separate caching - allowed? not done? forbidden?

hello,

one of the team members is staying at home in Europe while the other is on a business trip to Japan and California.

The trip takes about a fortnight.

Of course it's interesting to have founds on different continents, so it's easy to guess who took the Garmin. :huh:

Is it allowed for the other half-team to go on with caching in the home area while one of the team members dwells somewhere else?

Is it OK to do, or 'not done'? What do you think?

What you do with your Garmin while away from home is between you and your S/O :huh:

Seriously, IMHO, if you are a husband wife team (or other similar variation), I would say OK. If you are a bunch of friends that cache on weekends together, not as OK. Just make sure the other team member does not log caches at the same time, on the other side of the globe.

I'm sure others will have other opinions.

Some people will whine about it, but it's your choice.

Agreed. It's a personal choice.

When my wife and I started caching, we found every cache together (for at least the first 100). After that she wasn't interested in caching as much as I was. We agreed that the account was my account and that if she wanted to start caching on her own then she would create her own account (which never happened).

My mom and dad are in the same situation.

However my sister/brother-in-law share an account and both contribute their individual finds to it.

My husband recently had a business trip in Chicago where he found our first international cache! I couldn't go with him but I wasn't going to sit at home and not geocache at all while he was gone. In fact I attended our local monthly Geocaching supper. Nothing wrong with that.

Some couples like the friendly competition. Others find that their jobs send them in different directions. Others like being a team as do many families. What ever works for them.

I'd say that the major two arguments for geocaching in cases not in the guidelines are these two:

1. Is it fun for 'me'? (with me being the team members in this case)

2. Is it affecting others in a negative way? (Stuff like stealing caches or posting fake founds on missing caches could go here. Stuff like "I wanted the FTF but he was there first" obviously don't :-) )

If the answer to (1) is yes and the answer to (2) is no, there's nothing wrong with it.

Just make sure the other team member does not log caches at the same time, on the other side of the globe.

I'm sure others will have other opinions.

Yep, I have a different opinion on this part--

Some people might question why your team has "caches at the same time, on the other side of the globe,"

but you have a good explanation, so don't worrry about it; just do it.

my wife and I cache together under my account. I've thought about creating a "team" account or having her get her own account to log her own finds...but meh...I don't care that much.

I've done some caches (especially recently) without her, and she strongly considered hunting for a few when she has been on business trips to Seattle or Minneapolis or San Diego without me. but the timing hasn't worked out for her to split from her work trips to cache a little.

Don't sweat it. I make finds by myself all the time and the wife will make finds when she goes out with the kids and I'm at work. All these finds go into the collective stats under "Castle Mischief".

I think the only problem would be if you both had your own individual accounts and you both logged finds when only one of you was there. But, clearly that's not the situation.

My wife and i cache as a team and there has been a few times when i went hiking with friends to get some caches and while i was gone my wife went caching with the kids or with friends. I see no problem with it.

Sure we get hassled by all the local cachers every now and then but they are all our friends and its all in good fun.

So its very much Allowed! :rolleyes:;):)

We have a joint account. Most of the time, we do our caching together, or I (husband) do it solo; for the most part, my wife doesn't enjoy caching solo. But when the better half went to Vegas with her mom in August, she snapped up a bunch of virtuals along the Strip, and I did some caching here at home. She leaves the logging to me, though, so when she got back, I used her cache notes and photos and logged them all on one day so there wouldn't be a back-and-forth.

Since we started caching, we haven't been apart for more than a couple of weeks. Not sure how much caching she would do on the home front if I had to deploy again, but then again, she's enjoyed going out to events and we've made some good caching friends here, so who knows? I guess we'll figure it out when the time comes.

... What do you think?

A team is a team. Each can log on their own their separate finds as part of the team and increase the team finds. Or they can hunt together and log together. It's up to the team.

The only time I would think it's cheesy would be if the individual members of the team all log a find on a cache so the "Team" has 10 finds on one cache, one for each member. That would be a bit much.

Wow, such a lot of responses and personal ideas! Thanks! :rolleyes:

So, well, at least it isn't against any Groundspeak Rules. That's a good thing.

Yes, we are a married couple. We nearly find all of our caches together. Caching together is part of the fun, isn't it?

We try to add a nice Earthcache on every 50th found (didn't bother at first). We are not sure if the travelling SO will have enough time in LA to make it to number 450. That is why we thought perhaps the home SO can add up the number of finds in the background. Real finds, no couch ones.

The idea of putting a note about the situation in the logs makes sense, thanks. ;)

While I do have a partner I would not think of going caching without we are not listed as a team, though I do log everything as Hoyshooter and HurricaneK. However she does now have her own account so I'll probably end up logging us as a team and she'll probably also log some on her own account. She's actually been a bit better and finding things than I have though I've shown her up a few times. :rolleyes: