin support. If I don't hear from them in a few days I will call them.

Look for any .IMG files on the device and the card if it has one.

Garmin support sent me a very detailed click by click process (which was really appreciated since I am not very intuitive about all this stuff) for getting a gmapprom.unl file into the device.

This didn't help.

But then I remembered that the storage card I had installed, which had been in my Map60, had something on it. This was a IMG file. I deleted it. The "cannot unlock maps" message disappeared. I assume that the file, which would have been the old maps on the Map60, which were unlocked for that unit, was interfering with the new maps on the Map62.

NevaP, who at her age still thinks all this is done by magic. :)